Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019, 10:30   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 42F
connecting the house and engine battery with a switch to assist bow thruster

Hello,

My house battery bank is weak, but probably does not need to be exchanged yet. The only serious problem I am having now is that it is too weak to run the bow thruster. I have a well running generator so I feel can afford to have a weak house battery as I can recharge it when needed. The engine battery is good.

I am thinking of adding a switch that would allow to temporarily connect engine battery and house battery outputs (the way it is already done for the engine starter). This would be turned on only when bow thruster is needed and engine running thus limiting the risk of depleting the engine battery.

If this is not a completely bad ideas should I use a switch that makes a connection for both positive and negative wires such as this :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Or can I connect the black negative terminals permanently and put a switch connecting only red positives?
pskudlarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:09   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: connecting the house and engine battery with a switch to assist bow thruster

I would run the generator when using the bow thruster if the engine alternator is not charging the house bank. You do run the risk of dragging down your good battery and then having nothing.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:55   #3

Re: connecting the house and engine battery with a switch to assist bow thruster

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
I would run the generator when using the bow thruster if the engine alternator is not charging the house bank. You do run the risk of dragging down your good battery and then having nothing.
Tried it, was not enough. Generator helps via battery charger thus gives at most 40-60 amps. Does not help much with the sporadic demand of bow thruster.
Old 08-04-2019, 23:36   #4

fix the real problem. don't come up with band aids

is the voltage drop happening at the batteries themselves? (bad batteries) or at the thruster? (bad cables / connections)

the neg should already be perminatly connected. if you already have a parallel swtich for starting (which you stated) then you already have the swtich you want...

the bow thruster will certainly deplete the engine battery if you combine. as it will be more amps then your alternator.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
fix the real problem. don't come up with band aids

is the voltage drop happening at the batteries themselves? (bad batteries) or at the thruster? (bad cables / connections)

the neg should already be perminatly connected. if you already have a parallel swtich for starting (which you stated) then you already have the swtich you want...

the bow thruster will certainly deplete the engine battery if you combine. as it will be more amps then your alternator.
So is it OK to permanently connect negative poles of house and engine batteries? I was afraid that there may be a reason why they were not connected to begin with!

As for band aid, I pretty much know the problem is with the batteries, voltage drops on them, but am hesitant to dispose of them, not only for monetary but for environmental reasons as well
Old 09-04-2019, 04:37   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskudlarski View Post
My house battery bank is weak, but probably does not need to be exchanged yet. The only serious problem I am having now is that it is too weak to run the bow thruster. I have a well running generator so I feel can afford to have a weak house battery as I can recharge it when needed. The engine battery is good.

If your house battery bank ran your bow thruster properly before...

And if the genset/charger combination don't give you enough extra juice now...

My guess would be your assessment is incorrect and I suspect your house batteries have reached end-of-life. Maybe a long time ago.

Bringing your start battery into the equation just puts that at risk, too.

The new battery seller generally wants your old batteries in exchange...

-Chris

Tags
battery, engine