Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 06:20   #16

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: Critique my wiring diagram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waeshael View Post
You would have charge regulation issues unless you have disconnects for each of he devices. The regulators will adjust their output according to the highest incoming voltage, so that the wind or solar will pump the voltage up and stop the alternator charging because it thinks the battery is fully charged. So you will have to choose which device will be charging. You could split the battery banks to allow two different charging devices.
You won't notice the problem unless you measure the actual charge current from each device when all are connected to the battery bank at the same time.
If you go motoring around you will find the alternator will put out very little if the solar/wind system is charging.

Now solar and wind systems want to see a load, so you can't open the circuit after the charge controller, you need a breaker/switch in the incoming solar or wind line itself.

GCM E.E.
More info if you need it.
This is WRONG.
"The regulators will adjust their output according to the highest incoming voltage"

The regulators will adjust their output according to the voltage seen across the battery, not the highest incoming voltage.

Maybe Waeshael made an honest mistake and confused current and voltage sources.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 05:41   #17

Boat: GibSea 472

To solve the issue of having 2 differents alternators charging the same battery bank, you may also install a Balmar centerfield II ( https://www.starmarinedepot.com/balm.../pzz35761.html ).
That device will control both alternators simultaniously at exactly the same voltage and eliminate the problem of different voltages levels. Looking at your electrical schema I believe that simplification would be welcome.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 21:28   #18

Boat: Bruckmann 3/4T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave777 View Post
Hi Waeshael,

Thanks for that in depth explanation.

Does the same hold true when you have an MPPT charger on the solar cells? My understanding is that the MPPT charger is a DC to DC converter and essentially reduces the charging voltage to the lowest amount which will still charge the battery.

In any case, what do you recommend when motor sailing with a solar charger. Should we turn solar off when motoring and hopefully remember to turn it back on when the motor is off?
Answer:

Under power I would switch off the Solar feed to the regulator. This will allow the alternator to do its job. I presume you are under power to charge the batteries? Even a small alternator will charge the batteries in much less time than either solar or wind.

The MPPT controller attempts to maximize the current output by operating the solar panel at its maximum power setting. Usually this requires the o/c voltage from the panel to be above 18 volts, but the battery of course limits this to whatever is its current battery terminal voltage approx 13 volts. The internal regulator of the MPPT controller converts the 18Volts at the panel to the 13V of the battery using a DC to DC converter, as you said. There are some losses in this so you won't notice a lot of benefit in a small solar array. Perhaps you might get a 10% net benefit. In any case the same regulation problem remains even with an MPPT controller, so disconnect the solar input to the regulator.
To get the most from the solar panels you need to orient them so that any shadow that falls affects the least number of panels. On a sailboat the panels should be installed along the long axis of the vessel, not across the beam where the shadow of the mast or shroud would cross all panels.

If you are at anchor you could rig a second anchor rode attached to the main rode with a rolling hitch that would allow you to pull the boat around to avoid mast shadows.
On my boat I removed the main boom altogether at anchor so the panels can see the sky clearly.
Another thing is to reduce the power consumption by using LED lighting for everything, and low power fans etc. The biggest power consumer is the fridge/freezer and there are some models that consume less than 2.5 Amps average thats about 50 A-Hrs a day. I hope to put about 100 A-Hrs a day into the batteries, that's 120 A-Hrs from the panels, and keep the sum total of my power usage to less than 100 A-hrs a day. I measure current using a clamp on probe.
One way to remind you that the solar needs to be turned on is to have a bright voltage display in the companionway where you can glance at it every time you go up. If it is reading less than 13V, you need to switch the solar on. A battery not being charged at all will read less than 12.8 volts with a moderate load, such as TV.

cheers
waeshael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring