Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 21-12-2013, 17:04   #121
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Costco vs Trojan Batteries

ben-
If "battery making" was that easy, the same company would win all the comparison tests every year. Which they don't.
First off, it is not pure lead in the plates. Yes, recently, some are ultra-pure lead. Traditionally that's too soft and the plates deform and loose material, so different blends with cadmium and antimony are used. Each blend is like arguing who makes the best chocolate chip cookies. How each blend performs, depends on the way the battery is build and used. There is no "one best" design for all purposes!
Then there are trade-offs. Do you leave 1/2" of empty space below the batteries, to collect precipitate and keep it out of the plates? But if you leave 1/4", you have more room for plates...until they start to clog and fail sooner. And your battery will be seen as cheap because it weighs less because you have the extra empty space, even though it may perform better after normal sulphating.
Then how much money do you spend wedling or clamping plates? How much is enough, or too much? Do you use short plates, so you can keep 1/2" of electrolyte over them? Or tall plates, with more capacity, that get damaged faster when someone lets the electrolyte level go down just a titch?

Like chocolate chip cookies, there's no one best way to make them, and someone who just opens a factory and copycats them, may not get it quite right.

Old 21-12-2013, 17:09   #122
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maine-
Those "Golf Car" Duracells make me curious as to where they came from. The shelf tag says "Golf Cart" but I don't know any US dialect or regionalism that calls them "Golf Car" without the "T". (Thinking fondly of the many sloppy genuine counterfeit Duracell batteries that DO come into the US market from overseas.)

Old 21-12-2013, 17:10   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
ben-
If "battery making" was that easy, the same company would win all the comparison tests every year. Which they don't.
First off, it is not pure lead in the plates. Yes, recently, some are ultra-pure lead. Traditionally that's too soft and the plates deform and loose material, so different blends with cadmium and antimony are used. Each blend is like arguing who makes the best chocolate chip cookies. How each blend performs, depends on the way the battery is build and used. There is no "one best" design for all purposes!
Then there are trade-offs. Do you leave 1/2" of empty space below the batteries, to collect precipitate and keep it out of the plates? But if you leave 1/4", you have more room for plates...until they start to clog and fail sooner. And your battery will be seen as cheap because it weighs less because you have the extra empty space, even though it may perform better after normal sulphating.
Then how much money do you spend wedling or clamping plates? How much is enough, or too much? Do you use short plates, so you can keep 1/2" of electrolyte over them? Or tall plates, with more capacity, that get damaged faster when someone lets the electrolyte level go down just a titch?

Like chocolate chip cookies, there's no one best way to make them, and someone who just opens a factory and copycats them, may not get it quite right.

That just screams quality.
Old 21-12-2013, 17:54   #124
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"That just screams quality. "
Yup. just like mattresses (how did we ever survive before they were 14" thick?!) and tires, there's just no way you can tell what's inside the box.

I'm waiting for someone to make a battery clad in Swarovorski crystals, so the little ladies will like it. "Pretty pretty! Shiny shiny!" works every time.

Oh, and of course, one in RealTree Camo branded by the Duck Dynasty, for the macho men.
Old 21-12-2013, 17:55   #125
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Maine-
Those "Golf Car" Duracells make me curious as to where they came from. The shelf tag says "Golf Cart" but I don't know any US dialect or regionalism that calls them "Golf Car" without the "T". (Thinking fondly of the many sloppy genuine counterfeit Duracell batteries that DO come into the US market from overseas.)

The term "golf car" is widely used in that industry..

Golf Car News

Yamaha Golf Cars

Golf Car Advisor Industry News

Club Car Golf Cars

EZ-Go Golf Cars

Nothing counterfeit about those batteries they are US made by Deka/East Penn
Old 21-12-2013, 18:23   #126

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

I wasn't planning on making a decision until spring but as I was reading this thread....

I will need two house batteries this spring and my choices seem to be:
GC2 - $84.52 + tax from Samsclub (215 Ah)
EGC2 - $109.83 + tax from Samsclub (230 Ah)
T-105 - $140 / free shipping from ebay (225 Ah)

Trojan have a good reputation so, apart from the ease of return, that looks like the better deal.

Opinions? Better Options?
Old 21-12-2013, 19:01   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Costco vs Trojan Batteries

I'm actually in Pittsburgh right now. But I was just turned around by the names of the batteries. They do have the Duracell/Dekka batteries here.

I'm holding off for now because I want to see how much life my t105s have left in them. It's kind of tough because I want to upgrade to 4 6 volts and only have two right now so I kind if have to wait until my pair die so I am not pairing new with old. Sheesh first world problems
Old 27-06-2014, 09:01   #128

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post

Ever hear the expressions - "you get what you pay for"?
I prefer, "You don't get what you don't pay for."
Old 27-06-2014, 09:10   #129
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

trojan also makes 6V besides the T105 .. same quality .. costs less. check the local dealers who might give you a better deal
Old 27-06-2014, 09:59   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
I prefer, "You don't get what you don't pay for."
I might prefer "You often don't get what you pay for, but paying even less you get even less"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 10:03   #131

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

We have 4 x T-145Plus which is just about the same size of golf cart batteries and 6 volt. Not overly expensive and they are 260 Amp/Hr.
Old 27-06-2014, 10:09   #132
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I might prefer "You often don't get what you pay for, but paying even less you get even less"
Ah yes....but then there is this Cruising Axiom:
"Paying less for what you think at the time is the same or equal quality only to find out later while cruising that what you thought you knew was wrong and the price of your education will be having to replace the bargain product, costing you even more in the long run”.

Been there….done that.

I played the Costco battery game and they are now donated to a Mexican Panga boat somewhere in the Sea of Cortez.

There are a few things that in my opinion a cruiser should not skimp on and should buy the best quality he can afford: 1) Ground Tackle 2) Batteries
Without good ground tackle you can’t sleep at night and without good batteries sleeping is all you can do because you will have no power once the sun goes down.

I'm replacing my 6 T-105's with a 400AH LiOn battery bank, welcome to the future and goodbye to holes in my good cruising shirts!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 10:19   #133
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah yes....but then there is this Cruising Axiom:
"Paying less for what you think at the time is the same or equal quality only to find out later while cruising that what you thought you knew was wrong and the
price of your education will be having to replace the bargain product, costing you even more in the long run”.

Been there….done that.
Oh yeah, especially those auction or marine swap deals you think you can make work! Haha... then you end up buying the real thing also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15   #134

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 373

Not sure if this thread is still going but I found this article quite interesting, especially the pieces on lifespan and plate thickness.

Trojan are not mentioned specifically but I guess a call to their technical depart will answer the question on how thick the plates are.

http://chloride-technical.com/Genera...0batteries.pdf

If you visit the Rolls website you will see they publish the plate thickness in each of their battery spec sheets. I think I'll probably invest in batteries with the thickest plates I can find when my no-name batteries give up.
Old 20-08-2014, 23:10   #135

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55
T105 vs T125

Looking to replace the current wetcell bank.

Is there a cycle life difference between the T105 vs the T125 in Trojans?

I seem to find some information that suggests that the T105 will provide more cycles?

I can find the T105 locally for $124/battery
I can find the T125 locally for $140/battery

If just comparing these two which way would be the best to go? I do have the ability to charge well above the bank capacity off the generator and have to limit charge rate for either battery choice

Bank is 24V two strings.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: