Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 18:46   #16

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Re: Converting a Ryobi 2000 Watt Generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmast View Post
When I needed auxcill to run hydraulics I chose a Kubota from dear harbour on Orcus island They put together a nice combo of DC gen ,watermaker and hydraulic pump for winch. Complete with fr and salt pumps Ht ex and well thought out. Liked it.

Yes, that maybe a solution can you send photos or a link where you got this build? Thanks
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 08:22   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

A serious threat of Co2 poisoning if you build in a home gen set into a boat. And your insurance company won't ever insure the boat or pay a claim if they find out. Big NO to do that.
Get a honda with the plastic case and build a rain cover over it.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 08:38   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Running the main engine at idle to charge isn't really damaging on a small scale. Running at high speed glazes the cylinders. Having an alternator that charges at low engine speed or pulleyed to charge at engine idle speed might be the best.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 09:12   #19

Criticism is sure to rain down on me....I needed to replace my 6.5k genset but the cost was way over the top. I have a sundeck behind my flybridge that covers my cockpit. I am installing a 9k surge watt home generator inside a quiet box on the sundeck. It consists of a inner box insulated with fire resistant insulation surrounded by a second heavily insulated box. 600 cfm of air is drawn through the inner box from (2) 4 inch intakes with electric fans and exhausted through dual,triple baffled exhausts that are also fan driven. a temperature sensor in installed inside both boxes with digital readouts mounted outside the box. A 30 amp twist plug is mounted outside the box. The generator is nearly silent when at full load and silent at idle. I am currently testing it in my garage before installing on boat. so far no heat issues at all and it is operating as planned. I have a CO2 monitor on my cockpit and in my salon. The plan is to use the generator for about 6 hours every 3 days to recharge my 1600 amp hours battery bank. Cost me around $500 to build and paid $779 for my WH7500e generator. I have no intention of ever using this generator for overnight use although it would support running my AC all night.
Bradlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 11:27   #20

Boat: Feltz Scorpion II

I had the same problem - did not want to install a generator inside the boat, but needed something better than the engine alternator to charge batteries and run power tools etc.

I bought a cheap 5Kw diesel genset (AEG), and installed it on my aft deck (Capella is a centre cockpit), on some rubber mounts bolted through the steel deck. A sturdy marine plywood box over the top, with access ports on top and 2 sides, and an exhaust port with a flexible exhaust hose. A Sunbrella cover and foam cushion tops it off nicely.

So, most of the time I have a nice seat on the aft deck, and when I need power I open the side port and start the motor. There is a thermometer in the box, so I can see how hot it gets - if it goes over 50 degrees C I open the front port halfway, to allow more air to flow through the box. The whole box lifts off if I want to do things to the genset (I can do most things, like check oil, refuel etc through the access ports)

It is not very quiet - I have considered insulating the box, but not sure if it will make a difference. It is a little louder than running my engine (which is very quiet), but I won't start the generator at 5am in a crowded anchorage. The noise level is OK to someone inside the boat. It is less irritating than my wind generator in 25 knots of wind (shrieks like a banshee), and produces a lot more power!

Hope this helps!

Regards
Michael
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 12:26   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Running the main engine at idle to charge isn't really damaging on a small scale. Running at high speed glazes the cylinders. Having an alternator that charges at low engine speed or pulleyed to charge at engine idle speed might be the best.
+1 on this option.

The stock alternator setup usually isn't great, but replacing it with a large frame, high output Balmar, Leece Neville or Delco Remy isn't hard

Right up to 300+ amps can be purchased remanufactured or even brand new for not much, just make sure you get one suited to an external regulator.

An experienced fitter will know how to get the alignment, pulley gauge and tensioning right, just let them know you want as many amps as possible available at "high idle" for your engine.

Combine with the Balmar MC-214 regulator, will cost as much as the alt, but gives you maximum control over the charging algorithms, custom voltage setpoints for different battery chemistries in future, giving HP back to propulsion when needed etc.

Yes a bit more wear and tear on the main engine, but if you go to a very fast Charge Acceptance chemistry bank later on, you'll be able to cut your engine charging runtime way down even with a very large bank, without sacrificing battery longevity.

And one less piece of equipment to house, maintain and replace.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 14:32   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
I need some helpful advice on generating power on cloudy, rainy weeks. For now, I run the main engine to recharge the batteries, which is not healthy for the engine as it is not under load.

Background;

Last four weeks my solar panels 420 Watts have not been up to the task of keeping my 500 amp AGM batteries topped up, as it has been overcast, with rain.

I have a perfectly good 2000 watt Ryobi Generator that I can't use in these weather conditions. (You can only use it on dry days on the deck) and there has not been any of these sunny days in the last four weeks.

Question; is there a way to change the nature of this generator from portable to fixed interior installation, for use in any weather, I know this would entail a way of removing the fumes? Or is there a weather proof box in which I could run it in all weather on deck?

I would like to avoid installing a marine generator if possible, If I'm not able to find a solution for adopting my Ryobi generator then in the worst case I may consider installing a small diesel say 10 hp to 15 hp to run high output alternators.

Any experienced insight on finding a solution would be most helpful, as I live and work on my boat full time.

Many Thanks for considering my request for a solution. Kryg.
How has your experience with the Ryobi been? I've been holding out for a Honda but considering the new lower price of the Ryobi I've been very tempted.
Ryobi 2,200-Watt Gray Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYI2200G - The Home Depot
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 18:00   #23

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

MANY THANKS, EVERYONE!!!

For your advice, and suggestions, you have no idea how long I have searched for the weather proof box for my Ryobi gen, there were none to be found that are high enough at 550 mm, All are at the height of about 450 mm max.

The biggest surprise was the dog house idea, I would have never thought of it without my post and this thread, this proved to be a good solution.
I found a suitable large dog house on gum tree that is made from heavy plastic it comes apart into two horizontal halves, and without the dog for $50.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 19:38   #24

Boat: GibSea 472

In my opinion, tranforming a portable generator into a fixed, under deck one, is not feasable for many reasons.
The most important one, is that it runs on gazoline, and this implies a forced ventilation system, a transformation of the carburator to marine specs, including a separate homologated fuel tank in replacement of the internal fuel tank.an total insolation from the living space, and many other modifications. Anyway, your insurer won't accept such non certified installation. Since this portable gen uses an internal fuel tank, just replacing it won't do: The exhaust sytem need to be seriously modified(redone!) to comply with the laws. Its a bad, expensive and impratical idea, in my opinion.
I think that some canvas protection from the elements, is the only way to go or a real diesel marine generator (costly!).
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 20:13   #25

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I love the dog house. And this could segway into a security thread by putting a electronic dog in there to bark every once in a while.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 22:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
How has your experience with the Ryobi been? I've been holding out for a Honda but considering the new lower price of the Ryobi I've been very tempted.
Ryobi 2,200-Watt Gray Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYI2200G - The Home Depot
We have the 1 Kva Ryobi, just over a year now. Still performing as new, but some of the screws are showing rust. Not loud, but a Honda is quieter.

What size charger do you have? Do you need 2Kva?
The 1 is much lighter and more compact. Would run a 50amp charger.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 23:43   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
+1 on this option.

The stock alternator setup usually isn't great, but replacing it with a large frame, high output Balmar, Leece Neville or Delco Remy isn't hard

Right up to 300+ amps can be purchased remanufactured or even brand new for not much, just make sure you get one suited to an external regulator.

An experienced fitter will know how to get the alignment, pulley gauge and tensioning right, just let them know you want as many amps as possible available at "high idle" for your engine.

Combine with the Balmar MC-214 regulator, will cost as much as the alt, but gives you maximum control over the charging algorithms, custom voltage setpoints for different battery chemistries in future, giving HP back to propulsion when needed etc.

Yes a bit more wear and tear on the main engine, but if you go to a very fast Charge Acceptance chemistry bank later on, you'll be able to cut your engine charging runtime way down even with a very large bank, without sacrificing battery longevity.

And one less piece of equipment to house, maintain and replace.
If you only need this capability in bad weather, to complement an otherwise adequate solar system, and a built-in diesel generator is too expensive, then this is absolutely what I would do. The upgraded alternator will bring lots of other benefits.

A dog house on deck - seriously? You have room on deck to drag around something like that? Did you think about windage? CO safety is yet another big question around such a solution.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 00:08   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A dog house on deck - seriously? You have room on deck to drag around something like that? Did you think about windage? CO safety is yet another big question around such a solution.
What are you talking about? windage? it's a temp solution to keep the rain off it while he's living aboard/moored, he's not sailing with the bloody thing! What CO problem?? hundreds of yachties have petrol generators and when used are usually placed aft somewhere to get rid of the exhaust, stick it the dog box with the entrance/exhaust facing aft no problem, it's not an enclosed space! or do you think he's going to try and crawl in with it?
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 02:10   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
What are you talking about? windage? it's a temp solution to keep the rain off it while he's living aboard/moored, he's not sailing with the bloody thing! What CO problem?? hundreds of yachties have petrol generators and when used are usually placed aft somewhere to get rid of the exhaust, stick it the dog box with the entrance/exhaust facing aft no problem, it's not an enclosed space! or do you think he's going to try and crawl in with it?
If he never sails, that's one thing. But what will he do with it when he gets under way?

"What CO problem"? Portable petrol powered generators are among the leading causes of deaths on boats. See: http://www.doubleangel.org/documents...il2008_000.pdf see also: Boaters warned about the dangers of portable generators - Practical Boat Owner

"The BSS says that if boaters want to use generators, these three basic bullet points should be followed: –

Never install a portable generator permanently or make unauthorised modifications that are not supported by the manufacturer, or proprietary component supplier.

"Never run generators on the boat, or on the bank near to the boat’s doors, vents, windows and hatches. If you can smell exhaust fumes in the boat, it could mean the cabin is also filling with deadly carbon monoxide.

'Never refuel any generator anywhere aboard the boat; take it to the bank and ensure you are a safe distance from other boats and potential sources of ignition."

I'm not saying the risk is unmanageable; I've used a portable generator on my own boat. But it's a significant risk which requires a bit of thought and trouble to manage. For example, you can't just run a portable generator on deck -- too easy for the exhaust to waft into the cabin. Smart cruisers run them on their swim platforms or even in their dinghies. And for sure, have CO detectors installed.
Old 24-03-2017, 02:18   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
That is my understanding also. And a big alternator -- especially a separate second alternator, geared to produce good power at low RPM, can load the engine up quite well at low speeds anyway, depending on the size of the engine of course.

On my boat, I have a heavy duty diesel generator which is so quiet that you can't hear it run outside the boat, and barely hear it inside.

I also have a Leece Neville school bus alternator on the main engine.

I wouldn't say that the school bus alternator is less useful, than the generator. A few years ago my generator was out of action for a while while I waited for a new heat exchanger, and I lived quite well charging with the main engine and school bus alternator. Living aboard on a mooring with no shore power.

Tags
generator