Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-02-2016, 12:57   #31

Re: Curious about Lithum batteries

Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
I will be looking at a battery replacement for my boat in about 24 months and seriously considering Lithium.
24 months from now, you will probably have the option of being either a conservative adopter of LiFePO4 or an early adopter of Lithium-Silicon. 2016 will probably be the first year of commercial availability for Lithium-Silicon batteries, though they've been used for years in experimental applications, like electric aircraft, satellites, etc. While Lithium-Silicon batteries will offer a lot of advantages, one disadvantage is that the voltage-discharge curve is steep (1.5V to 2.7V per cell), so a DC-DC converter must be placed between the battery and the load bus to provide a stable voltage over the charge/discharge cycle (unless all your loads will accept 12V to 24V, which is unlikely).

For a marine house bank of Lithium-Silicon cells, I would put eight (or maybe nine) in series, then use one DC-DC converter to step down to 12V for the load bus and another DC-DC converter either to step up from nominal 12V charging systems or to step down from nominal 24V charging systems to whatever is the optimal charging voltage (probably somewhere between 21V and 22V) for eight Lithium-Silicon cells.

Poseidon is an unmerciful god.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 18:55   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Curious about Lithum batteries

Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post

Currently, I have FLA and don't see the advantage for the added cost of AGM.
Depends. Are your current standard FLA in the cabin? Then you would benefit from switching to AGM.

Is your charger or alternator capable of putting out more than 25% of your existing bank capacity? Then you would benefit from switching to AGM.

Deciding to leapfrog AGM technological advancement for the next, may be a legitimate plan under certain circumstances, and one that I will likely consider as well, BUT there are legitimate reasons to switch from standard FLA to AGM now.

ramblinrod is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: