Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2012, 10:31   #1

Clear Solar Polymer

This looks VERY promising!

UCLA researchers create highly transparent solar cells for windows that generate electricity / UCLA Newsroom
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 17:40   #2

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Re: Clear Solar Polymer

Way cool! I wonder if they will be strong enough to replace the windows in the pilothouse on my Nauticat motorsailer?

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 21-07-2012, 21:11   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

No mention of it's power which leads me to believe it's not much. Interesting concept which could lead to greater things years from now.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 10:51   #4

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
Hello

That is a great development !! Truly amazing.

The only worry I have is that it will be similar to Amorphous Silicon cells... The thinner or light weight you have it, the lower the actual output of current and voltage.

Would be great if they could also improve the output of a mono crystalline or poly crystalline cell to make more power with a smaller footprint !

I am always impressed and happy that this research and development continues to move the energy generation away from fossil fuels !!!

Thank you very much for sharing this !!!

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 04:36   #5

Boat: Tom Thumb 26

Your sails will be your solar panels!
nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 05:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
Your sails will be your solar panels!
Since I've been using an electric propulsion system instead of a diesel for five years now I certainly hope so. But, there is a lot of green snake oil being sold these days. Promising, exciting press releases that disappear. I always hope but, remain skeptical that we will ever see some of these products come onto the market.
Old 28-07-2012, 08:04   #7

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY

Hello,

What is the AH of your bank you need to maintain the power for your propulsion system. I am very curious about this.

I have seen the different electric propulsion that Mastervolt had on display at the last boat show I was at... but I have a better respect for real world specs then the laboratory testing specs !

Thanks,

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 14:52   #8

Alan:

My battery bank 210 amps at 48 volts. The amp hours used depend on how much and how fast I motor. Often I just use the EP to get off the mooring to clear the other boats before I raise sail. Sometimes when I am sailing back in and the current has turned against me I'll power up to punch through against it. Some days I might only use a few AH other days it might be 25 or more. I also have a Honda 2000 generator that can push my 30 foot sailboat at 3 knots without drawing any amps from the battery bank and uses just 900 watts to do it. I've operated up to 10 hours using it in this hybrid mode. Having solar panels and a wind generator adding to the mix also helps. Which is why I hope they do come up with solar panels built into the sails. I might never have to fire up the Honda ever again.
Old 28-07-2012, 15:13   #9

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Alan:

My battery bank 210 amps at 48 volts. The amp hours used depend on how much and how fast I motor. Often I just use the EP to get off the mooring to clear the other boats before I raise sail. Sometimes when I am sailing back in and the current has turned against me I'll power up to punch through against it. Some days I might only use a few AH other days it might be 25 or more. I also have a Honda 2000 generator that can push my 30 foot sailboat at 3 knots without drawing any amps from the battery bank and uses just 900 watts to do it. I've operated up to 10 hours using it in this hybrid mode. Having solar panels and a wind generator adding to the mix also helps. Which is why I hope they do come up with solar panels built into the sails. I might never have to fire up the Honda ever again.
If'n'when they do come out with "solar sails", they will be so expensive for the first x years, it probably ain't in the old man's future. The transparent cell they tested in the article had a "4% efficiency." What is the efficiency of my 210 watt evergreen panels? Anyone know? I would love to have a mostly silent electric propulsion system, powered by solar and wind and, when some genius gets it done, a kinetic generator that translated boat motion into electricity.

I've been hearing about retrofitting big buildings with solar windows for years. I wonder what the hold up is? A solar architect buddy of mine told me 6 or 7 years ago it was near, citing 70% of national energy waste came from the big buildings. Seems the way to go would be to require all new mega construction to design in 50% or more energy self-sufficiency bia solar, and that for sure would speed up development of all sorts of solar innovation.
Old 28-07-2012, 15:46   #10

Every ten years or so there's some amazing new solar technology just around the future that will supposedly revolutionize everything. The only major change has been more folks building panels so the prices have dropped a bunch.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polymer, solar