Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-10-2008, 07:44   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Long View Post
... the brand was something "state"- the logo was green. Can't remember more...
Interstate Battery uses the colour “green” .

Sealed Lead Acid Batteries Sla Batteries Panasonic Replacement Battery Powersonic Batteries Sealed Lead Batteries
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 11:26   #47

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Long View Post
...so I went ahead and bought four of the Costco 115amp deep cycle marine batteries- they were 80ish each. The ???state batteries were FAR heavier than the Costco batteries. This mad/makes me a little nervous but not enough to change directions...
Don't worry. Those are the same batts I have on my boat and they work great.

Good luck on your journey!

Old 17-10-2008, 14:02   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interstate (one of many brands from a major OEM supplier), WalMart...these are all "retail" consumer grade batteries, not intended for commercial service and built to a different criteria. In fact WalMart has to buy from some OEM supplier, could be Interstate, could be China, and the maker will vary when a new bid is awarded.

But generally a heavier battery means more lead means more power or more charge cycles. Except, a thick heavy "rubber" case can easily outweigh a newer plastic case that contains just as much, or more, battery inside. No real way to know unless you look inside at the plates and then find out just how deep they go. (There's empty space in the bottom of every battery to allow deposits to build up, that can also vary.)

I'm sure that at WalMart if you said you got ten years out of a battery they would be shocked. Meanwhile at Rolls they would say you must have abused them if you ONLY got ten years out of them.[g] Different price, different market, different product.
Old 17-10-2008, 15:40   #49
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'm sure that at WalMart if you said you got ten years out of a battery they would be shocked. Meanwhile at Rolls they would say you must have abused them if you ONLY got ten years out of them.[g] Different price, different market, different product.
And very different Price points. At $60 apiece for deep cycle, 115 amp/hr Group 27's after 5 years of use when I toss them away and buy their replacements I'm still way...way ahead. Then again, I'm not circumnavigating..this year
Old 17-10-2008, 16:06   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

115Ah for a Group27 battery is unusually high, that's actually midrange for a Group31, and way higher than the typical 95AH for a Group27. Something has to give in order to make that happen.
Old 17-10-2008, 18:30   #51
cruiser

Quote:
115Ah for a Group27 battery is unusually high, that's actually midrange for a Group31, and way higher than the typical 95AH for a Group27. Something has to give in order to make that happen.
You should Google them or wander into Walmart and have a look. In the stores, the specs are in the manuals they have hanging by the battery display. I've read in the R/V forums that their Everstart batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls. Guys have been using them for years with terrific results.
Old 17-10-2008, 20:40   #52
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rick, Walmart's retial stores and internet business are kept rather differently. many store only items are just not on the web site at all--batteries included last time I looked. I don't doubt the rating--just that it is unusual for a G27. Batteries are all governed by the same rules of commerce and physics, if one vendor is getting 21% more amp hours out of the same physical group size--something has to change to make room for that. JCI certainly doesn't get 115AH out of ALL of their G27 batteries.

Maybe that's measured at the 50-hour discharge rate instead of the more conventional 20-hour rate?[g] Or measured over the daylight slavings time changeover?[g]

Actually I was just in a WallyWorld tonight--but they have no marine deep cycles here, just auto batteries. And the ocean's barely ten miles away, go figure.
Old 18-10-2008, 03:02   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Amp-Hour rating of battery capacity is calculated by multiplying the current in amperes times the time in hours (20 Hours). I’ve never seen a G-27 rated over 105 A/H (20 Hr Rate); and without reliable specifications would assume 85 A/H.

The BCI Group size only specifies the maximum overall dimensions, with a Group 27 Battery being: 12-1/16" L (306mm) x 6-13/16"W (1783mm) x 8-7/8" H (225mm).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 06:04   #54
cruiser

Quote:
Actually I was just in a WallyWorld tonight--but they have no marine deep cycles here, just auto batteries. And the ocean's barely ten miles away, go figure.
Why is it when something is posted that goes against convention, there's always someone to say it just can't be so?

First off, I didn't say 'marine'!! I said, Group 27, Deep cycle, 115 amp hour. I looked up my receipt - The model number of the battery at Walmart is 27DC-6. I also didn't say they were the best. I said they were the best bang for the buck. Life doesn't begin and end with boats. There are other folks out there with very similar battery requirements.

The testimonials below are on the alternative energy and RV web sites where guys are using them as house batteries and trolling motor batteries. If you do the research, as I have, these guys confirm the amp/hour capacity and number of years of service. What other information would you need to spend $60?

Here's a couple of links:

An off the grid home using these batteries for 4 years so far: New Alt Power Forklift Batteries (yes, he talks about the Walmart batteries)

One of the many trolling/fishing web sites which discuss battery life at 60 amps discharge rates.
Yahoo! Groups

I'm going to let this rest here. I suggest you spend $60 and find out for yourself.
Old 18-10-2008, 08:56   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I've done some digging, and conclude that except for the truly high end, the name on the sticky label or the factory that made it are literally meaningless. In the US, the major battery manufacturers are Exide, East Penn, and Johnson Controls. Second tier factories include Continental, Enersys, Superior, and some smaller players. There are also some 'boutique' builders with very specialized products, like copies of antique batteries, or 16 VDC batteries for racing. There is even a builder who sells more unlabelled batteries that any other.

The majors can build virtually any battery that will fit in a poly case, and they probably offer distributors and retailers a full spectrum of product to hit a price point, by juggling the components. What we see on a store's shelves is the result of some purchaser's latest gamble on what we will put up with. East Penn/Deka puts West Marine Labels on their better batteries, and delivers them from distributors charged.

If you want the best, go Rolls. If you want the cheapest, shop. Otherwise, this is strictly a commodity market. Its like buying vegetables at a farmers market. You get what looks good. And you buy by the pound.

You will rarely find imported replacement batteries because of the cost of shipping, and because there are ISO standards to be met.
Old 18-10-2008, 10:50   #56
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rick-
"Why is it when something is posted that goes against convention, there's always someone to say it just can't be so?" No one, at least not I, said it ust can't be so.

What I did say and do say, is that when any one item, observation, specification, or allegation significantly contradicts the bulk of known information--there's usually something wrong with the one discrepancy, not the rest of the world.

You may have breaktrhough batteries that are 20% better than anything ever invented before. FCould be that JCI is testing a new fusion cell via WalMart for all I know.

BUT. Having just returned a half dozen "Made in China" White LED night lights to WalMart, which had gone black after less than a year of use (as opposed to the typical 50,000-100,000 hour operating life) I can tell you that your batteries are WAY more likely to be mislabelled than new technology. The LED weren't totally mislabelled, they were white. But someone in China knew they were inferior products that would burn out fast. (And someone here must have figured that out too, they're no longer sold or stocked.)

Maybe they are Group31s that someone mislabelled as Group27. Maybe they're Group27 and someone accidentally put the Group31 specs on them. Either way--the odds are overwhelming that there is a discrepancy between what you describe, and what those batteries really are.

The fact that WalMart doesn't publish those spces on the web, and no one else (in a casual web search) has a battery with similar claims, just makes it harder to figure out what someone really sold you. The AVERAGE customer, with no Xantrex, no watt meter, etc., would never know if his batteries were performing to their rating or not.

If you've confirmed that you can actually cycle them to 115AH, that'd be just peachy. If not...that new battery technology will be taking over the world soon anyway.
Old 20-10-2008, 16:23   #57

Costco batteries don't send marine suppliers kids to college. Only difference when discussing the normal mass manufactured batteries commonly available.
Old 20-10-2008, 21:21   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Costco generally does not sell low end merchandise like you might find at Walmart. Its probably a pretty good bet that Costco batteries went through Costco's screening process so that they would not be selling junk. There is no guarantee that you wont get a garbage battery from Costco, like any manufacturer. There is just an increased probability of not getting a garbage battery from Costco based on their policy of not selling junk merchandise. Costco also has a no hassle return policy. I once returned something a year later...no problem.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 12:27   #59

Re: Costco Marine Batteries

I've just replaced my 2nd set of Costco deep cycle batts. Each lasted one year. They were never discharged to less than 40% or 12v. The good news is their refund policy. This time I went Interstate. We'll see.
Old 30-07-2012, 12:33   #60
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Costco Marine Batteries

mine from costco lasted one year and i got new free. we see if these last longer...so far is only since feb, 2012 for this set. these are the 6 v for golf carts.

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: