Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 14:13   #16

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Re: Crimping tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
If you have a Paladin crimper frame, they make a die (PA2097) for 28-20 AWG
It looks just like an ANCHOR crimper, but I think its a knock off because there is no logo on it.
Attached Images

Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 14:33   #17

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
It looks just like an ANCHOR crimper, but I think its a knock off because there is no logo on it.
I'm guessing a Paladin die will not fit an ANCOR frame. The dies are manufacturer specific and there is no standard, as far as I know. But if you have a store that sells Paladin tools in your area, you could bring your frame in and try.

By the way, I use the "fold the wire over" method to double its thickness, and have never had a problem with it.
Old 23-02-2015, 14:38   #18

If I cant find the dies tomorrow, Ill do the fold over and see how it works.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 24-02-2015, 17:04   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
If I cant find the dies tomorrow, Ill do the fold over and see how it works.
Thanks for all the input.
The fold over works fine and I have been doing it for years. If folding the strands over makes the wire too big to fit the terminal you can cut some of them off. In other words, you strip twice as long, cut some of the strands to the normal length, then fold the rest. The fold over technique is also useful for joining wires of different sizes or joining three wires (two in on end of a crimpable splice and one in the other end. This is something you might do when connecting cabin lights on a loop.

Note that if you are joining different sized wires together, the overcurrent protection must be selected for the capacity of the smaller wires.
Old 25-02-2015, 00:51   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Exactly. You can't find crimpable connectors smaller than #22 anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Interesting because I use them all the time in 22-26GA ring terminals for communications wiring. It is always good to know the 400+ 24-26GA terminals I have in my organizers don't exist...

3M makes them as does Russel Industries and others...

Yep, my 3M tiny terminals just disappeared last night - they must have logged on to CF in the wee hours
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 06:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Interesting because I use them all the time in 22-26GA ring terminals for communications wiring. It is always good to know the 400+ 24-26GA terminals I have in my organizers don't exist...

3M makes them as does Russel Industries and others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

Yep, my 3M tiny terminals just disappeared last night - they must have logged on to CF in the wee hours
Why do you guys have to be so condescending in your replies? Something to prove? Why couldn't you just have provided a link to where to buy them and the tools to use them with? Without the sarcastic and condescending comments?

You know, most boaters are not professional electricians doing this stuff day after day for a living. They install something once on their boat and get their tools and supplies at West Marine or similar stores. They aren't going to want to spend $100 on a tool to use once and they aren't going to want to buy a pack of 100 connectors when they only need four.
Old 25-02-2015, 07:21   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Why do you guys have to be so condescending in your replies? Something to prove?

You know, most boaters are not professional electricians doing this stuff day after day for a living. They install something once on their boat and get their tools and supplies at West Marine or similar stores. They aren't going to want to spend $100 on a tool to use once and they aren't going to want to buy a pack of 100 connectors when they only need four.
Ron,

I was simply responding to your rather factual sounding statement, which I admit did give me a chuckle, and yielded a tongue-in-cheek response. If you did not appreciate it, I apologize... Sometimes tongue-in-cheek, in writing, does not translate well..

Quote:
Exactly. You can't find crimpable connectors smaller than #22 anyway.

"Can't find" is a rather strong statement for something that is not at all true.

If you don't know something to be true perhaps not making factually sounding statements would be a better approach, and less misleading???

Perhaps saying.....

"Exactly, I have had trouble finding small GA crimp connectors. Maybe someone here knows a source?"

Would have been a safer approach...??

It is how YOU say stuff to others that yield the responses you often get from folks here.

The OP also specifically asked for aviation grade tools, which are very expensive, so I don't suspect a $6.00 purchase of terminals is going to break the bank, even if he winds up with some extras...

Quote:
Can some one reccomend an avation grade crimper for 24ga or smalled wires?
Thanks

Quote:
Why couldn't you just have provided a link to where to buy them and the tools to use them with? Without the sarcastic and condescending comments?
Post #6 had already given a link that laid all this out. The better question is why couldn't you have clicked that link before responding?

I felt no need to re-post or double post that link.. Had you clicked it, before responding, you would have seen that link provided all the things you'd need, and that these terminals do exist, and that it also provided an inexpensive tool that can do this all at a fair cost, and that makes crimps where the wire fails before the crimp.

Old 25-02-2015, 12:26   #23

So you did feel the need to be condescending. You know this forum could be a lot nicer than it often is if people would treat each other a little better.
Old 25-02-2015, 12:41   #24

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
So you did feel the need to be condescending. You know this forum could be a lot nicer than it often is if people would treat each other a little better.
I don't think he was being condescending at all. You, with conviction, made a factually incorrect statement. He called you on it. Deal.

And now, for anyone in the future searching for information on crimping small gauge wires, there is a factually correct post with useful information.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 14:30   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:

No, as I stated, I felt the need to be tongue-in-cheek. I also apologized.
Old 25-02-2015, 14:34   #26

Thanks for the lively discussion. I purchased a molex crimper and assortment kit today. I feel better doing it correctly the first time.
Old 25-02-2015, 15:03   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Telco installers and network installers work with 22AWG and 24AWG all the time and they always crimp it. Not with barrel crimps, but with "button" crimps where you slide 2-4 wires into small holes in one side of the crimp, then squeeze the "button" on the top which compresses down and locks them all in. The button crimps are usually silicon jelly filled too, because they don't want comebacks for corrosion.

The Telco guys used to have white crimp "sleeves" that looked a little like a petite barrel crimp, but you put all the wires in one end, and then crimped down on them. (The other end was closed, like a wire nut is.) Haven't seen those around lately but I haven't gone looking for them either.

Never met someone who was trying to CRIMP LED wires. Never saw pigtail wiring on single LEDs, either. So many new and exciting things to look forward to!

I'd just use the IsoTip (electric portable) or PortaSol (butane portable) soldering iron and be done with it cheap and fast.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 16:02   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

For wire that small & current that low I solder &/or use the Harbor Freight cheap as heck pre-tinned crimp connectors. These are available in small sizes and there is a basic non-ratchet crimper that is more like a set of pliers for these. There is then no minimum size. If you solder, slip a piece of shrink tube on first and shrink it over the joint as strain relief. I even bought a double A battery operated low watt solder iron for this.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 16:06   #29

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
And now, for anyone in the future searching for information on crimping small gauge wires, there is a factually correct post with useful information.
This reply shows a crimp connection system that is specified to work on 20 AWG to 30 AWG wires. I have used these on my boat and they work great.

The other method I use on small gauge wires, when I also need an electronic circuit, is to build my circuit using through-hole components soldered onto a small Vector circuit board, solder the wires to the board, provide mechanical attachment and strain releif to the wires, then encase the assembly within a waterproof and insulating enclosure.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 16:35   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Amen Ron, amen. Perhaps you could clip that quote and paste it on your monitor.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote