Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2007, 06:35   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973
To comply, use pin terminals on 22-10 ga wires with setscrews. I like the eurostyle nylon blocks for end connections on devices like lights, etc. for easy service, but that's all. Ring terminals under screws are definitely preferred. For re-work, use locking or flanged fork terminals to avoid losing screws.
N
Old 16-07-2007, 07:56   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rick-
Picture your white plastic things (agreed as to their value) and now imagine they had been fabbed up from a large aluminum BLOCK instead of cheap plastic castings. Big block. With two 4-g holes in one end, and a dozen 10-g holes in the other end, each hole of course having the matching screw to cross down and secure a wire.

Those black plastic ones are called "barrier strips" and the only real use I had for that, was connecting masthead wires where they jumped from the mast to the bulkhead, where we needed a good way to disconnect them from the hull's wiring.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 08:20   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As Nate said:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueSea-BusBar.png
Views:	152
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1528   Click image for larger version

Name:	CommonBus.png
Views:	146
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1529  

Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 08:43   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973
Thanks, Gord, I didn't have time to get images. That's the right way. Picture solid conductor 'Romex' wire on a boat, that's what setscrew lugs are made for, and they're also suitable for heavy strand THN wire used in equipment, but not for 30-strand marine wire. I like to picture quality terminals, properly crimped. Why search for alternatives to what works? Extra time and patience at the start is the cheapest and fastest thing you'll ever have on your boat...
Old 16-07-2007, 11:49   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

PIN terminal crimps? Gord, that's fantastic! Something else my local hardware store and chandlery have never heard of.<G>

Nate-
"Ring terminals under screws are definitely preferred." I fully understand and appreciate the concept, but I have a very real love-hate relationship with anything that may force me to undo a screw--which then vanishes into the bilge. Worse, vanishes under my twisted legs, the spare anchor rode, fenders, and lazarette-bottom-dwellers, into the space under the engine.

But if I ever have to do an installation to ABYC/USCG specifications, I'll think about using the confounded parts they require in the places they require them. Maybe. <g>
Old 16-07-2007, 12:08   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
For “SOME TYPICAL TYPES OF TERMINALS”, goto Figure 17, on page 46 of ABYC Section E-11 at: https://www.abyc.com/committees/.%5CE-11.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 12:11   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
and now imagine they had been fabbed up from a large aluminum BLOCK instead of cheap plastic castings.
No, no, not aluminum! Never, ever use aluminum for electrical connections or wiring! Tinned copper is what you want for both wires and bus bars.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 12:43   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yes, aluminum bad. Didn't want to pay a machinist to make a bronze one, couldn't find anything else on the market. So...Neverseize and Boeshield it is.

Tags
distribution panels