Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 17:57   #46
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,034
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Height, I don't know why, but the battery box is shallow. To do it right would mean cutting it out an glassing in a deeper one.
Too many other projects to do before that


Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 18:37   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Unless there is a big reason not to, I would go for both a genset and plenty of solar power. Wind only maybe possibly if where you sail it is windy and very windy.

Alternatively, I would go for plenty of solar plus HQ regulators on my alternators.

b.
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 19:54   #48
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Personally I would never put a solar panel on a pretty boat.

I run my generator for 2 hrs every 3 or 4 days on the hook . Lifepo4 batteries charge very fast and make 40 gallons of water at the same time . Live like at home . Micro wave , washing machine , hot showers , ......

Regards
We live continuously at anchorages for five months. The only reason we are looking to add possibly 2-4 Solbian panels to the top of the Bimini is to top off the batteries. Its not good for the genset to run for so many hours without a load.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 00:26   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 1,373
Images: 7
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
It depends on the boat, some of them can integrate some solar panels without looking like an oil rig.!
What's wrong with the way oil rigs look?

From a pure functional viewpoint they look magnificent, one of mankind's great engineering achievements. True beauty is when function and form complement. I just had a very fancy super gin palace overtake me and it's wake threw the dirty dishes out of the sink. In the eyes of the skipper his sleek, chrome clad, behemoth is obviously the prettiest thing on water. On mine, filled with the beauty of broad, early morning vistas of the Great Sandy Straits it was the ugliest experience of the day.

One of the uses I put my engine driven charger to was to run it for an hour or so to put a bulk charge into the batteries this allowed the panels to do a final topping up which they had all day to do.
__________________
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 05:49   #50
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We live continuously at anchorages for five months. The only reason we are looking to add possibly 2-4 Solbian panels to the top of the Bimini is to top off the batteries. Its not good for the genset to run for so many hours without a load.
The beauty of Lifepo4 , they take full charge current until full , so generator is loaded to 60 percent for the entire charge cycle .

Regards
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:05   #51
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
What's wrong with the way oil rigs look?

From a pure functional viewpoint they look magnificent, one of mankind's great engineering achievements. True beauty is when function and form complement. I just had a very fancy super gin palace overtake me and it's wake threw the dirty dishes out of the sink. In the eyes of the skipper his sleek, chrome clad, behemoth is obviously the prettiest thing on water. On mine, filled with the beauty of broad, early morning vistas of the Great Sandy Straits it was the ugliest experience of the day.

One of the uses I put my engine driven charger to was to run it for an hour or so to put a bulk charge into the batteries this allowed the panels to do a final topping up which they had all day to do.
Well, not really. I'm not aware of any solar chargers that will stay at absorption voltage all day, but I'd love to find one.
__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:07   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
The beauty of Lifepo4 , they take full charge current until full , so generator is loaded to 60 percent for the entire charge cycle .

Regards
Agreed! They're still a little pricey for now. I think a lot of people will be switching over after their current batteries need to be replaced.
__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 09:25   #53
Vendor
 
witzgall's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Posts: 1,773
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
I call bs on Dashew's claims that a powerboat in use to cross oceans is cheaper than a sailboat. He's in the business of selling powerboats to sailors so he has an inherent bias.
I completely believe Steve, for how they run their boats. Lots of complexity, expensive systems, and high levels of maintenance. The sailboats had all of that, plus the sailing systems - sails, rigging, hardware, etc. Plus the power boats are designed for greater efficiency at power than the sailboats.

Chris
__________________
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 13:10   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Laboe - Germany
Posts: 443
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Quote:
The beauty of Lifepo4 , they take full charge current until full , so generator is loaded to 60 percent for the entire charge cycle .
@typhoon:

Would be interested to learn what your LiFePO4 capacity is and what kind of charger and generator you use.

Thanks!

Carsten
__________________
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 13:20   #55
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Take a look at my you tube site linked to the bottom of my posts . Or just look up S/V Salserenity on you tube .

Regards
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 22:32   #56
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 1,373
Images: 7
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I completely believe Steve, for how they run their boats. Lots of complexity, expensive systems, and high levels of maintenance. The sailboats had all of that, plus the sailing systems - sails, rigging, hardware, etc. Plus the power boats are designed for greater efficiency at power than the sailboats.

Chris
It's not just a matter of cost, a good sailboat does not entirely rely upon it's engine and you can go around the world a number of times on a good set of sails. Redundancy counts.
__________________
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 08:24   #57
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,034
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Well, not really. I'm not aware of any solar chargers that will stay at absorption voltage all day, but I'd love to find one.

I. Haven't even hooked up my Outback 80 yet, but my shore power charger can be tricked by setting absorption and float at the same voltage, I don't think you even have to have them .1V apart, but you may.
I assume the Outback has a custom battery profile and can trick it that way


Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 09:24   #58
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

You can set your Outback controller to stay at absorption for as long as you want to. But of course it will only do that if the conditions allow the voltage to get to absorption.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 09:57   #59
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,034
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You can set your Outback controller to stay at absorption for as long as you want to. But of course it will only do that if the conditions allow the voltage to get to absorption.

Good to know, once we go , I'll watch acceptance rate at absorption voltage, only way I know of to ensure full charge, that will keep me from cooking the batteries.


Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 11:55   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Victron MPPT are programmable. Check out they may allow you to extend the absorption phase.

b.
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator, solar, wind

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
440: Our Solution To Mounting 750-Watts Of Solar Lagoon4us Lagoon Catamarans 18 11-04-2013 12:28
Need wind vane solution Pacificseacraft Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 29-03-2013 13:56
Fuel Pump On Generator Died... Which Solution? droquette Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 2 28-08-2012 13:57
Portable Generator vs Solar Panels or Wind Generator Sweet As Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 120 16-09-2010 19:27



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.