Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 05:58   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Discount Source for Ancor Terminals?

I have a major rewiring project to do on my boat, and need to purchase a lot of terminals in various sizes. The last time I did this (ten years ago), I had a good relationship with the local West Marine dealer, and since I was doing a major refit, he gave me a good deal.

My new boat is in Mexico, and I need to purchase what I need here in the US and take it with me. I really like the Ancor nylon-insulated double-crimp terminals, and would like to get them at the best price I can.

Anyone have a recommendation for a discount supplier?
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:29   #2

I would check on ebay, I found some really deals on wire there
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Marine electrical suppliers:

GenuineDealz.com - Marine Electrical, Boat Wire & Cable, Custom Battery Cables (formerly .bestboatwire.com/)

or

Pacer Wire

I used to deal exclusively (directly) with Pacer Marine, in Ft. Lauderdale.
Pacer Marine
3301 SW 11 Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
Phone: 954-462-0902
Toll-Free: 800-634-5031
Head Office: 1555 Apex Rd., Sarasota, Florida (FL), 34240, USA
Tel: 941-378-5774
Fax: 941-379-9015

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:45   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I second GenuineDealz 1/4 - 1/5 the price of Worst Marine for wire. I haven't bought connectors but it couldn't be hard to get a better price than WM.......m
Old 01-08-2009, 09:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Try to get a Port Supply account. I am not recommending that you get one through any deceptive means.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35   #6

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try both Genuine deals and Pacer.

David M, at the risk of changing the topic, how would I get a Port Supply account without representing myself as a business? I don't have the negative impressions of West Marine that I hear from some other posters, but I do agree they are not the cheapest place to buy things. The Port Supply prices are a lot more competitive.

Would they be willing to open a Port Supply account for an individual undergoing a major refit?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:58   #7

They are pretty sticky about gettting PS accounts. The sites mentioned above will likely be lower prices than a PS account anyway. I've had two PS accounts int he past and they are marginally useful.. For instance, they might give you 25% off retail on an item but their public price is 20% off retail.... etc...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 13:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In the 1990's, many Port Supply discounts varied between 30 - 40% off their (West) retail prices (electrical, harware, etc), down to just a few % off certain things like electronics.
This, based upon being a low volume PS customer.
It was nearly impossible to get a PS account, unless you were a legitimate marine business.
Pacer, Lewis, LandNSea, JMS, etc had better prices than PS, and even more restrictive policies.

Old 01-08-2009, 14:01   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have a Port Supply account. Their discounts range quite a bit...so much so that there really is no such thing as an average discount from West Marine's retail prices. I see discounts ranging from zero percent off to 40% off.

All I can suggest Steve is to apply for a Port Supply account. Let them know that you know of the other discount internet boat supply websites. Also tell them that you plan on buying a lot of merchandise on that account. They may or may not give you an account. I really don't know.

The real advantage of a Port Supply account over an internet account is that you can get the part you need the same day or if it is out of stock, from their warehouse overnight or in two days sometimes...without paying a FedEx or UPS delivery charge.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 19:15   #10

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can talk the folks at West Marine into letting me open a Port Supply account. Like you said, the avoidance of extra shipping charges will be a boon.

Otherwise, I'll try Pacer or Genuine.
Old 01-08-2009, 20:06   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Port Supply is a waste of time. I have an account and the price break is based on MSRP....not the price on the rack......I finally found a marine supplier that gives me a straight 25% off across the board.

Port Supply used to be decent...but not anymore
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:52   #12

Boat: bayliner 300
Send a message via Yahoo to float marine
pirate

disclaimer: I have to add a disclaimer before I post a reply here because I dont want this to sound like a self serving statement which is not my intention at all. "so here goes I own a boat supplies website and my intention here is not to solicit any kind of business but to share my knowledge with like minded people on this forums."
For steve's question my suggestion is to delve further than the basic price comparison because as he said he had a major project, instead of just looking for the best deal retail wise I would find the best deal in this case the cheapest deal he can find and then call them up and explain that his needs are for a bigger than normal project am sure he would get another discounted deal on top of the already low price. believe me in our business volume matters the more someone one buy's the more of a discount they would get. good luck with the project.
float marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:01   #13

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I know your mind is probably made up, but 3M also makes good terminals with adhesive lined wrap for MUCH less than Ancor... IMHO, C

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:11   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by float marine View Post
... my suggestion is to delve further than the basic price comparison because as he said he had a major project, instead of just looking for the best deal retail wise I would find the best deal in this case the cheapest deal he can find and then call them up and explain that his needs are for a bigger than normal project am sure he would get another discounted deal on top of the already low price. believe me in our business volume matters the more someone one buy's the more of a discount they would get. good luck with the project.
Indeed, Pacer's internal net price list has 5 columns, each based upon a yearly volume. The discount levels varied considerably between low-volume & high-volume customers.