Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2016, 11:07   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Considering upgrading to a Victron Multiplus 2000 Compact

I have a Xantrex ProWatt SW2000 inverter and a ProMariner 30A charger. I'm considering upgrading to this Victron Multiplus Compact 2000.

After reading lots of stuff on the forum about the Victron, I wanted to ask one question just to see if maybe somebody has some first hand experience.

The Xantrex has a continuous rating of 1800W, peak of 3000W. The Victron has a continuous rating of 2000W and a peak of 4000W. I thought I read on a few posts that Victron doesn't quite live up to their spec sheet.

I have two devices that I'd like to be able to run off the inverter. My Brother laser printer, and my LG 8000 btu printer. I tested the laser printer today with a clamp on meter and it peaked at 23A on start, which I calculated is around 2300-2800W. I haven't tested the LG yet but I looked it up on the LG website and they rate it at 700W / 6.5A, not sure what the starting load is obviously.

I can run both off our Honda 2000. Anyhow, does anybody think I'd have issues running either of these (individually) off the new Victron? Is there a better combination charger/inverter out there?

Battery is a LiFePO4. We had a few situations where we had 100% batteries and were motoring somewhere, it would be nice to run the air conditioner if it's rigged.

autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 13:53   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Considering upgrading to a Victron Multiplus 2000 Compact

I have been researching the Victron 12v/2000w/80amp-120v charger/inverter myself. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I will within a month or two. Will be using it with a Honda 2000 as well

That 2000w continuous rating is for 25c/70f (or thereabouts). It drops to 1450w at 40c/105f. This may cause people's thoughts on it not living up to its claims...

As for your question, the 2300 start up current of the AC is well below the Victron's peak of 4000. What is the running draw from the AC? It should be well under 1400.

You'll enjoy the extra 50 amps of charging with those LiFePO4s. The Honda will be maxing out (to its continuous rating) to supply all 80 amps, but it should just do it.

As for alternatives, you can upgrade to the 3000w Victron for another $500 or so. You also have the Mastervolt Combi 2500w/100amp charger/inverter for about $1k more. Sterling also makes a charger/inverter priced about the same as the Victron, but it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles, such as PowerAsset, which I believe you'll find handy if your generator is the Honda 2000. All ought to be quality products.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 14:37   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

Wouldn't it be cheaper to replace the printers?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Wouldn't it be cheaper to replace the printers?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I prefer laser because I don't print often, but when I do print I don't want to find out the inkjet is dry.

Hoping somebody has one that has run one of these two devices on theirs without issue.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:51   #5

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

In Feb 2016, I bought on Amazon and installed an Aims Pure SineWave Inverter/Charger (3000W). Less than US$1000, including shipping to Grenada,West Indies. Very Happy with the unit so far. Had a Xantrex 2000 W unit, like this on better.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:27   #6

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlespeed View Post
In Feb 2016, I bought on Amazon and installed an Aims Pure SineWave Inverter/Charger (3000W). Less than US$1000, including shipping to Grenada,West Indies. Very Happy with the unit so far. Had a Xantrex 2000 W unit, like this on better.

Interesting unit, but unlikely to work with LiFePO4, where custom charging profiles are required.

Another concern is when using with a limited AC source like the Honda 2000. Does the inverter/charger automatically reduce the charging current if a house side AC load turns on to avoid overloading the generator? I suspect these simple inverter/chargers don't, which is why I keep coming back to the Victron. I have an uneducated feeling this function and the Power Assist function are related in the design of the device.

I have been thinking an option is a separate charger and inverter. This will get around the power sharing (as the Honda will only see the charger) and power assist (as you have an inverter sized to run everything you want), but then the price is the same as the Victron.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:27   #7

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Autumnbreeze 27-I don't have the Victron Energy Multiplus Compact 2000, but I have had two of the bigger versions (Multiplus 12V/3000W/120A inverter/chargers), and I have their 3600W isolation transformer. Their reputation is for high quality products. That was one of the factors I considered before buying my units. 5 years after virtually no use, my inverter/charger died one day, all I heard/saw was a low decibel crack, and a small puff of white smoke. I was alarmed. I contacted Victron and they weren't sympathetic at all. It turns out the unit I owned, while advertised as new when I purchased it wasn't really new at all. Victron serial numbers reveal the date of manufacture. My inverter/charger was already two years old when I purchased it, and Victron wouldn't have honored their warranty because of unit's age. I only used my inverter/charger a handful of times. I wish the product had an hours meter (or amphours meter) on it, and in my case, I believe the total amount of use would have been less than 10 hours use in 5 years (some of those years the unit hadn't even been installed, still others the boat was undergoing major work in boatyard). Needless to say, I lost the battle with Victron. If a Victron unit malfunctions you can ship the unit to Victron on your own dime for testing/analysis/troubleshooting. My inverter/charger is very heavy and shipping to Amsterdam would be quite expensive. Victron wanted another US$175 to even look at the unit before pricing a repair, assuming they could diagnose and repair it.

I did have trouble with a remote unit too. I happened to be in Amsterdam so I visited the factory. A Victron technician tested my remote (without charge) while I waited. That experience was very positive.

I bought a second Victron Multiplus inverter/charger after my first failed. I chose the newer version of the same model. I did so mainly because I had time constraints that prevented me from doing better, more in-depth research. If I had the chance to revisit that decision, I wouldn't choose an inverter/charger. I rarely ever use either, but I want to have a high amperage charger. A malfunction of the one unit cost me to lose the function of both the inverter and charger). I think having separate units is probably best. For chargers the ProNautic 1260p looks good to me and have been recommended by others. I don't have a recommendation for an inverter.

If you purchase a Victron product, verify the serial number and date of manufacture, and get the reseller/Victron to verify their warranty in writing.
Old 01-11-2016, 14:31   #8

Boat: J42

John Harries on MorgansCloud.com strongly recommends separate inverters and chargers. We have gone that way.
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 15:25   #9

I've got separates right now, and I'm not really happy with it. It seems like it makes more sense to me to have the inverter and charger in one box so it can handle the transfer switching too.

Not really happy with the inverter selection at most retail marine stores... they seem to have xantrex and some random chinese brand or two that I've never heard of.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:25   #10

For posterity,
The Victron is able to handle both our 8000btu window AC and our laser printer (not at the same time of course)
Old 08-12-2016, 16:08   #11

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

I am running a victron Quattro 8kva unit and have been delighted with the unit.

I used to strongly favor separate units for inverter and charger, however the ability of modern inverter / charger units to "support" the shore power or generator, managing the shore/generator input load to a desired level works very well.

I do have a Skylla - I 100a 24v charger which I use when shore power does not match what I need aboard.

One other issue with separates is if there are AC loads and shore power goes away it is important to ensure the inverter won't flatten the batteries with no charger input.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 17:17   #12

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution

We have a Victron Multiplus Compact 2000 fitted to our LifePO4 batteries and find it excellent. You have to remember that everything (240Volt in our case) passes through the inverter even when plugged into shore power. This works well on startup loads as it supplements from the batteries. The only catch is due to the smart switch setup I've had instances where when plugged into shore power and the shore power trips out at the dock point we don't know as it just starts drawing from the batteries. Fine normally but with the Aircon and Microwave and other stuff plugged in it can discharge the batteries fairly fast. Otherwise excellent bit of kit and the 80 amp charging is great when you get back to the dock. Easily configured for different charging profiles and the assistants also allow lots of extra features.

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 21:16   #13

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

[QUOTE=Dod42;2275937] The only catch is due to the smart switch setup I've had instances where when plugged into shore power and the shore power trips out at the dock point we don't know as it just starts drawing from the batteries. Fine normally but with the Aircon and Microwave and other stuff plugged in it can discharge the batteries fairly fast."

That's why it's worthwhile having the remote 'multicontrol' so you can readily switch to "charger only" when you cannot monitor shore power tripping.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:27   #14

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

[QUOTE=chris in SG;2276044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
The only catch is due to the smart switch setup I've had instances where when plugged into shore power and the shore power trips out at the dock point we don't know as it just starts drawing from the batteries. Fine normally but with the Aircon and Microwave and other stuff plugged in it can discharge the batteries fairly fast."

That's why it's worthwhile having the remote 'multicontrol' so you can readily switch to "charger only" when you cannot monitor shore power tripping.
Exactly what I have on my system, when I leave the boat I flip the switch over to "charger only", when I am aboard it is in "inverter/charger" mode.

It is also supposed to be possible (I have not done it yet) to have a battery discharge level when the inverter would shut down early for those cases.

I use a Quattro and all of the non-critical loads live on the circuit which is automatically turned off if the shore/generator power is not available leaving only the critical loads being supported by the inverter until shore power returns.

Ideally I will get the system configured like this for sitting at dock:
Shore/generator Power Available and larger than demand: Everything powered
Shore/generator Power Available and smaller than demand, batteries above 70%: Everything powered
Shore/generator power not available and batteries above 70%: Critical loads powered, non-critical (Air Conditioners, Hot Water Heater, etc) not powered
Shore/generator power not available and batteries below 70%: Inverter stops providing AC power until shore/generator power available or batteries get charged to above 70%

I have picked 70% here as just a number, well above the 50% where we like to cycle batteries down to, I would use 50% as the number when I am aboard and away from the dock (i.e. generator power only available)

I am also working on an automatic switch for the battery box blower (running on golf cart batteries) which starts the fan when the voltage is above the normal float voltage.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 15:41   #15

I'd like a way to turn the charger off and on without using the software.

When we go to the dock, I like to run the DC side off the solar and only charge up occasionally if there's shading issues (clouds). So far I gotta use the USB dongle, which is a PITA.

It would be nice if the dock power goes out and it kicks over to inverter, if an alarm would go off that would require clearing... that way you're aware.

It's kinda cool having our dock power "conditioned", but sometimes I wonder what it's going to cost us, since we pay for electricity.