Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2011, 07:26   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Diversion Load for Wind Generator

Wind Turbines

Its on this page.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 07:33   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Having trouble finding the link. Could you repost?

THNX

Here's some examples on Ebay UK, looking at them myself, just need to figure out best way to fit to HW tank and keep the mains AC element as well

12 Volt immersion heater 150Watt cupra nickel ellement items in EMACandCo store on eBay!
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 07:37   #18

Quote:
Having trouble finding the link. Could you repost?
There are several here in various DC voltage configurations:
Diversion Loads @ Survival Unlimited.com - Water Heater Elements, Air Heaters, DC water heaters, DC air heaters

Hotwire has one that is dual 12VDC & 120VAC:
osCommerce
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 07:41   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Here's some examples on Ebay UK, looking at them myself, just need to figure out best way to fit to HW tank and keep the mains AC element as well
Agreed. Does one drill a hole in the existing HW tank? Yikes.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:37   #20

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
I've got one myself Bash..... the element is a replacement which has two elements on one plug.. one is 12 volt and the other is 110.. simple as taking one out and screwing the other in..
I went over this instalation a few years ago when we installed ours and posted it on this forum.. the amount of 12 volt energy to heat water is large, very large.. we never saw more than a degree or two from our unit..
understand the old way of dumping the excess was through a "heat sink" so there is not much there.. thats why I brought up the idea presented to me of using muffen fans.. because they opperate on micro volts, the extra energy is actually seen and provides the service..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:29   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:

Here is an option, depending on the thread fitting on the existing tank

12 24 36 48 Volt Immersion Water Heater Conversion Kit | eBay

Randyonr3, can you post a link to your installation, be appreciated, tried a search, but no luck
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:22   #22

Quote:
Does one drill a hole in the existing HW tank? Yikes.
No; install a smaller SS diversion tank (buy one or make one) in series to the main tank. Depending on the water temp you may need to add an anti-scald valve.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:14   #23

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnjpinz
You are correct. Kiss does recommend direct wiring. However, other sources have disagreed with this install. Especially, , if you are south of Florida where winds are more constant. I know some of you may think I am being overly cautious, however, I just don't want to cook my batteries.
Winds in south Florida are more constant? I will have to disagree with that . I guess you have not been in the Caribbean . South florida in the summer has very litle wind and in the winter is a litle better but not like tradewinds
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:25   #24

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Bash and Nigel1

try this link.......Divert Loads
middle of the page, this is the one I installed in ours................
It has a 110 and a 12 volt hook up........and very simple to install.. just pull the old one out and put the new one in...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:52   #25

Boat: Tayana 47

I realize this is a very old thread but I'm currently wrestling with the same problem concerning what to do with excess power from my KISS wind gen once the batteries are full so rather than starting another one, I'm resurrecting this one.

I currently have the dual AC/DC element which some have mentioned and which uses a 500 watt AC element to heat the water and a 300 watt DC element to dump excess genset power. The system works as advertised...... right up until someone wants to take a shower or wash dishes, and then it's over an hour of running the genset to get the water up to temp. That 500 watt AC element in my 12 gallon water heater just doesn't seem to be an ideal solution. I spoke with the guy at Hotwire and he seemed very knowledgeable and helpful and a good source for KISS related products, and I can see it's a good thing he's providing this dual element. I can see where it might work well in an area where the water isn't very cold to start with and the wind blows hard all the time or if you spent most of your time at a dock so the water tank was always powered, but here in Maine living out on a mooring or at anchor, I really hate the thought of having to run my genset for such a long time just to heat water.

So, I guess I'd like to switch my water heater back to its original 1500 watt element and use something else as a divert load for my KISS wind gen. I've seen the exposed coil types that are sold and those seem sort of scary due to the potential for starting a fire. Is anyone aware of a better solution, either a higher wattage dual element for the water tank, or some other separate diversion load that is reasonably safe regarding overheating and starting an onboard fire? Are those coil type resister loads as scary as they look in pix? Does anyone have experience with them or any other type diversion load that works well?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:48   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

No one responded to my post early in this thread, so I will try again:

Why do you need a dump load when you can simply short out the output of the KISS or other turbine? This is what Air-X and its relatives do with their internal regulator/controller and their factory supplied stop switch... and what I did with a home brew unit on our previous boat.

When shorted, the load slows the rotation to nearly stopped, the output is nearly zero, and basically the system is shut down. This eliminates noise, wear on the shaft bearings and worries about blade strikes. What's not to like?

Jim
Old 02-10-2014, 13:32   #27

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
No one responded to my post early in this thread, so I will try again:

Why do you need a dump load when you can simply short out the output of the KISS or other turbine? This is what Air-X and its relatives do with their internal regulator/controller and their factory supplied stop switch... and what I did with a home brew unit on our previous boat.

When shorted, the load slows the rotation to nearly stopped, the output is nearly zero, and basically the system is shut down. This eliminates noise, wear on the shaft bearings and worries about blade strikes. What's not to like?

Jim
I had a KISS for nine seasons in the Bahamas and it was wired direct to the batteries. No diversion load, no controller. Never a problem. Wanted a new one but they couldn't deliver for a month. Now have a D400 which, surprisingly, is better than the KISS. (it should be at nearly twice the price) A lot of work installing it . Not simple. Only one season so far so good.
Old 02-10-2014, 16:15   #28

Hey Hi,

I am a big proponant of insulating-over insulating.
water heaters,pre-hot/warm water tanks-insulate them.this will really go a long way towards a solution.

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 17:22   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

AFAIK the windgens aren't all the same. Some can auto-brake, some can regulate, others still require a dump load. A traditional "real" generator will require a brake, or a dump load. So what the OP has will limit the options for it.

If you're using a water heater as a dump load, you really don't want to be "running" the heater from the windgen, you want the heater to be able to endlessly absorb extra power. But if you want hot water--that's going to need a different setup, which can't endlessly absorb the dumped power. The windgen may simply not be able to heat up that much hot water to "hot". With the dual-element, you could always do something horribly inefficient but simple, like use both elements at once, with the batteries feeding an inverter to provide AC power to supplement the DC direct element.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:26   #30

Boat: Tayana 47

Hellosailor, The DC element doesn't work unless the windgen is turning AND the batteries are full, which is almost never. So the DC element really is only there to prevent cooking the batteries on that very rare occasion, not to actually provide any real water heating on a regular basis.

One advantage of the 500 watt AC element is that the inverter can power it when the genset isn't running, but it will run down the batteries pretty fast, and that combined with all the other DC loads would mean that the batteries would rarely actually get to full charge. I've actually done it a few times when the batteries were pretty full and the wind was blowing, but it still takes a very long time to heat up that 12 gallons of water no matter what's powering the 500 watt AC element.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator