Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-12-2013, 15:06   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Derka 8L16 Batteries

Does anyone have any experience using these batteries for a house bank? They seem to be pretty solid for that use. They're 6V, Flooded Wet Cells and have a pretty large storage capacity (370AH!). So has anyone used them or know of a reason not too? I've googled them, but can't seem to find any reviews for Marine use.

Sorry, DEKA, not Derka. Lol. Fat fingered it.

Old 29-12-2013, 19:03   #2

Re: Derka 8L16 Batteries

I have installed lots of L16 batteries. but not deka. L16's are great boat batteries if you have the height. base is slightly bigger then a golf cart.

Old 29-12-2013, 19:37   #3

Boat: csy 37

I seriously considered Trojan L16 batteries. I have the footprint and just barely the height in my battery box. but the weight was the undoing of it all. I don't mind lifting 65lb golf carts, but those L16's are just pushing my endurance....
Old 29-12-2013, 20:23   #4

Ok. Thanks. If I don't quite have the room, I'll make the room. I'm planning a top to bottom refit.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-12-2013, 21:27   #5
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have used Trojan L16's for 8 years but am switching to Lifeline AGM now... I think
Old 29-12-2013, 21:36   #6

Jedi,

I'm also thinking of installing Lifelines but am somewhat worried about the numerous stories of AGM problems (although most of these don't seem to involve the Lifeline brand and/or the failed batteries may not have been well treated). What's your view?

Carl

(sorry for the thread drift if this starts an AGM discussion)
Old 29-12-2013, 22:11   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I've used Deka batteries in a couple of small outboards. Moderate price, lasted longer than the warranty, can't complain.
Old 30-12-2013, 02:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I seriously considered Trojan L16 batteries. I have the footprint and just barely the height in my battery box. but the weight was the undoing of it all. I don't mind lifting 65lb golf carts, but those L16's are just pushing my endurance....
but then you need twice the floor space for the same ah which most boats just don't have. grab a friend, only have to move em once.

I've put 10-12 in a few boats. now that sucks! especially when in quad battery boxes which then has to get moved... I try to stick to the doubles.

they are still way lighter then 8D's!
Old 30-12-2013, 06:40   #9
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The problems around AGM batteries result from having one or more bad batteries in the bank or using incompatible charging gear (alternator regulator, solar controller, wind controller, battery charger, inverter/charger etc. all need to be compatible with AGM, set to the right settings and be of good quality)

Old 30-12-2013, 06:41   #10
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
why lift them when you have halyards and hatches to take most of the weight?
Old 30-12-2013, 07:03   #11

I have used the Dekka L16 batteries. I have had enormously great service out of them. I took care of them and they lasted 9 years plus.

then next batteries were trojans. they lasted about 2 1/2 years and when I asked them if there was anything they could do. they said NO!!!!

back to East Penn (makers of dekka).
Old 30-12-2013, 07:04   #12

Re: Dekka 8L16 Batteries

have used the Dekka L16 batteries. I have had enormously great service out of them. I took care of them and they lasted 9 years plus.

then next batteries were trojans. they lasted about 2 1/2 years and when I asked them if there was anything they could do. they said NO!!!!

Old 30-12-2013, 07:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The problems around AGM batteries result from having one or more bad batteries in the bank or using incompatible charging gear (alternator regulator, solar controller, wind controller, battery charger, inverter/charger etc. all need to be compatible with AGM, set to the right settings and be of good quality)

Another problem with AGMs (or Lifelines anyway), is that they need to be recharged to 100% to get their rated cycle life. Because of the diminished acceptance charge as the battery nears 100% (a condition in all lead acid batteries) this is a very time-consuming and expensive thing to do, and therefore is not always done properly.

For a boat that comes back to the dock and recharges on shore power Lifelines are great batteries, but a boat that is going to cycle them every day should research this issue very carefully.

In their technical manual Lifeline states: “The battery is fully charged when the current drops below 0.5% of the battery’s rated capacity (0.5A for a 100Ah battery).” The same manual offers a formula for recharge time. By their formula, if I'm reading it right, it should take me 2 hours to recharge from 80% to 100%. It takes 7.
Old 30-12-2013, 07:57   #14

Re: Dekka 8L16 Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by svJasmine View Post
have used the Dekka L16 batteries. I have had enormously great service out of them. I took care of them and they lasted 9 years plus.

Well that's good to know!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-12-2013, 12:30   #15

My first set of Deka L-16s lasted 5 years, full-time live-aboard and only connected to the dock when I hauled out. The second set lasted over 7 years after adding a little more solar capacity to help keep them charged. I'm on my third set over 2 years. Without meaning to start an argument, for a full-time-liveaboard, you will get much longer service out of flooded batteries than an AGM. Deka, who make all three types, say a good flooded battery will outlast an AGM by 2-3 times.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: