Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2014, 02:28   #31

Boat: Jeanneau Trinidad 48
Re: DC Battery Rig

Ok, 1st stab at incorporating Maine Sail's Triple switch idea into the diagram...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schem_05_3SW.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	74149  
mtompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 05:04   #32

Oo just noticed I can change the name of the Aux bank to Start now! Will do it on the next update. The more I look at this rig, the more it grows on me as a solution.

Would you put the pos output ( to the house switch ) & the pos output from the batt, on the same post on the pos bus bar?
Old 17-01-2014, 05:16   #33

Boat: Catalina 30

Mainesail I have a question about another version of this diagram. What would your thoughts be if you add another 1/both/2/off switch between the house pos and the pos bus. Then connect both bank positives to the switch. The way I look at it you could isolate either bank if needed and if the house bank has an internal short you could switch all loads and the positive bus to the reserve battery.
Old 17-01-2014, 06:21   #34

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

MT you had asked what my setup was for the Starter Battery charging.
Well I have a little different setup than the rest of you guys, you see I'm an electric boat not an ICE driven one. My starter battery starts a 16KW Genset which can take a bit of draw. Since the Genset is actually my charging source rather than used to provide 120V service (I'm "rectified" out to 144V DC) I decided to "simplify" and let the Alternator (40A)charge only the Starter battery. It may not be the most efficiant use of the Alternator but after reading about all the hybrid Alts. with triple belts and gold plating I figured it would be less strain on the system and my wallet.
My Genset charges the Propulsion bank only. From there power is fed to a 144V to 12V charger that keeps the House bank topped. I have an Echo charger that hasn't been installed, my house batts are around 20' away from the start batt which was moved close to the Genset up front. The plan is to install solar panels this year to take the load off the Propulsion bank as much as possible.

Steve in Solomons MD
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 07:42   #35

Wow, that sounds great, I love the idea of a diesel electric setup one day, I'm not ready yet! I'll let you guys iron out all the R&D for a few more years!! :-)
Old 18-01-2014, 13:09   #36

Latest schematic, if I want to monitor the start bank (nice to have!) is the wiring the same as on the house bank, or does the Echo or ACR have any weird effects?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Schem_06.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	74222  
Old 18-01-2014, 18:28   #37

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtompson View Post
Latest schematic, if I want to monitor the start bank (nice to have!) is the wiring the same as on the house bank, or does the Echo or ACR have any weird effects?
Linkpro has an input to read the voltage on a second battery (start). I don't think you need to know amp-hrs on the start battery, just the voltage anyway.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 18:31   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I agree. A dedicated start battery doesn't have to be monitored, voltage is all that is needed. Victron's BMV-602 will tell you voltage on the start battery as well as full monitoring on the house bank.

The Echo Charge or ACR will have no effect on monitoring. Just remember that the shunt has to be the first connection after the negative post of the house bank.

Your schematic doesn't show fuses on each side of the Echo Charge near the positive posts. Also the switch in the connection to the house bank from the Echo isn't needed.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 23:41   #39

Thanks guys, I'll have a go at wiring in a BMV-602 later on. There is a fuse for the Echo charge on the Start side, it uses one of the MRBF Terminals (might not be too clear in my diagram) I agree with adding one on the House side.
Old 18-01-2014, 23:46   #40

I don't have time to wire the battery monitor to the Start bank at the moment, so for now...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Schem_07.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	74250  
Old 19-01-2014, 01:38   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
There is a fuse for the Echo charge on the Start side, it uses one of the MRBF Terminals (might not be too clear in my diagram) I agree with adding one on the House side.
The Echo Charge cannot use one of the MRBF fuses. Every time the wire gauge gets smaller a new fuse for the smaller wire will be needed. The Echo Charge wire is sized for the 15 amp input/output it has. That wire will catch fire long before the MRBF fuse pops.

The only additional wire needed for the BMV-602 over the 600 is one to the start positive post, also fused near the terminal.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 03:04   #42

Ok, is it not possible to get MRBF fuses down to 15amp? I had a very quick look at the blue sea site, they might just go down to 30?
Old 19-01-2014, 05:57   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Ok, is it not possible to get MRBF fuses down to 15amp? I had a very quick look at the blue sea site, they might just go down to 30?
MRBF fuses go down to 30A and this is within the limits of the Echo's wire... We still don't know what size fuses you are using on house & start but you have 2/0 wire so 300A would be good if you are using 105C marine wire.....
Old 19-01-2014, 09:38   #44

I can't really work out sizes for everything just yet, I'm still working out loads. The main reason I tagged a few lines with the 2/0 size was to show the run through without the need for new fuses, as you helped reduce my initial bunch of fuses earlier on.
Just to clarify, when you say that 30A is within the limits of the Echo wire, does that mean the fuse will go before the wire? Do you think it's best not to us an MRBF in this case?
Thanks
Old 19-01-2014, 10:58   #45

Boat: Gulfstar

SIMPLE.... combine ALL batteries, one bank, one charging wire! keep one gp 24 aside for starting..(if your not lazy).if ever needed! Or, buy an expensive battery combiner, and endure the hook-up wiring involved! In my opinion, battery combiners were made for a market of insecure and paranoid boat owners! Overkill to say the least!
Salty Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery