Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2007, 09:31   #1

Distribution Panels

I am in process of a total refit of my Pacific Seacraft Orion and am considering replacing the distribution panel. Can anybody recommend a combined AC/DC panel of good quality. Probally need 8 DC and 4 AC circuits. ALso wondered if making my own would be a option with the purchase of high quality switches and breakers. I have a Link 2000R for the monitering system. I am totally rearranging my radio and electrical panel. Adding a ICOM 802 and a ICOM 502, Garmin 2006 GPS. Really excited about the chance of designing the work station from scratch! Thanks for the suggestions!

Jay
Jay Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 10:11   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Distribution Panels - Blue Sea Systems

Paneltronics - Electrical power distribution panels and control systems

Microlog Marine Electrical Distribution Panels
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 10:18   #3

Thanks Rick!

Paneltronics has just what I needed! My original panel has become hacked up over the years, perfect time to modernize and update!
Jay
Orion 33
Jay Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 11:12   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry I didn't have more time to research a particular panel. Doin' Daddy Taxi Duty. Good luck with your electrical refit.

Best Boat Wire & Cable - Complete Marine Grade Wire, Cable and Electrical Parts Supplier is a good source for wire/connectors etc. Tell Sylvie I sent you.
Old 15-07-2007, 11:53   #5

Jay,
I have only had excelent service from Paneltronics.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 14:58   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz
WOW!!! I don't know what the S&H costs add, but those are great prices on a quality product!
Old 15-07-2007, 16:23   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

For some reason, I could never find GROUND distribution bars. You know, someplace to run a dozen ground lines and tie them all into the master ground at one point on one cable.

Wound up having to get commercial ones from an industrial electrical supplier, but it was SO nice to be able to route all the ground lines into one junction block, with captive screws, and not have to kludge around.

Don't any marine panel makers supply ground distribution busses? (Not that ground is any different from hot--just a bus bar with lots of small contacts on one side, and one or two cable contacts on the other.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 16:47   #8
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngNate
WOW!!! I don't know what the S&H costs add, but those are great prices on a quality product!
Absolutely!! Even shipping north of the border it's still a lot cheaper. I re-wired our entire boat, AC & DC this spring for about $500.
Old 15-07-2007, 16:50   #9
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
For some reason, I could never find GROUND distribution bars. You know, someplace to run a dozen ground lines and tie them all into the master ground at one point on one cable.

Wound up having to get commercial ones from an industrial electrical supplier, but it was SO nice to be able to route all the ground lines into one junction block, with captive screws, and not have to kludge around.

Don't any marine panel makers supply ground distribution busses? (Not that ground is any different from hot--just a bus bar with lots of small contacts on one side, and one or two cable contacts on the other.)
Without sounding like a paid advertisement for bestboatwire.com here ya go.

Welcome to BBW !

$16.10
Old 15-07-2007, 17:49   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rick-
That's exactly what I DON'T ever want to see, use, or touch.

First, it requires a ring terminal on each lead to capture the lead securely. Crimp, sleeve, grease labor on each one. Then of course, if you unscrew a bit further, the screw goes off into the bilge. I HATE 'EM WITH A PASSION. They belong with bare wire-on-pole house insulation.

The ones I found are the "European" type, where all you do is strip the end of a wire, stick it in a hole, and screw in a headless screw that is tapped into another hole at a 90degree angle. There's never any reason for extra fittings, never any reason to back the screw out so far it can get lost. Total simple elegance.

All I did was remove the screws and shoot a little neverseize in each screw thread (and on each bare wire before I trapped it) to make Real Damn Sure my connections would stay clean and free for the next twenty years.

You'll see similar "captive" fittings in Home Depot to join 2-4 wires together, but nothing in the large size with cable feeds. The smallest one I could get (they're sized for home/business panels) took two 10g wires in each hole very neatly, and #4 cable in the feed side.

Got a couple of extra ones salted away on the shelf, too.<G>
Old 15-07-2007, 18:08   #11
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ya mean this kind?

Old 15-07-2007, 18:23   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Looks very similar, Rick. Where did you find that one!? I see it has terminal bolts for cable lugs, not captive holes for the feed cables, but that's the idea.
Old 15-07-2007, 18:40   #13

Quote:
Rick-

The ones I found are the "European" type, where all you do is strip the end of a wire, stick it in a hole, and screw in a headless screw that is tapped into another hole at a 90degree angle. There's never any reason for extra fittings, never any reason to back the screw out so far it can get lost. Total simple elegance.

<G>
Per ABYC 11.16.3.5 that's a non-standard instalation.

"Connections may be made using a set-screw pressure type conductor connector, Providing a means is used to prevent the set-screw from bearing directly on the conductor strands."
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 04:37   #14
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Looks very similar, Rick. Where did you find that one!? I see it has terminal bolts for cable lugs, not captive holes for the feed cables, but that's the idea.
That was from Alan Wheeler's photo gallery. You mean this kind?

Good for splicing wires but not very practical as a bonding strip. I prefer these.

Yeah yeah I know means pulling the screws and crimping on terminals but I'm a masochist I guess.
Old 16-07-2007, 05:24   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Blue Sea Systems: Blue Sea Systems
Distribution Panels: Distribution Panels - Blue Sea Systems
Bus Bars: Busbars, Connectors & Insulators - Blue Sea Systems

Paneltronics: Paneltronics - Electrical power distribution panels and control systems
Panels: Paneltronics - Electrical power distribution panels and control systems

Carlingswitch (Carling Technologies): Carling Technologies: Switch & Circuit Breaker Manufacturer
Panels: Products - Power Distribution Centers

Unless you want one of these babies ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MCC.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1527  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distribution panels