Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 03:00   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Posts: 1,261
Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

I'd like to be able to turn the Perkins diesel engine off at the helm. I thought of using a bowden cable but I don't think that would be wise in a marine environment.

There are a lot of fuel cut-off solenoids on eBay but their price is hideous. Some are described as 12V/24V while most others are described as 12V. Would I be pushing my luck using a 12V solenoid in a 24V system?

I know the subject of solenoids came up on a thread a couple of months ago and someone suggested using a "General Purpose solenoid" and actually gave the make/model of the unit. My system is 24V: can anyone suggest a suitable inexpensive solenoid?


Clive
__________________

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:23   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Panama, Central America
Boat: CT 49, 1989
Posts: 721
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I'd like to be able to turn the Perkins diesel engine off at the helm. I thought of using a bowden cable but I don't think that would be wise in a marine environment.

There are a lot of fuel cut-off solenoids on eBay but their price is hideous. Some are described as 12V/24V while most others are described as 12V. Would I be pushing my luck using a 12V solenoid in a 24V system?

I know the subject of solenoids came up on a thread a couple of months ago and someone suggested using a "General Purpose solenoid" and actually gave the make/model of the unit. My system is 24V: can anyone suggest a suitable inexpensive solenoid?


Clive
Is this intended for the regular shut off or emergency shut off, for a runaway etc?

If for emergency I would suggest an air intake shut off as being better.

The reason is a runaway engine may be running on another source of fuel, like sump oil a leaky fuel line find its way into the intake etc. So shutting off the regular engine fuel supply still wont stop it.
__________________

Q Xopa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:37   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Posts: 1,261
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
Is this intended for the regular shut off or emergency shut off, for a runaway etc.
If for emergency I would suggest an air intake shut off as being better.

The reason is a runaway engine may be running on another source of fuel, like sump oil a leaky fuel line find its way into the intake etc. So shutting off the regular engine fuel supply still wont stop it.



Wow! I didn't think of that: food for thought....

No, I was thinking of regular shut off.

Thanks
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:52   #4
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 12,419
Images: 14
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
If for emergency I would suggest an air intake shut off as being better.
I fitted one of these to a Ford Dover (lehman type) 4.2 litre diesel engine on a large rib. The steel flap was operated by a solenoid and a outboard deadmans switch on the dash. Worked well and would stop the engine immediately if you fell over board, the intended use. The solenoid required power to hold the flap open so in the event of an electrical failure it would shut. Manual over ride required a bolt to be removed and the flap opened to allow the engine to run.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:30   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, La.
Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Posts: 1,746
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

Not entirely sure why you think a cable is unsatisfactory for a marine application; doesn't your throttle operate via one? I can understand from an ease-of-installation standpoint, wires can be a lot easier to install than cables (sometimes), but I like the keep-it-simple approach of cable actuation.

However, if you search for '24v stop solenoid" a myriad of choices come up for 50.00 - 75.00 US, which is close enough to the price of a long Morse cable.

A couple of examples;


https://www.amazon.com/Blueview-sole.../dp/B00LGJA0YA



https://www.amazon.com/Holdwell-Shut.../dp/B00MIDQHPY


jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:36   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Posts: 1,261
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I fitted one of these to a Ford Dover (lehman type) 4.2 litre diesel engine on a large rib. The steel flap was operated by a solenoid and a outboard Worked well and would stop the engine immediately if you fell over board, the intended use. The solenoid required power to hold the flap open so in the event of an electrical failure it would shut. Manual over ride required a bolt to be removed and the flap opened to allow the engine to run.

Pete
I'll think about what you have done.

" deadmans switch on the dash." something else to think about too......


I'm always looking for a cheap way out (where it doesn't compromise safety) so I've been looking on eBay for a solution. As soon as I searched for "Push/Pull solenoid" there was any amount of them for sale from $2.61 upwards!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp solenoid1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	185273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp solenoid3.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	185274  

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:48   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Posts: 1,261
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

There are plenty to choose from. Maybe a car door lock solenoid?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Solenoid 4.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	185276  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:55   #8
Registered User
 
fish53's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 302
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

A flap for the intake is slightly more engineering than a shut down solenoid but certainly useful. If you consider both, a cable for an emergency shut down and a solenoid for normal shutdown might be best. Truth is few diesels these days run away unless the rings are extremely worn in which case the lack of compression would make it hard to start as well as smoke. I have a shutdown solenoid on my Lister Petter which works find, what you want is a solenoid that when deenergized closes the fuel rack, that way with the key off fuel is prevented from entering the injection pump. Solenoids come both ways extended when deenergized and collapsed when the same.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:57   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Panama, Central America
Boat: CT 49, 1989
Posts: 721
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

I'm not sure of your boat engine cockpit layout, but you cant just do a 'Push/ pull rod', even with a bell crank to change direction etc, can you?

Yes the butterfly valve/ flap type ones come in various different flavours like manual cable/ electronic controlled with eith electric or hydraulic actuated etc

These are good and certainly better than what most people have which is naught.

However I like these ones AMOT-Products- Automatic Self-Contained Valves-D and D-AM Automatic Valve as they have no cables, electronics etc to fail, can be set up for your engine and automatically reset. They simply work on airflow and when the airflow flowing through it to run your engine at max RPM is exceeded, they close and shut your engine down.

This is something most people dont think of until we are faced with a runaway engine screaming it's self to death, unable to shut it down. Thankfully it's not that common.
Q Xopa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:05   #10
Registered User
 
fish53's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 302
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

I should point out that on my old Perkins 4-108 I simply ran a small piece of line from the fuel shut off to the pilothouse and a spring to return the lever which should be there anyway. Pull the line, engine shuts down, simple and cheap.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:26   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Posts: 1,261
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
what you want is a solenoid that when deenergized closes the fuel rack, that way with the key off fuel is prevented from entering the injection pump. Solenoids come both ways extended when deenergized and collapsed when the same.

Stacks of good information being posted.

I was just getting around to thinking about how it would work and obviously when it is de-energised it will have to close the rack.

Thanks
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:33   #12
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 28,023
Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

You can do interesting things with a solenoid.
In the late 70ís I rigged up an electric shift for motorcycle drag racing with a washing machine solenoid, I tried a starter solenoid first, but It bent the shift forks, those things are strong.
The Murdock air shifter was the slick item back then, but it was large requiring an air tank and complex, and of course required an air compressor to refill the air tank.
So donít get a God awful strong solenoid, they can break things
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:03   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Posts: 1,261
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So don’t get a God awful strong solenoid, they can break things

Your advice noted!

After Fish53 said
"what you want is a solenoid that when deenergized closes the fuel rack, that way with the key off fuel is prevented from entering the injection pump"

I realised some of the solenoids I was looking at are no good as they can't be left on while the engine is running.

I can think of no reason why a remote car door lock would not be perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp car door lock.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	185302  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:20   #14
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 28,023
Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post

I can think of no reason why a remote car door lock would not be perfect.

If you want one to be fail safe, that is no power, solenoid spring returns fuel to off, then you are going to have to have a 100% duty cycle solenoid, which Iím sure a door lock solenoid isnít, most are not, you have to find one that wonít overheat when powered all of the time.

However I donít think you need one that when deenergized fuel is off, my reasoning is that the factory Yanmar fuel shut off solenoid isnít that way, itís deenergized fuel is on, energized is off.
Plus I think the door lock is way stronger than you need, pull the fuel shut off with your finger, most take very little force to move at all.

If you have one that requires power for the engine to run, then you can lose your engine from multiple failures, I wouldnít want that myself.
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:49   #15
Registered User
 
fish53's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 302
Re: Diesel fuel cut-off solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you want one to be fail safe, that is no power, solenoid spring returns fuel to off, then you are going to have to have a 100% duty cycle solenoid, which Iím sure a door lock solenoid isnít, most are not, you have to find one that wonít overheat when powered all of the time.

However I donít think you need one that when deenergized fuel is off, my reasoning is that the factory Yanmar fuel shut off solenoid isnít that way, itís deenergized fuel is on, energized is off.
Plus I think the door lock is way stronger than you need, pull the fuel shut off with your finger, most take very little force to move at all.

If you have one that requires power for the engine to run, then you can lose your engine from multiple failures, I wouldnít want that myself.
I wouldn't want to leave a boat very long with any electrical device energized. Certainly you can have a separate shutdown switch for momentary use. In the event of a solenoid failure you can just wire the fuel control open. A solenoid is simply an electromagnet not an electric motor like an electric fuel pump that has no trouble running for hours and hours.
__________________

fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, fuel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yanmar 3YM30 vs. 3GM30 Fuel cut-off cable CaptJackSparrow Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 11-08-2019 02:33
Yanmar 3YM20 issue: Engine runs for 5 minutes then solenoid shut-off goes off louisgo Engines and Propulsion Systems 8 17-04-2017 17:46
Fuel shut-off solenoid leaking. Ideas?? nknowland Engines and Propulsion Systems 23 29-03-2016 14:43
To Cut or Not to Cut - Underseat Cabinets Jetexas Monohull Sailboats 9 25-02-2012 20:06
Diesel Weeping Oil from Cut-Off Shaft duefocena Engines and Propulsion Systems 7 12-09-2011 20:45

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.