Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2013, 07:06   #1

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
DC to DC charger or 3 step Alternator regulator

Yes I know these items have been discussed before. My situation, I need to put a plan for a upgrade to a 65' Ketch its got a single Leece Neville 95 amp alternator a Victron 24V 5KVA inverter Charger and when away from the dock a 8KW Diesel genset. Its a 24V system with 8 of 12V 95Ahr Gel Battery house Bank, 2 of same for Starter Motor its been fine for day trips till now but next couple of months we go blue water.
Apart from installing, refrig, water maker, auto pilot, and probably dealing with a inadequate house bank. We need more amp hrs generated and battery monitoring. Unfortunately because of a new hyd power supply for bow thruster there is no room for a 2nd alternator. And money is getting tight and I'm still yet to convince my crew buddies of the need for a battery Monitor.
So my question is should we get a 3 step external regulator for the alternator, change output to House bank and use battery combiner. OR Should we keep the alternator as it is on start battery, and get a DC to DC charger from start battery to House bank.
I think knowing my crew buddies I can only have one of these items. Which way do you reckon.
And do you think we have adequate House bank.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, charger, regulator