Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 18:26   #16

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: Do I need an alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post

I have as stated 400 watts solar and 400 watts wind feeding a 200ah Lfp bank so have approx 160ah available before bingo time.
I don't motor unless necessary. ( its called a sailboat for a reason) last boat did about 15 hrs motoring per year so likely less than 20 hrs a year motoring this boat.
Because of your lithium batteries, I believe you are set. I would opt for MPPT controller if you don't already have one. Otherwise I can say I am jealous of your setup. It looks grand.

All the best to you.

P.S. - Do you have a PTO on the side? It's been a while however I believe I had one. That might be an option.
Old 10-07-2018, 18:32   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Because of your lithium batteries, I believe you are set. I would opt for MPPT controller if you don't already have one. Otherwise I can say I am jealous of your setup. It looks grand.

All the best to you.
yes it is thank you.
Side note the starter I got from you is working great.
Check out my refit page for more pictures of the boat and setup.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-187721-4.html
This page shows the solar
Old 10-07-2018, 20:26   #18

Boat: Nordic 44

I think you are underestimating the power draw of your refer/freezer. Add a vhf radio while sailing, maybe a stereo. A few other electronics and your electricity budget will be blown.

And, as I said before your wind generator will be a big disappointment in Puget Sound.

Well, time will tell. Let us know how it works out.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 21:08   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I think you are underestimating the power draw of your refer/freezer. Add a vhf radio while sailing, maybe a stereo. A few other electronics and your electricity budget will be blown.

And, as I said before your wind generator will be a big disappointment in Puget Sound.

Well, time will tell. Let us know how it works out.
just an fyi I don't intend on staying here forever .

Just till dad passes. Winter time the wind generator does just fine. Summer time the solar does great.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34   #20

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
ah is actually estimated on the high side. And yes I have a counter for ah in and ah out.

Will be running custom build technautics holding plate system 1.5 cf freezer and 3.5 cf spillover fridge. Estimated at just under 25ah underway nav lights at night at anchor , anchor light at night and 2 lights in cabin for about 3 to 4 hours a day . Vhf as needed approx 30 min per day . All lights led so power usage underway approx 2ah in port all lights approx 1ah.
Second largest power hog is my watermaker. 4ah per hour when needed approx 4 hours per week if underway for more than 2 weeks. Not needed at anchor. No chart plotter no radar no nothing that wasn't stock for the boat. Sheet to tiller steering so no auto pilot.

I have as stated 400 watts solar and 400 watts wind feeding a 200ah Lfp bank so have approx 160ah available before bingo time.
I don't motor unless necessary. ( its called a sailboat for a reason) last boat did about 15 hrs motoring per year so likely less than 20 hrs a year motoring this boat.
Sounds like you have really done your homework on all of this, and since you motor so little, and it is not easy to add the alternator, I think you are correct in thinking you can get by without one. Your generator is the "ace in the hole".

PS did you mean you will run watermaker 4 hours per *day* after 2 weeks? For a small watermaker of only 4A draw when running, seems it would not make enough water in 4H to last one week. In any case its better to run any watermaker more often than once per week, to avoid fouling the membrane and filters if you don't flush it with fresh water.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:49   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Sounds like you have really done your homework on all of this, and since you motor so little, and it is not easy to add the alternator, I think you are correct in thinking you can get by without one. Your generator is the "ace in the hole".

PS did you mean you will run watermaker 4 hours per *day* after 2 weeks? For a small watermaker of only 4A draw when running, seems it would not make enough water in 4H to last one week. In any case its better to run any watermaker more often than once per week, to avoid fouling the membrane and filters if you don't flush it with fresh water.
to answer your question on my watermaker a powersurvivor35 so about 1.5 gph.
And running 2 separate 2 hour runs per week and that's if I'm not at a place I can take on water for over 2 weeks. I have a 35 gallon water tank. And its just me .
My tank will last me about 3.5 weeks if I don't replenish. So looking at adding 6 gallons a week from the watermaker once it reaches half tank will extend my need to do major resupply/ major watermaker run to about day 45. And if I hit that point my onboard power is the least of my problems.

Tags
alternator