Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 17:08   #31

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Re: Crimping tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
This reply shows a crimp connection system that is specified to work on 20 AWG to 30 AWG wires. I have used these on my boat and they work great.

The other method I use on small gauge wires, when I also need an electronic circuit, is to build my circuit using through-hole components soldered onto a small Vector circuit board, solder the wires to the board, provide mechanical attachment and strain releif to the wires, then encase the assembly within a waterproof and insulating enclosure.
I totally agree that the Molex system seems versatile. The pins are available in gold, so should do well in marine applications. I used to use something similar from AMP (now TE). I only wish that the tooling was a bit less spendy. ( ~$350.00 US for the crimper at DigiKey) For breadboarding, it's nice if the connectors are available with solder tails and are on a 0.1" pitch as then you can solder them directly to the board. But as you say, you can pigtail them to the board as well, and this permits potting the circuit if needed. I wonder if the tool (or a reasonable alternative) could be found for less $$$.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 05:22   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
So you did feel the need to be condescending. You know this forum could be a lot nicer than it often is if people would treat each other a little better.
What goes around comes around. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Pot calling the kettle black. And whatever other aphorisms come to mind.

Considering some of your comments in this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ay-141631.html I don't think you have any room at all for complaining.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 05:36   #33

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Crimping tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Amen Ron, amen. Perhaps you could clip that quote and paste it on your monitor.

+1.....or maybe abrasive is the correct word.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 05:51   #34
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I live in a place where everything I need must be specifically imported and it's a pain. So I frequently find myself looking for work arounds. Especially when refurbing this 30 year old, formerly neglected sailboat. While re-building my Force 10 LPG stove I replaced all the old burners with new stainless ones. In the process I ended up with a fistful of the small "capillary sized" (by comparison) copper tubing that's used for thermocouples etc. I Dremel cutting disked (??) those into little 10 and 20 mm lengths. Several times since then I've been able to use those to butt connect small wires. I used standard Vise (Mole) Grips as a crimping tool. And it smashes that copper all so flat and homogenous you wouldn't believe it. It turns into one piece of copper, wires and all. It's flat, and that works well in some installations. I've also doubled the flattened piece over and folded it again lengthwise with the Vise Grips for installations where it needs to be narrower. Carefully, with the wires all on one side of the copper tube to begin with. If you wanna touch that copper with an iron, it takes solder amazingly quickly and well. I don't use solder, myself, unless absolutely necessary. I've found soldered joints in general to be problematic in my situation. Whatever, A piece of shrink tubing completes it.

I realize this is no where near the original question about aircraft quality crimping tools, but if you end up with a solid copper connection, it's worth knowing about for those times when you can't get to the ideal supplies. Which for me is every friggen day.
Old 26-02-2015, 06:31   #35

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
What goes around comes around. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Pot calling the kettle black. And whatever other aphorisms come to mind.

Considering some of your comments in this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ay-141631.html I don't think you have any room at all for complaining.
You better watch out or he might report this comment for violating the "be nice" rule and you will get censored.
Old 27-02-2015, 09:44   #36

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
This reply shows a crimp connection system that is specified to work on 20 AWG to 30 AWG wires. I have used these on my boat and they work great.

The other method I use on small gauge wires, when I also need an electronic circuit, is to build my circuit using through-hole components soldered onto a small Vector circuit board, solder the wires to the board, provide mechanical attachment and strain releif to the wires, then encase the assembly within a waterproof and insulating enclosure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I totally agree that the Molex system seems versatile. The pins are available in gold, so should do well in marine applications. I used to use something similar from AMP (now TE). I only wish that the tooling was a bit less spendy. ( ~$350.00 US for the crimper at DigiKey) For breadboarding, it's nice if the connectors are available with solder tails and are on a 0.1" pitch as then you can solder them directly to the board. But as you say, you can pigtail them to the board as well, and this permits potting the circuit if needed. I wonder if the tool (or a reasonable alternative) could be found for less $$$.
The crimp tool is expensive, but it is VERY nice to have contacts and tooling designed to fit exactly to the conductor and to the insulation.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 17:04   #37

Boat: Walker H28 30 foot

Ive used these for many years never any problem. There used in marine ,Earth moving including every caterpillar machine on the planet
You can buy gold pins as well the sockets are water proof at the wire insert and also where the male female plug in.
To remove the pins from the socket takes about 10 seconds unlike the molex

Deutsch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2007.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	98276  
HG02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 17:39   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG02 View Post
The Deutsch connector system is very nice.

Removal of the Molex contacts from the housing is not a problem when using the Molex Extraction Tool.
Old 03-03-2015, 17:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG02 View Post
Ive used these for many years never any problem. There used in marine ,Earth moving including every caterpillar machine on the planet
You can buy gold pins as well the sockets are water proof at the wire insert and also where the male female plug in.

Deutsch
Those Deutsch DT Series connectors are specified for 14 - 20 AWG. They also have the DTM series that is specified for 16 - 24 AWG.

The topic is about connecting miniature wiring.

Is there a different Deutsch connector series that is specified for smaller wires?
Old 03-03-2015, 18:12   #40

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Amen Ron, amen. Perhaps you could clip that quote and paste it on your monitor.

Have to agree that Ron should paste that quote on his monitor.

Quote:
So you did feel the need to be condescending. You know this forum could be a lot nicer than it often is if people would treat each other a little better.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 18:52   #41

Boat: Liberty 458

Proskit crimpers should meet your needs. They are good quality but reasonably priced. They arent aerospace certified but i calibrate all my own tools and never lend them out. They use a standard crimp die form factor. You can usually get most dies online.

Probably overkill because the connectors will be pricey. Solder is another option.

This will probably start a don't solder war. In the real world we tend to use many methods on a real boat.

I only crimp my comms and radar coaxs. But there are many DC electrical jobs where solder works well. Good joint design, support, sealing and being neat is assumed.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 19:11   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Proskit crimpers should meet your needs. They are good quality but reasonably priced. They arent aerospace certified but i calibrate all my own tools and never lend them out. They use a standard crimp die form factor. You can usually get most dies online.
Which Pro'sKit Dies and which connectors are used for the small gauge wires?
Old 03-03-2015, 22:39   #43

Boat: Liberty 458

There are dozens of crimp dies. What connectors are you using? I have dies for common coax and some canon plugs but for one offs i might solder rather than buy another set of dies.

I tend to only use name brands such as amphenol. I find some of the cheaper crimp connectors are made either out of tolerance or to their own funky sizing.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:16   #44

Boat: Walker H28 30 foot

Quote:
Those Deutsch DT Series connectors are specified for 14 - 20 AWG. They also have the DTM series that is specified for 16 - 24 AWG.

The topic is about connecting miniature wiring.

Is there a different Deutsch connector series that is specified for smaller wires?
They do make smaller I.D.pins for smaller wire and use the same sockets( being an ozzie our gage is different) I have no need on my boat small gage wire .3 mm is about it
Ive done far to many PC's pulling molex terminals out on sockets for sleeving to ever want to do that again .
Ill go back to sleep Ive still a thousand Molex terminals here if you ever want them
HG02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:44   #45

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Which Pro'sKit Dies and which connectors are used for the small gauge wires?
I think this die set will do for small gauge open barrel contacts. I think it will work for the Molex pins you mentioned, but I have not tried it. I plan to order some pins / housings and try it. I'll post what I find. I'm *quite sure* it won't do the same job as the dedicated Molex tool, but it's in my budget and the Proskit setup works well for other crimping operations. It works so well in fact, I may stop carrying my Anchor ratchet crimpers for insulated and heatshrink terminals. There are also dies for ferrules and MC4 (solar panel) connectors. It packs a lot smaller than all the dedicated crimp tools, so has a home on the boat.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote