Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-01-2011, 10:31   #1

Location: back on Gold Coast after sailing north to Thailand then east to Pacific via Irian Jaya, PNG & Solomons
Boat: Tennant 47ft Catamaran
Question Don't Equalise AGMs - Is that a Myth ?

Now, I am really confused.
over at the Offshore Voyagers site they have been running a six month test on new AGM's that were supplied for fre by Life Line after their previous 3 sets turned up their heels in less than a year. Lifeline AGM Batteries Test Part 2

The recommendation from Life Line was that if you couldn't fully charge them after each discharge, you should equalise them once every month.

At the 6 month stage their new batteries seem to be as happy as a pigs in mud with the monthly equalisation and not discharging below 85% of their capacity.

Wot to do??
I have always read that the perceived wisdom was that AGM's should NEVER be equalised. WTF

svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 10:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Lifeline batteries are the only ones that I know of where the manufacturer recommends equalization. There may be others. It has been discussed in this forum many times. Proper procedures have to be followed so as to not off gas the batteries.

Old 23-01-2011, 10:51   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
i did mine-- still works. i also did my 6vs--trojans-- they still work. i will also tap with mallet, as the battery folks have been seen doing as i watch the work get done--i save my 50 dollars now and do it meself.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 11:23   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.
I would always follow the battery manufactures recommendations.
Be careful with the equalization voltage however. There is not much room for error at these voltages. Check with a calibrated multimeter at the battery.
Donít forget to turn off other electrics as a precaution. It rarely causes a problem, but some electronics cannot tolerate the higher voltages
Old 23-01-2011, 11:30   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
sulfates collect and require dissipation as a result of lack o f use. i found this as i left my formosa for 1 yr and had to re charge from 25 percent...sokmeone put my solar panels in wrong position..LOL.....a mallet to the right location on battry was the method the rep used to "equalize" the batts that were taken in to him--is how i do mine now, saving me 50-60 per battery. is your choice. your wallet, your experience, your choice. i know what works and i do that. i learned from reps and mechanix over a period of time since 1966, when i started to drive....have fun and good luck with the batteries. mine should live another 3-4 yrs. there is a battery maintenance site online, also--- might want to consult that site. i found it by typing in batttery maintenance into my search bar.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: