Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 14:22   #1

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat
Depth Transducer repeatedly overloaded our D.C. panel during a soft grounding- weird!

So last week during a negative tide we ran aground in the middle of the Calda Channel outside Key West. Even TowBoatUS got stuck, so we were left for about 4 hours waiting to refloat. Shortly after grounding our transducer, located in the port hull of our cat, began humming pretty noticeably and within 20 minutes or so, all the D.C. on the boat died at once. I learned that I could restart everything by flipping the main D.C. Breaker off then on, but it would fail again every 20 minutes or so. Once we floated free, I ran the boat fine for another week, and the problem never reoccurred.

I thought I'd mention it, as this was certainly a new phenomenon to me.

In hindsight, I suppose I could have flipped off the Instrument breaker to see if that would have killed the transducer too.
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 19:01   #2

Re: Depth Transducer repeatedly overloaded our D.C. panel during a soft grounding- we

I cannot see how a depth transducer could have tripped your dc breaker. If that much current flowed the wiring would have burned up long before a main breaker.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 19:05   #3

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat
Re: Depth Transducer repeatedly overloaded our D.C. panel during a soft grounding- we

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
I cannot see how a depth transducer could have tripped your dc breaker. If that much current flowed the wiring would have burned up long before a main breaker.

I agree, but it was for sure the transducer humming loudly, and the failure never happened again in 10 more days at sea. The only variable is the running aground and the humming while aground. So odd.
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 20:09   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

I guess something else is the cause of the trip. The transducer "humming" is possibly a byproduct of the low DC voltage caused by the high current draw somewhere else. A transducer is an acoustic device. If it is switched on and off rapidly it could "hum" but that in and of itself does not indicate any fault.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, loa