Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 12:22   #1

Boat: Bayfield 36
Defective Oil Pressure Switch Charging Concerns

I have a "smart regulator" incorporated into my charging system and have had a failure of the charging.
My alternator is functional... when l remove the regulator from the system and jump the fields it will show a steady voltage climb.
I assumed it was a defective regulator so l replaced it but still no charging..is it possible that a defective oil pressure sender could shut down the charging system?
Dave
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi wind Rose,

Sorry you haven't received any replies.

I think some more specifics on your setup are probably needed. I am no expert and especially no expert in remote regulated systems.

If you have a new regulator and the alternator will definitely create a charge if the field is excited it seems the issue is whether the regulator is sensing system voltage or whether it is sending an excitement to the alternator field.

Either of thise should be measurable with a voltmeter.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:28   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Wind Rose 11,

If you are using an oil pressure switch to turn the regulator on, I guess by now you have jumped the switch contacts to see if it is faulty ?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00   #4

Boat: Bayfield 36
Well l did jump the switches and found they were operational but the system was still not charging.
Thats when the work begins...l knew l had a good regulator and a good alternator so it was down to wiring defects and the tedious job of checking continuity on all wires and indicators.
My 12 v source from the ignition switch to the alternator was showing no continuity so l ran a jumper from the ig switch to the alt and it began charging so l had found the problem but not yet the cause of the problem.
The wire was incorporated into an instrument cluster harness that was connected to a main harness ( where btw the coded wire l was tracing started out as Black/White then white/red in the main harness and back to black/red at the charging/starter harness) so l traced it looking for wear spots and obvious indications.
Short version...a pin in the connector of two of the three harnesses was retracted not making contact with the female portion...simple but not obvious on first inspection...l was looking more for corrosion/connecion failure.
So l now have invested in a backup smart regulator seeing as that was not the issue the old regulator works fine.
Just a note on the installation...my original setup was using a Powerline Alternator and an Aqualine Regulator and they were paired up perfectly...l was unable to obtain a replacement Aqualine Regulator as they were redesigning their electronics to update the reg so l had to purchase a Balmar Reg (the original part # MC-612 but now MC-614) and had to rewire a harness as the two Manufacturers do not use similar connections. l found the Balmar Stator plug was not a good fit with the Powerline Alternator..it required a bit of force for the connector to "snap in".
It seemed to fit ok on my initial installation but l soon discovered it was not making a sound connection.
Thanks for all that replied and hope others may learn from my experiences.
Dave
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote