Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2013, 08:09   #16

I guess I really wasn't looking for any specific advise, just some validation..and I got that so I feel somewhat better. The old panel was old..the DC gauges no longer functioned and the wiring was in poor shape so it did need to be replaced...just not now. Yes I did have a written estimate that outline the scope of work and it said nothing about removing the DC panel. I guess he thought he was doing me a favor in that the actual cost was 300 less than the quote. I agree of I knew he were going to do that right then I would have bought an entire panel that would do it all! Oh yeah they went ahead and charged my credit card for the balance no questions asked....thank you very much.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 08:43   #17
Zil

Re: DC panel

If he had not removed the old panel with bad parts, he would have been responsible for failures later, seeing he had worked on the electric system. He should not have accepted your job if he felt the job needed more than you wanted. I would not trust an electrician that didn't see the rest of the problems up front.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 08:55   #18

Stop the payment on your credit card. If you can at this stage (late date?). Good luck. One of the reasons I never let anyone else touch my boat. The one time I did I was there, and he still insisted on doing something that was wrong - I had to redo it myself. That was 14 years ago...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 08:57   #19

Whenever doing this type work there is no good way to go about it. I've had estimates as high as 100 k to just rip all the old wiring and start over...well thats not going to happen. So right now I have steady 240/125 shore power to all the AC components, and if I want a DC item to work I guess I'll have to hot wire it in with a circuit breaker from the panel until I get a replacement panel. Oh yeah he identified that my 100 amp charger was not functioning so I'm down to the 40 amp charger for the batteries. Just means more overtime and saving and pinto beans and corn bread!
Old 25-03-2013, 09:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
If he had not removed the old panel with bad parts, he would have been responsible for failures later, seeing he had worked on the electric system. He should not have accepted your job if he felt the job needed more than you wanted. I would not trust an electrician that didn't see the rest of the problems up front.
You guys are pretty harsh, if failures began to occur after the replacement of the AC panel, I suspect the contractor would have been a target still..
The nature of the business, sailors on a budget, hire a contractor, hope they can work around failing systems and cry foul when the "inevitable" unforeseen problem arises as in this case, a failing and probable unsafe DC panel gets in the way of new work. Yes it sucks, but think of how happy and safe you will be with the new panel...Sailors, our reputation is well deserved.......
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 09:18   #21

What 'wears out" on a panel? just replace any bad breakers....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 09:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
What 'wears out" on a panel? just replace any bad breakers....
OP said volt gauges are blown
Old 25-03-2013, 10:10   #23

I just bought two smaller voltage digitals for less than $5 off Ebay... time will tell if they are any good, but they both read identical and right on compared with my Fluke VOM.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 12:54   #24
Zil

Tar34; you stated it better than i, but that is what I meant.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 17:23   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
You guys are pretty harsh, if failures began to occur after the replacement of the AC panel, I suspect the contractor would have been a target still..
The nature of the business, sailors on a budget, hire a contractor, hope they can work around failing systems and cry foul when the "inevitable" unforeseen problem arises as in this case, a failing and probable unsafe DC panel gets in the way of new work. Yes it sucks, but think of how happy and safe you will be with the new panel...Sailors, our reputation is well deserved.......
+1
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 17:42   #26

I don't know, I guess I would have expected a call before he proceeded with something that was so completely outside the scope of work agreed upon. I understand one can't anticipate all the things that happen but I generally like to be consulted before I'm $c3wed.
Old 25-03-2013, 20:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
I guess I really wasn't looking for any specific advise, just some validation..and I got that so I feel somewhat better. The old panel was old..the DC gauges no longer functioned and the wiring was in poor shape so it did need to be replaced...just not now. Yes I did have a written estimate that outline the scope of work and it said nothing about removing the DC panel. I guess he thought he was doing me a favor in that the actual cost was 300 less than the quote. I agree of I knew he were going to do that right then I would have bought an entire panel that would do it all! Oh yeah they went ahead and charged my credit card for the balance no questions asked....thank you very much.
So the DC panel was old and dangerous.. and you admit it needed to be replaced. Just not now...so you agreed to replace just the AC panel. So obviously there was no discussion of a common AC DC panel as an option? The cost of what came in $300 under estimate? I'm unclear on that point.
Old 25-03-2013, 20:54   #28

The cost of replacing the AC panel and the labor was 300 less than the price quoted. Probably because he didn't come back today. I told him after this episode I needed to reasses where we were.
Old 25-03-2013, 22:42   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I don't know, I guess I would have expected a call before he proceeded with something that was so completely outside the scope of work agreed upon. I understand one can't anticipate all the things that happen but I generally like to be consulted before I'm $c3wed.
+

Based on your one sided story, and the grainy pictures you posted.

I would say that the electrician stopped you from screwing yourself and your guest.

It might be wise to hire an Electrical Survey...just so going forward you know what you have, that is serviceable and what is dangerous.

I'm hired by Insurance Co's, Brokers, as well as Marine Surveyors and Owners...all the time to do just that.

I am paid to advise not to do the work and/or sell parts.

Then you can take that knowledge to the market and make an RFP to 1 or 100 vendors and make your choice from there.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 22:47   #30

Quote:
The cost of replacing the AC panel and the labor was 300 less than the price quoted. Probably because he didn't come back today. I told him after this episode I needed to reasses where we were.
Could it be that he was in the process of installing YOUR new DC panel?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote