Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-05-2016, 20:12   #16

Re: 'Cruising Equipment' Quad-Cycle Regulator

I realize that this thread has some age on it but I have a question about the Quad-cycle unit that has come with a boat I purchased about a year ago. It seems to be working fine at this point but here is my question. To this point I have only had one 12v cranking battery but I am about to add a house bank. I would like to add for my house bank two 6v golf cart batteries in series connection. My concern is that the Quad-cycle wiring diagram as well as the front panel of the unit seem to indicate battery two (house) as being one 12v battery. In the case of two 6v GC batteries in series should this be a problem or will the QC unit simply read the two batteries as one and accurately calculate voltage? I can find nothing about multiple batteries on a house bank in the QC manual which I have read thanks to the google docs file link listed above. If indeed two 6v GC batteries setup is problematic for the QC I would like to ask if there is such a thing and would it be preferred to go with a 12v golf cart deep cycle battery for my house bank? Thanks in advance...

Old 08-05-2016, 20:26   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The Quad Cycle will not have any problem at all with the two 6 volters in series... in reality, that is exactly what a twelve volt battery is... 6 cells in one case instead of 3 each cells in two cases.

No worries, mate!

Jim

Old 09-05-2016, 10:15   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
I realize that this thread has some age on it but I have a question about the Quad-cycle unit that has come with a boat I purchased about a year ago. It seems to be working fine at this point but here is my question. To this point I have only had one 12v cranking battery but I am about to add a house bank. I would like to add for my house bank two 6v golf cart batteries in series connection. My concern is that the Quad-cycle wiring diagram as well as the front panel of the unit seem to indicate battery two (house) as being one 12v battery. In the case of two 6v GC batteries in series should this be a problem or will the QC unit simply read the two batteries as one and accurately calculate voltage? I can find nothing about multiple batteries on a house bank in the QC manual which I have read thanks to the google docs file link listed above. If indeed two 6v GC batteries setup is problematic for the QC I would like to ask if there is such a thing and would it be preferred to go with a 12v golf cart deep cycle battery for my house bank? Thanks in advance...
Provided your 2 6v batteries are correctly wired in series (easy) and you put the sensors at the correct locations (same as for 1 12v battery) and you set your Quad Cycle for the 6v's as 12v you should be good to go. The amp hours will be the Ah's listed for each 6v (Ah at 6v = Ah at 12v for two 6v in series), i.e. don't double the Ah's. Please note, it has been so long since I worked on a Quad Cycle that I don't remember if this is even a required entry. It is on other regulators.

Tags
regulator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: