Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2018, 20:04   #1

Boat: CAL-2 30'
COUPLE QUESTIONS ON FINAL COMPONENT LIST

I am ordering all the parts to be installed by myself and final connection/inspection by a marine electrician. My questions are in red and everything else is ordered already.

Solar, Alternator and Shorepower chargers to House Batts

2 WEST MARINE Deep Cycle Flooded Marine Battery, 90 Amp Hours, Group 27

Echo charger to Start Batt
1 WEST Marine FLA Starting Battery, 1000MCA, Group 24

SmartPlug 30A from shorepower

MARINE 10 AWG TRIPLEX WIRE IN (12” plug to panel) Adequate?

ProMariner 22034 ProSafe 30 Amp Galvanic Isolator
Blue Seas 120vac-30a-ELCI-Main-AC-Panel in Enclosure 3116

3 BLUE SEA SYSTEMS A-Series Flat Rocker Circuit Breakers, Single Pole

Are these the correct size CBs?
- Charger 15A
- Refrigerator 15A
- 2 Receptacles 20A

MARINE 12 AWG TRIPLEX WIRE OUT

WHICH CHARGER?
PROMARINER PROSPORT 20 GEN 3 20 AMP-2 BANK BATTERY CHARGER

OR

ProMariner Tournament 24 Amp 12/24V Elite Battery Charger

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the help, so far,
Dave
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 22:53   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: COUPLE QUESTIONS ON FINAL COMPONENT LIST

G'day Dave,
Just before you go to all the exspense of everything have you worked out the total amount of power your boat will use. Reason I ask this is that I believe this is vitally important in regards to the final outcome of all the work you want to put into your boat. Knowing the power draw of your boat over 24 hours really determines in my opinion what cabling, charging, batteries etc you will require.
I just went through the process of working out the theoretical maximum demand on our boat to determine what size solar panels, cables, fuses etc I needed to not only keep up with the demand of the boat but replace that has been used.
Just to give you an idea on our boat we use between 150 and 200 amphours in a 24 hour period (using that at the moment due to being in tropics and fridges and freezers working hard). We keep it charged with several methods including charges while at the marina, deisel generator, 1.2 KW of solar power controlled by two 60amp MPPT controllers and also our 100 amp alternators.
There are some excelent sites on the internet on working out voltage drop in 12 volt systems and fuse/circuit breakers sizes. Blue sea have a very good webpage on this. There is also a very good site for working out the power consumption of your boat over a 24 hr period. I will see if I can locate and post it here for you if you do not have it already.
Knowing how much power you use can then assist you greatly in what size house battery you require taking into account that one should only utilise 40 percent of the batteries capacity (AGM, lithium far more). Please PM me if I can be of any assistance.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 23:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
G'day Dave,
Just before you go to all the exspense of everything have you worked out the total amount of power your boat will use. Reason I ask this is that I believe this is vitally important in regards to the final outcome of all the work you want to put into your boat. Knowing the power draw of your boat over 24 hours really determines in my opinion what cabling, charging, batteries etc you will require.
I just went through the process of working out the theoretical maximum demand on our boat to determine what size solar panels, cables, fuses etc I needed to not only keep up with the demand of the boat but replace that has been used.
Just to give you an idea on our boat we use between 150 and 200 amphours in a 24 hour period (using that at the moment due to being in tropics and fridges and freezers working hard). We keep it charged with several methods including charges while at the marina, deisel generator, 1.2 KW of solar power controlled by two 60amp MPPT controllers and also our 100 amp alternators.
There are some excelent sites on the internet on working out voltage drop in 12 volt systems and fuse/circuit breakers sizes. Blue sea have a very good webpage on this. There is also a very good site for working out the power consumption of your boat over a 24 hr period. I will see if I can locate and post it here for you if you do not have it already.
Knowing how much power you use can then assist you greatly in what size house battery you require taking into account that one should only utilise 40 percent of the batteries capacity (AGM, lithium far more). Please PM me if I can be of any assistance.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Seriously Greg, thanks for the offer, but my boat is like a dingy compared to yours and my needs are simple- fans, stereo, lights, electronics, anchor windlass, and cold drinks. 'Olali is mostly a Day/Coastal cruiser and lives in a marina, but will eventually make it through all the Hawaiian Isles again. The size/number of batt/solar I could have was already determined by where I could put them. I think my plan is bout the best I can do. Please let me know if you see anything I could have done better.

Oh, and it is too late for the expense. All done except the charger and individual breakers which I haven't decided on, yet.
Thanks again,
Dave
Old 16-09-2018, 00:39   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Dave, not sure what the more expensive charger is going to do for you, other than lighten your wallet.

We have a similar sized set up. 2 x GP31 with Sterling (Pro Mariner) 40 amp charger and spearate 60AH engine start battery. Whilst the charger will start off at 40 amps it quickly drops down over 30 minutes to high twenties and slowly continues to drop as the batteries are charged up. The internal resistance of the batteries means they can't accept a large current as they approach fully charged.

We are going to need new batteries shortly and may drop down to GP27s as we don't need 2 x 110AH capacity. The 40 amp charger will remain. Worth pointing out your charger will also be a power pack for the 12v system when you are on shore power.

You haven't mentioned any solar power to keep topped up when away from the boat. You can't be sure of mains chargers because the supply may trip out or someone disconnects you, a common problem.

Just adding to what Greg said, do you have any battery monitoring system? this will greatly assist in enabling you to see what is going on and stop you discharging the batteries below about 50%.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 01:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Dave, not sure what the more expensive charger is going to do for you, other than lighten your wallet.
That's what I was wondering. Do you think 20A should be minimum FOR 3 BATTERIES?

We have a similar sized set up. 2 x GP31 with Sterling (Pro Mariner) 40 amp charger and spearate 60AH engine start battery. Whilst the charger will start off at 40 amps it quickly drops down over 30 minutes to high twenties and slowly continues to drop as the batteries are charged up. The internal resistance of the batteries means they can't accept a large current as they approach fully charged.

We are going to need new batteries shortly and may drop down to GP27s as we don't need 2 x 110AH capacity. The 40 amp charger will remain. Worth pointing out your charger will also be a power pack for the 12v system when you are on shore power.

You haven't mentioned any solar power to keep topped up when away from the boat. You can't be sure of mains chargers because the supply may trip out or someone disconnects you, a common problem.
I have a rigid 80w panel and an 80w suitcase to a Victron MPPT 75/15 connected to the House batts. I haven't figured out any deck space I want to permanently give up so they aren't attached yet but the rigid is sitting on the cabin roof right now in the marina.

Just adding to what Greg said, do you have any battery monitoring system? this will greatly assist in enabling you to see what is going on and stop you discharging the batteries below about 50%.
Nothing but the DC panel VOLTS meter and REV POL light. I am open to suggestions.
Old 16-09-2018, 03:23   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Battery monitors that are recommended on here are the smart Gauge or the Sterling (Pro Mariner). Slightly cheaper is the NASA.

The Smart Gauge doesn't count amps just gives a state of charge and volts. Reports that is it wildly inaccurate whilst charging but fine otherwise.

I have the sterling which does give charging and discharging amps, though there are different views on how accurate this actually is. Me I am quite happy with it and I can see at a glance what is happening, that the solar or sterling charger is working and most important what we have used. The NASA does the same.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF-Charging.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	177446  
Old 16-09-2018, 03:41   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is an 80w panel, since changed to a frame with 150w solar panel which might give you some ideas. There is also a great thread on here with lots of different mounting options.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-179638.html

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	177447  
Old 16-09-2018, 13:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Battery monitors that are recommended on here are the smart Gauge or the Sterling (Pro Mariner). Slightly cheaper is the NASA.

The Smart Gauge doesn't count amps just gives a state of charge and volts. Reports that is it wildly inaccurate whilst charging but fine otherwise.

I have the sterling which does give charging and discharging amps, though there are different views on how accurate this actually is. Me I am quite happy with it and I can see at a glance what is happening, that the solar or sterling charger is working and most important what we have used. The NASA does the same.

Pete
Does anyone have any experience with the new BT NASA monitor -
NASA Marine BM1-BT-12 Bluetooth Battery Monitor Instrument -12VDC|
Old 16-09-2018, 15:31   #9

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I would say go bigger on the charger ,i had a similar sized set up on my pdq . Kept killing batteries . Went from a 20 amp charger to a 50 strerling . And noe i cam get my batteries up . Went from 150 watts to 275 at the same time . You may not have room for a bigger pannel but you probaley have for the larger charger . When in the marina with all your stuff on you might only have a few amps left for the battery.
I think of it like this rope can only be to short and a charger to small
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 16:58   #10

Boat: currently boatless

Dave,
I have used the Nasa instruments before except for the battery monitor. I found them very good and excellent value for money. Friends have had the battery monitor and have been very happy with them. I have a mastervolt and Xantrex and found both very good. All of them are wired very similarly.

Greg H
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 23:45   #11

if you plan to run the fridge, lights, etc while plugged into the dock. those sealed / waterproof chargers are not the right choice. and too small. you need a dry mount charger with fans to run 24/7. I would look at the 30-40a range.

12" for the 12/3 seems really short. did you mean 12'? you will need a foot at each end just for the connections. plus whatever distance inbetween.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 04:22   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenrino View Post
WHICH CHARGER?
PROMARINER PROSPORT 20 GEN 3 20 AMP-2 BANK BATTERY CHARGER

OR

ProMariner Tournament 24 Amp 12/24V Elite Battery Charger

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the help, so far,
Dave

I'd have thought the Pronautic charger line would be more appropriate.

More is often better.

-Chris
Old 17-09-2018, 12:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I would say go bigger on the charger ,i had a similar sized set up on my pdq . Kept killing batteries . Went from a 20 amp charger to a 50 strerling . And noe i cam get my batteries up . Went from 150 watts to 275 at the same time . You may not have room for a bigger pannel but you probaley have for the larger charger . When in the marina with all your stuff on you might only have a few amps left for the battery.
I think of it like this rope can only be to short and a charger to small
LOL, not long after I ordered the 20A folks started saying it was too small. I was able to cancel it so now the question again - which charger?

PROFESSIONAL MARINER Pronauticp Pronautic 1230P 30A

OR

ProMariner 63140 ProNauticP Series 1240P 12-Volts 40-Amp Battery Charger

The manual says the 30A is good for up to 300AH banks and I am under that. Also, if I am onboard in the marina my DC draw is likely well under 10A as the fridge will be on 110v. Should I still go with the 40A as they are the same size and only $25 more?
Old 17-09-2018, 12:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Dave,
I have used the Nasa instruments before except for the battery monitor. I found them very good and excellent value for money. Friends have had the battery monitor and have been very happy with them. I have a mastervolt and Xantrex and found both very good. All of them are wired very similarly.
Greg H
Thanks Greg. I was actually ready to purchase the BM-1 when I saw this new Bluetooth version on ebay for the same price. Strange thing is it is only available through Sustuu in UK. I can't even find it on the NASA website. I wonder if there is a display on the module also or if those are physical buttons?

Old 17-09-2018, 14:17   #15

Ordered this one -

ProMariner 63140 ProNauticP Series 1240P 12-Volts 40-Amp Battery Charger