Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2017, 09:51   #1

Boat: Pearson 39-2
Combination masthead (steaming)/deck lights

Mast is down for the winter and I'm taking care of everything at once. I'm replacing all mast lights and wiring, but having a hard time figuring out the masthead/steaming light. I want to use something like the Aquasignal 25404-7, Forespar ML-2, or marinebeam versions. I want an LED light since I don't want to worry about maintaining it in the future. There are a lot of negative comments on these light fixtures on every site that has user ratings - seems like they are primarily related to durability, so that is a concern for me as I don't want to be working on this light later.

Anybody have enough experience with these to point me in the right direction?
SSAsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 10:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Combination masthead (steaming)/deck lights

I installed a marine beam a few weeks ago. Bulb seemed ok, tri/anchor/strobe combo but light fixture was poor quality. I think would be ok in a Hella fitting.

I attempted to leave a 3 star Google review which wasn't approved by them! Some process!
Old 31-12-2017, 10:30   #3

Boat: Boatless

My Orca Green LED tricolor has worked flawlessly for 9 years and 45,000 blue water miles.

https://orcagreenmarine.com/recreati...uve_got_power/

Expensive but that is why they last!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 10:30   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive had an AquaSignal unit in place for 17 years...no problems w fixture or bulbs. Old incandecent deck light bulb is original. Thought about changing to LED, but we dont use it much so no big advantage. Left it as is.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 10:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

I installed the Aquasignal 25. Switched out the bulbs for LED’s (Dr LED). 3 wires 14AWG. Common ground. Other two wires one each is hot to the light. 2 switches. Gives you Steaming light. Or Fore deck light.
No cover on the foredeck light means water does not accumulate in the fixture. Bulb is exposed. Use a spray on the contacts to reduce the eventual corrosion.

They are not maintenance free. You will need to check them yearly.

Like the results on my rig.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 14:26   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’ve had the Marine beam fixture for a few years with no issues.
However don’t bother with an LED steaming light to save power as of course if your engine is running the alternator is producing power.
I’ve had very good luck with Marine Beam complete lights, I have not done any just replacing the bulbs, I have only replaced the whole fixture as I want a completely sealed unit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 15:23   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
My Orca Green LED tricolor has worked flawlessly for 9 years and 45,000 blue water miles.

I had a lot of RF issues with the Orca Green masthead light I had on my previous boat.
Old 31-12-2017, 16:53   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Let's be clear, I think you're looking for a masthead combination steaming/deck light, not a masthead tricolor light. Is that correct?

In my experience it's true that the Forespar type lights, with the plastic flaps, are not the greatest. The problem is that there are not a lot of alternatives out there for the steaming/deck combination.

I have an old cast metal fixture that I've refurbed the internals on. You might be able to do the same with yours, and convert it, if it's in good shape and has a durable housing.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:29   #9

Boat: Pearson 39-2

Suijin-
Yes, I am looking at a combination steaming/deck light, not a tricolor light that actually goes on the masthead. Right now there is no deck light, but its easy for me to install a new fitting and run new cables at this location. The old steaming light is corroded and the gaskets are totally shot. Adding a deck light seems like a nice feature and it would be so convenient to add this way, otherwise I don't really want to add spreader lights, etc.

a64pilot - can you say which marinebeam combo unit you installed? They now sell two. If I do this, I definitely want the sealed unit. My primary focus with all lights is minimizing maintenance, so a sealed LED unit is really obvious. But another concern I have is that a flimsy unit could be damaged easily by the genoa. Anybody have a comment on the overall integrity of the unit?
SSAsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:59   #10

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

I installed a "Victory" or "AAA" brand masthead/deck light 4 years ago.
2 years in fresh water then two years in salt including some rough offshore passages and lots of Caribbean sun.

I installed it with a plug and machine screws into inserts on the mast so it would be easily replaceable, but it has been fine.

I liked that it uses a standard MR16-12 bulb for the deck light, so I could change the wattage/lumens if I wanted. The deck light is like very bright (full)moonlight, which is just right for me.

You can't beat the price, less than half of other (non LED) competition.

NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:30   #11

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post

Mine has, as well, but the post was about combination steaming and foredeck lights.

The one I used is wonderful, and was a plug-and-play for the prior one I had on our Morgan 461.

My apologies for not knowing the actual name/model but I'm off the boat at the moment. The original was whatever is the most common light fixture, and the relatively smaller version. The foredeck light is brilliant and does a fantastic job of lighting the deck. Despite my having spreader lights (common switch), it is far brighter than the spreader lights...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:25   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Let's be clear, I think you're looking for a masthead combination steaming/deck light, not a masthead tricolor light. Is that correct?

In my experience it's true that the Forespar type lights, with the plastic flaps, are not the greatest. The problem is that there are not a lot of alternatives out there for the steaming/deck combination.

I have an old cast metal fixture that I've refurbed the internals on. You might be able to do the same with yours, and convert it, if it's in good shape and has a durable housing.
That's what I did. It's a pair of cast-aluminum fixtures with alu-framed, glass "lids" held on a pin with a small thumbscrew. I rehabbed them with a new run of wire and LEDs. They are dim, but I like dim for deck work as I can wreck my night vision with a headlamp if needed and I can choose not to do so if I just want general illumination. I don't understand the deck lights of stadium-grade candlepower because of their draw and their affect on obliterating night vision.

You can make our deck lights (not on here) in this photo. All the lights (I was testing all of them at dock) are now LEDs:
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:36   #13

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Minor thread drift ... 28 foot sailboat - If I have red & green port & starboard, can I use just an all around white on top of my mast?
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:00   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Combination masthead (steaming)/deck lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAsailor View Post

a64pilot - can you say which marinebeam combo unit you installed? They now sell two. If I do this, I definitely want the sealed unit. My primary focus with all lights is minimizing maintenance, so a sealed LED unit is really obvious. But another concern I have is that a flimsy unit could be damaged easily by the genoa. Anybody have a comment on the overall integrity of the unit?

This one
http://store.marinebeam.com/led-mast...ination-light/

You may want to call them and ask, they seem to be helpful and knowledgeable on what they sell. All my interior lights are Marine Beam as well, not cheap, but I tried cheap and decided you get what you pay for as there was always an issue, when I thought I had found a good cheap LED, it emitted a lot of RF.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:18   #15

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

FWIW, while I believe that the one I had is similar to the economy one shown when you connect to the link, the lamps were not replaceable; both were sealed units, which prevents the corrosion which plagued, despite all my efforts at prevention, our prior unit...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, head, mast