Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 09:42   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Connecting Charging Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Thats my view on the Adverc, and its half the price of the Balmar. To my mind, the alternator is not the main charge source.
Everyone I know or have communicated with on forums who have installed Adverc regulators loves them - I've never heard a single negative comment. I get a remarkably high state of charge in my batteries in a short period of time with it, which means even a bit of motoring at the beginning and end of a long sail leaves me with a good charge to start the evening with when the anchor goes down.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 12:08   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
There are conflicting opinions about this. Some say that this will cause a charge/discharge imbalance which will cause the world as we know it end.

Others say it works fine, especially if you use good, fat cables to connect them.

All I can say is that I have two banks which are 10 meters away from each other interconnected this way and they work fine. I regularly monitor charge imbalance and fine no measurable difference (and I'm using good instruments).

You will not only have more usable amps, but the bow thruster will burn less battery power because of reduced Peukert effect. Just make sure that the bow thruster batt is exactly the same make and model and exactly the same age as the rest.
Good to know, so thats something I can aim for, but will need to wait until present batteries are due for replacement, then I'll replace the lot with Trojan T105's

What size cable did you use for the long run?
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 00:17   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Am looking into Dockheads proposal concerning linking the house bank and bow thrust bank into one big bank, but leaving the batteries in their original locations.
At first, I was put off by the cost of the cable, here in the UK, 4/0 AWG is about $50 per meter. After some investigation, I found that 0 AWG is about $13, so could double the cables, have the same amount of copper and at half the price.
So, first question, what do the experts think on linking 2 banks which are about 30 feet apart. I will be replacing all the batteries at the same time for the same type (T105).

Second question, I currently have a battery charger with 3 outputs, and the alternator is connector to a zero loss 3 way splitter. Once the two battery banks are combined into one, should I just use two outputs from the charger, or, is it OK to leave a charge cable connected to the original house bank, and another to the original bow thrust bank.

Look forward to advise as always
Cheers
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging