Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2018, 17:16   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Does portable generator plug into shore power outlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
One word: Solar Panels
Ummm... that was actually two words

My Honda only comes out in dark and gloomy anchorages where a glimpse of the sun would be a fine and wonderful sight.............
Old 13-05-2018, 19:15   #17

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The venerable Honda for example is available in two models for the US version, all this is US 110V 60hz only, rest of the world is of course different.
I have been cruising in Mexico for several months. Because "everyone knows" the rest of the world is of course different, I was pleasantly surprised to find all my adapters are not needed.
Power in Mexico is 110v 60hz AC.
Old 13-05-2018, 19:35   #18

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Yes, I plug my EU2000 directly into the shore power receptacle on the boat using an adapter. It is just like plugging in from shore power except that you only have about 16amps AC instead of 30-50 amps. However, you will get much better charging of your batteries than with solar. My EU2000 will charge my 400ah lead acid bank through an older Freedom 20 charger at 14.5 V and 75amps under bulk charge. You would need over 1000 watts of solar to get this kind of charging.

As far as CO emissions are concerned, if you run the generator on the deck in a location that is downwind of the cabin with a sufficient breeze, I don't see any problem. I do have a CO detector in my salon and it has never been triggered.
Old 14-05-2018, 08:25   #19
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick brooks View Post
here is a electrician note; if generator has a ground fault device this device monitors voltage potential between ground and neutral if boats electrical has been bonded this will trip device. then lies dilemma would not consider safe to modify cord. fair winds
Incorrect.

A ground fault device monitors current through L1 (black, line, or hot) and compares it to the current through L2 (white, neutral). If different (by more than 5 mA) the lost current is assumed to be to ground (which could be through a person) and the GFCI trips.

Grounding (green or green with yellow stripe) has absolutely no bearing on GFCI operation. You don't even need to have one.

For any marine AC source (including a shore power isolation transformer), according to ABYC, the neutral and grounding, must be connected at the source (only).

So if neutral and ground is connected at the generator and no where else (when the generator is supplying current), it is an ABYC compliant source of AC electrical current (assuming proper voltage and frequency to suit the vessel electrical system).

Yes, heed CO warnings.
Old 14-05-2018, 08:35   #20

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
One word: Solar Panels
Thats two words!!
Old 15-05-2018, 00:49   #21
Marine Service Provider

I bought one online in 2004 (Honda Eu 10i portable generator) from Australia and had the vendors ship it to HK. Couldn't find any agent or merchant in HK who could sell me a new Honda gennie cheaper; all said they'd import directly from Japan. I'm afraid I can't trace my paperwork on the purchase. Note that should you buy an Australian model you'd need to get an adapter for the socket on the gennie (same as mainland China plug, so easy to get an adapter). Am currently looking for someone / somewhere to service the gennie, as up to now all it's needed has been a new spark plug, air filter and regular oil changes. It needs a major overhaul now, but this is the first in its 11 years of service.
Old 15-05-2018, 03:46   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, CJM.

Old 15-05-2018, 05:56   #23
CJM

Boat: Island Packet 31

Thanks
Old 15-05-2018, 05:59   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Does portable generator plug into shore power outlet.

I have never seen anything like a Honda suitcase gen overhauled, not lately anyway.
I used to Briggs and Stratton engines and the like, but that was years ago and only ones that were really successful were the ones that had steel liners.
I assume the Honda has a steel liner, but it may not. Most if not all of their bikes do not, there are very successful coatings for aluminum cylinders now, but unfortunately I believe that makes it so they cannot be bored out.
Old 15-05-2018, 06:21   #25

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Incorrect.

A ground fault device monitors current through L1 (black, line, or hot) and compares it to the current through L2 (white, neutral). If different (by more than 5 mA) the lost current is assumed to be to ground (which could be through a person) and the GFCI trips.

Grounding (green or green with yellow stripe) has absolutely no bearing on GFCI operation. You don't even need to have one.

For any marine AC source (including a shore power isolation transformer), according to ABYC, the neutral and grounding, must be connected at the source (only).

So if neutral and ground is connected at the generator and no where else (when the generator is supplying current), it is an ABYC compliant source of AC electrical current (assuming proper voltage and frequency to suit the vessel electrical system).

Yes, heed CO warnings.
Incorrect!

L2 is never white or neutral. White or neutral is call 'N'. L2 refers to the second hot in a split phase system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120V-240V-Single-Phase-Power-Sketch.png
Views:	121
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	169834  
Old 15-05-2018, 06:27   #26

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Late to the thread, but fwiw last year our inboard diesel generator was busted and so we ended up with a Yamaha 2kw - a lot like the very popular Honda, but blue . We put it on the sugar scoop back aft when at anchor or on a mooring and used a short cord (a cut-down 12/3 extension cord wired into a 30a plug) to plug it into the shore power inlet. We had to turn the water heater off and keep the governor off until the battery charger (50 amp) came up to speed - then it would work just fine.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Old 15-05-2018, 08:12   #27
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Incorrect!

L2 is never white or neutral. White or neutral is call 'N'. L2 refers to the second hot in a split phase system.
Incorrect.

While the diagram you posted is correct for a standard 240 Vac centre-tapped (split phase)transformer electrical supply, the description I provided is used for 110 Vac single phase connections.

Terminal descriptions for the latter may be L/N/G or L1/L2/G.

(One needs to refer to the manufacturer's wiring diagram for L and N association with L1 and L2 as these can be reversed depending on whose equipment it is.)

Note that for GFCIs, both line and neutral connections are simply referred to as "Line", one is brass (hot connection) and the other silver (neutral connection).

http://www.electriciansmesaaz.com/gf...ring-diagrams/
Old 15-05-2018, 08:43   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I occasionally use my Honda EU2000i to charge the batteries, using an adaptor cable between the generator and the boat shore-power plug. It works very well.

One potential problem though: My battery charger (an older "Heart / Link 2000R") can take more power than the Honda can deliver and will pop the generator circuit breaker if I let it. Fortunately, the charger let's me reduce the charging current. I back it down until the generator is comfortable and it all runs fine.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 15-05-2018, 09:07   #29

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Incorrect.

While the diagram you posted is correct for a standard 240 Vac centre-tapped (split phase)transformer electrical supply, the description I provided is used for 110 Vac single phase connections.

Terminal descriptions for the latter may be L/N/G or L1/L2/G.

(One needs to refer to the manufacturer's wiring diagram for L and N association with L1 and L2 as these can be reversed depending on whose equipment it is.)

Note that for GFCIs, both line and neutral connections are simply referred to as "Line", one is brass (hot connection) and the other silver (neutral connection).

Wiring A GFCI Outlet | How To Wire Line And Load Schematics
Rod,

You are wrong, 'N' and 'L2' are not interchangeable terms in a US 120v single phase system.

On GFCIs, the designation for "Line" refers to the 'set of terminals' where the feed circuit is connected, the individual terminals within that set are 'L' and 'N'. The other set of terminals are labeled "Load" which is the downstream receptacles that are protected by the GF interrupter. The "Load" set of terminals are also labeled 'L' and 'N'.
Old 15-05-2018, 09:56   #30

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
I have been cruising in Mexico for several months. Because "everyone knows" the rest of the world is of course different, I was pleasantly surprised to find all my adapters are not needed.
Power in Mexico is 110v 60hz AC.
"US" and "North America" are often used synonomously, typically unintentionally. This is a good list for anyone interested. There are other areas even outside of North America that use 110v60h, namely Japan.
Closed Thread

Tags
generator, plug, shore power