Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2018, 10:04   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Dockhand plugged my 30A 120 into 30A 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Your problem is the evolution of language. I used to get upset with people calling themselves "Programmers" when they manipulated a program like"Excel" for others. Iwas a programmer when it meant entering ones and zeros to create a program like Excel. I didnt like the "inflation of terms" because it belittiled mywork. BUT I GOT OVER IT and went with the evolution of language. You, however, dont like being equated to "this girl". OK, get over it. Electrolysis is an accepted term for the process. Do you think your mechanic that services your Jaguar is any less capable because he uses "F***ing" in every other sentence? English is NOT the be all and end all of languages. Yes even the French, that dont even speak English, are educated!!
Maybe you should get your nails done while you're at it
A cup of green tea may also help stabilize your electrolytes which are clearly out of balance

PS. I sold my 64' Jaguar in 1994 and am convinced by that experience that English people should not be allowed to play with electricity.
Old 13-08-2018, 10:27   #107

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You could always hire this girl to take care of your electrolysis issues.
Is that the best you have to offer? You have her number?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 11:14   #108
Marine Service Provider

I have to admit that I'm confused when people tell me that reverse is the same as forward due to the evolution of language.
Old 13-08-2018, 11:35   #109
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Would you rather hire a Certified Marine Electrician who knows the science of what he is doing or one who picked up his education from other dock talkers.
I just meant here in the forums.

If the term is so commonly used, may be pointless to keep correcting people.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 11:46   #110
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I just meant here in the forums.

If the term is so commonly used, may be pointless to keep correcting people.
The point is that many people use the term to refer to all electrically related corrosion issues. Some use "electrolysis" to refer to galvanic corrosion while some use it to refer to stray current corrosion, others because they parrot what they've heard on the forums. Unless everyone uses the same reference point reasonable advice cannot be given. No one, absolutely no one trained in these issues will use that term because it is simply incorrect and is a different electro chemical process altogether.

What the hell if you want to believe it's the same thing as galvanic or stray current corrosion and that forwards is backwards because that's acceptable on the internet. Have at it
Old 13-08-2018, 12:46   #111

Quote:
Maybe you should get your nails done while you're at it
A cup of green tea may also help stabilize your electrolytes which are clearly out of balance

PS. I sold my 64' Jaguar in 1994 and am convinced by that experience that English people should not be allowed to play with electricity.
I'm guessing an XK150. I'd like a 120 with the aluminum body. I'm afraid either would be cost excessive today. Nice looking engines with the cast valve covers. Probably good for a Sunday drive reliability wise.
Old 13-08-2018, 13:05   #112

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

As a fellow OCD sufferer I feel Boatpoker's pain. There really is a difference between electrolysis and galvanic corrosion. They refer to completely different processes even though on the dock they are interchangeable. Much like the way folks say their prop is 'cavitating' when it comes out of the water when they actually mean 'ventilating'. Two completely different processes that have become synonymous in common usage. You are free to use the wrong term, people will know what you are talking about, you just shed a layer of credibility.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 13:16   #113

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm guessing an XK150. I'd like a 120 with the aluminum body. I'm afraid either would be cost excessive today. Nice looking engines with the cast valve covers. Probably good for a Sunday drive reliability wise.
The reliability reputation is not deserved. Jaguars are very reliable if properly maintained. Problems arise because people buy a $50,000 car and think it doesnt need maintenance. I have owned many Jaguars and at present own two, a 1970 XKE and a 1982 XJ6. I wrote the book, "The XJ6 Jaguar from Bumper to Bumper", when I owned three of them. They are reliable if maintained.

However one of the faults that is often mentioned is that they overheat. Its that reputation that usually gets people calling them unreliable....especially here in Texas. Well, actually, they dont. But Jaguar in their infinite wisdom suggested in the maintenance manuals that once a year you add some "Stops Leaks" to the radiator. After about 6-8 years the lower tank is just a solid brick of stop leaks and it stops the radiator. Bingo, overheats.

You want to get a bargain on a 1980s XJ6, look for one the owner wants to shed because it overheats. Offer 10 cents on the dollar then remove the radiator and clean out the stops leaks and never put any more in it again.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 13:29   #114

Quote:
The reliability reputation is not deserved. Jaguars are very reliable if properly maintained. Problems arise because people buy a $50,000 car and think it doesnt need maintenance. I have owned many Jaguars and at present own two, a 1970 XKE and a 1982 XJ6. I wrote the book, "The XJ6 Jaguar from Bumper to Bumper", when I owned three of them. They are reliable if maintained.

However one of the faults that is often mentioned is that they overheat. Its that reputation that usually gets people calling them unreliable....especially here in Texas. Well, actually, they dont. But Jaguar in their infinite wisdom suggested in the maintenance manuals that once a year you add some "Stops Leaks" to the radiator. After about 6-8 years the lower tank is just a solid brick of stop leaks and it stops the radiator. Bingo, overheats.

You want to get a bargain on a 1980s XJ6, look for one the owner wants to shed because it overheats. Offer 10 cents on the dollar then remove the radiator and clean out the stops leaks and never put any more in it again.
It sounds like good info.. sounds like rodding the radiator also, which is no big deal.
Old 13-08-2018, 13:55   #115
cruiser

Quote:
Some use "electrolysis" to refer to galvanic corrosion while some use it to refer to stray current corrosion
If there are two separate processes that can both be referred to by the same incorrect term, then I'm with you.

Precision in communications can be important.

Just that sometimes it's pedantically insisted upon for no good reason, when it's 1:1 and everyone knows the meaning intended.

Obviously not in this case
Old 13-08-2018, 15:57   #116

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

After 2.5 pages of this debate, I thought I would change topics and get back to what I understand is the successful resolution of the OP's post.

Proper connection to EU Marinas with American 30a/120v and 50a/240v Systems.

I am interested how one properly or cleverly resolve this problem, other than using solar and alternator.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 06:50   #117
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
After 2.5 pages of this debate, I thought I would change topics and get back to what I understand is the successful resolution of the OP's post.

Proper connection to EU Marinas with American 30a/120v and 50a/240v Systems.

I am interested how one properly or cleverly resolve this problem, other than using solar and alternator.
See post 80
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 07:29   #118

Quote:

-derail - useful advice, but I've known a few CEOs and corner-office types who had new Jags in the 90s... and they were aggravations to own, with things going wrong on them far too frequently. One president I know who had a Jag in the 90s replaced it with a Lexus. He was so happy with it that he bought a second one shortly after for his wife, and he did an ad for Lexus inn the following year.

This mirrors my own experience with Japanese vehicles - they're well designed, above-average reliability, and they just go and go and go.
/derail
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 07:38   #119

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Yeah, I picked up a 13 year old Lexus LS 430 last year with 50K on the clock. It is bulletproof. I just bought a 2 year old Lexus hybrid for my daughter last month. Look to be better than the Rolls.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 08:09   #120
cruiser

I sold my first-year LS400 nearly 20 years ago for 180K.

Got an email from the buyer's son last year, Laotian engineer now in CA. Says he's got it up to 400+K, reckons they've averaged under $2000 a year for service and repairs, done on a schedule by dealers, following all their recommendations, everything according to the factory manuals, no dickering on price.

He says he keeps getting offers for well over what I sold it for to his dad. They're considering having all the seat leather re-done custom.

Tags
dock, plug