Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 11:21   #1

Boat: Oyster 49
connecting battery charger to 240v on a US wired boat

My boat has a US 125/250v 50A shore power. I want to be able to connect to 240v 16A European shore power. My plan is buy a xantrex worldwide battery charger to keep my batteries charged, enabling me to run lights, the fridge/freezer and water pumps etc off my DC power system. To run the air conditioner and water heater I plan on using my gen set. For other 120v appliances I will use my 2000w inverter.

I plan on hard wiring a 16A European shore power cable into the battery charger. The cable will only supply the battery charger. My question is what protection should I have on the shore power cable - will a GFCI suffice or do I need an ELCI. Also, should I connect the ground on the 240v shore power cable to the galvanic isolator on my 125v main shore power system, or would I be better having a separate isolator. I only intend to use the 240v system when at non US wired marinas - it may be hooked up for several weeks at a time when I leave the boat at a marina - the main power drain will be for the fridge- freezer - probably around 8 to 10A on my 24v house system.
neilsty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, boat, charger