Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 18:30   #1

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Diode Based Battery Isolator Centre Connection

Ahoy, I have a diode based battery islotor on my newly purchased yacht, and the PO does not know how the centre connection should be hooked up.

It has the three large terminals for the input from the alternater and the two outputs for the house and start battery banks.

There is one centre post, much smaller, with a thin wire and a spade connector on the end, that is not connected. I believe that it is some sort of voltage drop adjuster that can be hooked into the heart smart voltage regulater to compensate for the voltage drop acros the terminals, so that the voltage regulater will see the correct battery voltage for charging.

It is only a single wire, where should I connect it to on the heart voltage regulater?

Thanks for your help.
Cheers from Keith.
Old 24-05-2011, 11:23   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Diode Based Battery Isolator Centre Connection

I've never seen one on an isolator, but it could well be a voltage reference for an external regulator, as there is a 0.6 volt drop across the isolater. However, you are still probably better off running the regulator voltage sensing wire (with a fuse, of course )to the positive terminal of your main house battery bank.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 12:22   #3

The small wire on my battery switch is for powering the switch panel, ie the rest of the boat The three main connections are:
1. Starter
2. battery 1
3. battery 2

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 17:23   #4

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Thanks Randy and Donrad.
Looks like it is a voltage reference wire for the external regulator, at present, this feed comes from my house bank.
The diode based isolator is a SURE POWER model 102-4
made in the USA by SURE POWER at Tualatin, Oregon.

It has stamped on the side, A, 1, R, 2 for the terminal descriptions.

Looks like the middle wire is for the external regulator voltage sensing after all?

I check out of thailand today and head back to Langkawi.

Cheers from Keith.

Tags
battery