Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2016, 07:08   #1

DIY ANL Fuse Block?

Any reason not? I'm thinking it should prolly have a cover.

Small Boat Projects - Making Life Aboard Easier: Fabricating a DIY ANL Fuse Block
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1078.jpg
Views:	2409
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	136669  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 15:06   #2

Re: DIY ANL Fuse Block?

looks fine for purpose, but as you mentioned, great idea to have a non conducting cover (preferably transparent so you can see the fuses)

on the other hand - those wires look corroded and badly overheated, hopefully they are just for show and not the ones you intend using...
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 16:48   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I have been running a couple of homemade fuse blocks for 20 years on two different sailboats. Never a problem but have wondered if there might be a slight increase in tripping current because of the larger heat sink on the DC input side of things.

As a practical matter, fuses at this level are more likely to be fault interrupting rather than overload protection.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cture24349.jpg
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:29   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Why DIY it? ANL fuse holders only $7 or $8 each. add $3 more for the fuse cover and its just easier to order it than spend the time building it. I got mine from Waytekwire.com ordered a pile of parts from them. the best deal was the 200amp circuit breaker ( cost $40 and it was the exact same part number as the $200 bluesea version)
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:44   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

What metal is your homemade fuse block made off?

I agree with the post above. It's far simpler to buy a readymade, approved fuse block.
Old 23-11-2016, 18:27   #6

that blue sea buss bar is about $100. probably cheaper to buy ANL holders...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 19:00   #7

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

Ok silly question. Why fuse instead of resettable breakers? Because 200 miles from a retail place is not time to not have a fuse but if it's a breaker it's a touch and go
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 19:33   #8

I use ANL fuses in the 200-700a range. you can't buy breakers that big. under 100a I normally use breakers.

also they are required by code near the batttery for the AIC rating. which most breakers don't have.

also generally fuses are used on major DC cables and are oversized for loads (150%). and will only blow in a major fault. having a resettable breaker doesn't help if there is a major fault. you still need to fix it.
Old 23-11-2016, 20:25   #9

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Have made covers for ANL fuses from PVC pipe with some cutouts to see the filaments but keeps the fuse itself from flexing and breaking.
Used the battery + terminal post with nut for mounting one side of fuse, the heavy wire with a bolt and nut on the other side of the fuse and going to where needed, while the fuse itself sits inside a short white plastic pipe with cutouts for the posts and the nuts and a window to see if the fuse is blown.
Have (6) 6 volt batteries. and 2 more for start and windlass and that's a lot of fuse holders that must be mounted here and there with extra wires and more connections, so.... easy solution here using PVC. Not difficult to make a pile of these with just a hacksaw and a round file. Keep lots of extra fuses ( $1.00 each Ebay) in case any flexing breaks them. Oh,... put vaseline jelly on all these connections and wiring to keep the corrosion away!.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 22:15   #10

It is difficult to buss a bunch of std. ANL fuse holders together, high amp ANL holders are big, expensive, and a lot of extra connections ( I had a space issue).

The bus material is tinned copper 1"x 3/16" (probably good for about 500 amps), the machine screws/ nuts are silicon bronze (more about galling than conductivity).

The feed on the bottom is protected by a 250 amp class T at the battery switch (1,2,all).

Most modern yachts have a requirement for this type of distribution setup. I am surprised that BSS or somebody has not come up with a commercial product. Was not hard to build a one off so production design would be NBD.
Old 24-11-2016, 01:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
It is difficult to buss a bunch of std. ANL fuse holders together, high amp ANL holders are big, expensive, and a lot of extra connections ( I had a space issue)...

....Most modern yachts have a requirement for this type of distribution setup. I am surprised that BSS or somebody has not come up with a commercial product. Was not hard to build a one off so production design would be NBD.
This is what I am coming up against. I have the BSS buss bar ($30), I have the BSS fuse holders (4 x $25), now I need to connect the fuses to the bus bar? Where am I going to fit it?

Then I started looking around and found the article linked to in the OP. Surprised someone doesn't just make one already but I've got some scrap starboard and plenty of bolts, just need to get the buss bar material. Can you get it at an electrical supply house?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 01:45   #12

if all the fuses are under 300a then use the MRBF's. I put them on the buss bar. way less space then ANL's and easy to do.

best picture I could find,

this one looks like it's one unfused input, one unfused output to Class T for inverter, and 4 MRBF fused outputs, off a 600a blue sea bus.

the spare MRBF fuses are so much easier to strap on then the ANL's too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9690.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	136721  
Old 24-11-2016, 05:47   #13

Storm Copper in Tennessee has all S&S of copper buss material. Used to have it tinned also.
Old 24-11-2016, 09:44   #14

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Any reason not? I'm thinking it should prolly have a cover.

Small Boat Projects - Making Life Aboard Easier: Fabricating a DIY ANL Fuse Block
Conceptually, no, although I agree the quality of the conduit on the "mock up" is a little dubious.

One concern, however, would be the careful and sufficiently beefy mounting of such a setup. That's going to be heavy just in the weight of wire, and you want no chance of any of those leads touching each other. That means the design could be improved simply by putting little HDPE/Starboard "blocks" as spacers between each power lug, so that if the cable ties or similar wire supports failed due to heavy boat movement, they could not make contact. That simple measure of "chocking" each lead also makes the likelihood of the nut loosening itself less, I would think.

I just did this job, but went with the standard Blue Sea buses:

I did, however, fab up a sub-panel for the DC main board and bilge/fridge, items that are switched.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:09   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I just did this job, but went with the standard Blue Sea buses:
Bad choice of cable colors.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote