Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 15:13   #1

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Common Household Battery Chargers Powered by 12 volts

Hope that makes sense .

We use alot of throwaway AA and AAA batteries for small devices such as headlamps etc.
We would like to buy a charger and use rechargeable batteries.
We have an abundance of solar power and house battery storage.

We're looking for suggestions for a good 12 volt powered cigarette lighter type battery charger.

Do they exist?
If so, any recommendations?

Thanks
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 16:08   #2

Re: Common Household Battery Chargers Powered by 12 volts

The best way that I know of, and what I use, is an inverter. Then any and all small household battery chargers can be used.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 16:22   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I brought one a while ago. In my opinion it overcharged AAA and AA batteries to the point where they became useless.

In practice I've not found the need for it.

Cameras and phones mostly have their own dedicated batteries these days and with a bit of care can last a few weeks between charges.

I've still a few bits and pieces on the boat that need AAA batteries but one of those large packs of disposable AAA batteries gives me a years supply and only costs a few dollars, and the batteries are always fresh (As opposed to the rechargeable ones that seem to have self discharged whenever I need them.).

Many devices that take AA batteries also have a 12V plug. While makers delight in having a multitude of different plugs and wiring them is nerve wracking (to avoid that expensive "puffstt" sound) it is straightforward and reliable to plug into a 12V cigarette lighter output. I've wired a few of them into Boracay.

I've thrown away so many rechargeable AA and AAA batteries that I no longer buy them.

I've found the rechargeable "C" batteries to be much more reliable. They power my backup radio and last well. I've not experienced the need to recharge them "on the hoof". They are expensive but I believe they are worth the money.

I've also found that LED torches with "D" cell batteries seem to last forever. My latest toy is a 4 "D" cell 750 lumen torch and I've splashed out on 4 10,000 mAh batteries for it. We'll see how it goes.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 16:22   #4

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Are you carrying a computer on board? I carried a pair of these when I was backpacking around the world: Kikkerland US012 USB AA Battery Charger with 2 AA Batteries - Amazon.com

They charge from a USB, which was ideal for me as I didn't have to carry a transformer for my camera: just plug in my netbook to either 110 or 220, then charge the batteries. Now, I carry a USB battery sailing (boat doesn't have electricity) that can charge cell phones and these. If you have a stereo system on board and it has a USB charger (probably will if it's a newer model), that will also work. If you don't have an inverter, and your sailing trips are of relatively short duration, these might be worth looking into.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 16:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
They charge from a USB, which was ideal for me as I didn't have to carry a transformer for my camera:
That is pretty cool. Easy to install a USB directly into your 12v system too. Blue Sea makes them or you can buy a 12v plug to USB converter at any gas station.

When I was backpacking Asia I brought one of these: Amazon.com: Solar 11-in-1 Battery Charger: Camera & Photo

Easily provided all my battery needs. Works great and simple to use.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:09   #6

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft

You can find batteries and chargers of all kinds at (All-Battery.com) <info@all-battery.com>. I used some of the AA's good for anything but a camera only 1.2 volts per cell.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:28   #7

Boat: csy 37

i tried using rechargeable AA's in my garmin handheld gps instead of duracell alkalines. my experience is that the rechargeables don't last as long. but since you can recharge them the overall expense is probably lower. but i only use maybe a dozen or so AA's all year, so it's not worth the trouble to recharge; just watch for sales on alkalines...

D cells are another matter. for reasons i don't wish to discuss - but it involves my fear of doing anything that involves actual work - i have a battery powered fan in the fridge. two duracell alkaline D's will last about 3 weeks. two rechargeable D's last about one week. so for that application i'm recharging D cells....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:31   #8

I have this one
MH-C204FA - Maha Energy

Actually an older version of it.

Get Enloop batteries. They charge great, no issues, no fuss, always have charged batteries in things that need them. No environmental issues, and you don't have to try to find usable batteries outside of the 1st world.

Guy
:-)
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 18:10   #9

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

All the professional wedding photographers use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable

Amazon.com: NEW Sanyo Eneloop 3rd generation 8 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries-Newest version-FREE BATTERY HOLDER- Rechargeable 1800 times: Electronics

You need a smart charger too like this one. It has a discharge cycle to rejuvenate the battery.
Amazon.com: Hitech iC-808UL-LCD 8 Bank Smart Quick Charger/ Discharger with LCD Display for AA, AAA Batteries: Electronics

The ones I bought 5 years ago are still working great. I use for electronic flash, flash light, headlamp, SPOT gps, and etc. It really reduces the trash and good for the environment.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
All the professional wedding photographers use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable

Amazon.com: NEW Sanyo Eneloop 3rd generation 8 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries-Newest version-FREE BATTERY HOLDER- Rechargeable 1800 times: Electronics

You need a smart charger too like this one. It has a discharge cycle to rejuvenate the battery.
Amazon.com: Hitech iC-808UL-LCD 8 Bank Smart Quick Charger/ Discharger with LCD Display for AA, AAA Batteries: Electronics

The ones I bought 5 years ago are still working great. I use for electronic flash, flash light, headlamp, SPOT gps, and etc. It really reduces the trash and good for the environment.
Rockdawg,
Awesome thanks, the product looks great and the reviews are astonishing.
Thanks.
Old 03-12-2013, 19:31   #11

Boat: Spirit 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
All the professional wedding photographers use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable Amazon.com: NEW Sanyo Eneloop 3rd generation 8 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries-Newest version-FREE BATTERY HOLDER- Rechargeable 1800 times: Electronics You need a smart charger too like this one. It has a discharge cycle to rejuvenate the battery. Amazon.com: Hitech iC-808UL-LCD 8 Bank Smart Quick Charger/ Discharger with LCD Display for AA, AAA Batteries: Electronics The ones I bought 5 years ago are still working great. I use for electronic flash, flash light, headlamp, SPOT gps, and etc. It really reduces the trash and good for the environment.
To circle back to the OP question, you can power this charger with a small, inexpensive inverter that plugs into a 12 volt outlet.
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:46   #12

Boat: islandpacket
I bought an energizer for my aa & aaa rechargable batteries plugs into my 12 volt lighter plug also came with a house hold plug. Works great. Just take the batteries out when recharged. Dont let them sit in the charger.
Old 03-12-2013, 20:02   #13

Different types of AA batteries (Ni-cad, Ni Metal Hydride, etc) often need different chargers.

Most inverters are PWM type devices. So are many battery chargers. Some combinations of PWM devices pair well, others don't. It usually depends on their carrier frequencies. When running a AA battery charger off of an inverter, you are kind of rolling the dice. If it charges at a different rate on the inverter than it does when you plug it into a regular wall socket in your house, then you probably have a bad combination. The same goes for cell phone chargers.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42   #14

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
To circle back to the OP question, you can power this charger with a small, inexpensive inverter that plugs into a 12 volt outlet.
Rusty, the charger that I mentioned does come with the 12 volt DC plug and 110v AC adapter. There is no need to have an inverter.

For those who do not familiar with Sanyo Eneloop battery, they are by far the best battery to hold its charge.

Have fun.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55   #15

Rockdawg,
Batteries, more great advice thanks.
Yes, I had to dig deep into the link to be certain it came with 12 volt.
Also, I would not want to buy one without the 12 volt option, using an inverter is much too inefficient.
I will likely be ordering your recommendations.
Cheers
endoftheroad

Tags
battery, charger