Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-09-2015, 10:08   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Current Measurement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
What? Im of the school that one ground is the way to go. Everything on my Centaur was ground to the "chassis" so to speak. All batteries were connected to the common ground.
Grounds are connected together. But loads are connected to different buses which are located about 25 feet apart.

I could create a single common business between the two, but it would be a significant job. Or interpose a loop to the other business, from one bus, but that's poor. So I live with what I have.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 08-09-2015, 10:14   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Grounds are connected together. But loads are connected to different buses which are located about 25 feet apart.

I could create a single common business between the two, but it would be a significant job. Or interpose a loop to the other business, from one bus, but that's poor. So I live with what I have.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yep
No point in going to expense or trouble if thats what you have.

weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:15   #33

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The root problem is that there are two negative buses which feed separate groups of equipment. I could cut the connection between one set of batts and one of the busses, feed it back up to the other bus with a heavy cable, then tie back to the first bus with another heavy cable, but this would introduce long cable runs for heavy power consumers (10 horsepower bow thruster) -- definitely not a good idea.

My through hulls, mast, etc. are not bonded -- per modern practice.

Reading back, you have two banks now, a 12 V and a 24 V bank. Not sure I followed your above description on what you propose possibly cutting and feeding back. How much voltage do you measure between the two negative bus bars, typically ? How far apart are they, physically ? I take it you want to joint these two bus - sides, and I'm saying you should be able to determine with a meter if they are electrically floating from each other. On another point, though, if they are seemingly at the same potential on their negative sides, it could be through a piece of equipment or housing that you didn't intend to be the 'bridge'.

On your bonding system, are you keeping everything under water isolated from each other item, such as prop shaft from transmission, rudder-quadrant-cables-pedestal from the engine, etc, or just the individual bronze through hulls isolated ?

On the mast, how do you eliminate the buildup of static electricity in stormy conditions ? Your SSB ground plane plate is bonded to the mast base, correct ?

Think about the steering quadrant for a minute, with its engine controls and chain to the rudder quadrant. It is connected to the engine / transmission via the wire control cables. It is connected to the rudder post via the chains, unless it is hydraulic. Unless you have a drive-isolater between the transmission flange and the propshaft coupling, the prop and shaft are also bonded to the engine and rudder post, effectively.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:19   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
Reading back, you have two banks now, a 12 V and a 24 V bank. Not sure I followed your above description on what you propose possibly cutting and feeding back. How much voltage do you measure between the two negative bus bars, typically ? How far apart are they, physically ? I take it you want to joint these two bus - sides, and I'm saying you should be able to determine with a meter if they are electrically floating from each other. On another point, though, if they are seemingly at the same potential on their negative sides, it could be through a piece of equipment or housing that you didn't intend to be the 'bridge'.

On your bonding system, are you keeping everything under water isolated from each other item, such as prop shaft from transmission, rudder-quadrant-cables-pedestal from the engine, etc, or just the individual bronze through hulls isolated ?

On the mast, how do you eliminate the buildup of static electricity in stormy conditions ? Your SSB ground plane plate is bonded to the mast base, correct ?

Think about the steering quadrant for a minute, with its engine controls and chain to the rudder quadrant. It is connected to the engine / transmission via the wire control cables. It is connected to the rudder post via the chains, unless it is hydraulic. Unless you have a drive-isolater between the transmission flange and the propshaft coupling, the prop and shaft are also bonded to the engine and rudder post, effectively.
I had four banks, 2 x 24v and 2 x 12v, now I have three: 1 x 24v, and 2x 12v, but the 24v bank is formed out of two banks so has a weird architecture.

The two former banks were made into one by binding the positive sides together but leaving everything else as it was. That allows consumers to draw from the combined batteries of both former banks -- the point of it all.

As to grounding and anodic protection of other things -- that's a bit beyond the scope of the thread and certainly beyond the scope of my meager understanding, but it all works fine.

Tags
current, men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: