Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2010, 00:03   #1

Boat: 1986 aloa 27 - KAVALA
Cleaning Terminals

good day all
after experiencing a voltage drop at the compressor of my fridge,and as suggested by some of you in this forum,
I am about to clean all teminals, crimps , connections between my fridge compressor and the swich panel
my question is :
would WD40 do the job or should I use some acetone / thinner on a swab
any suggestions welcome
cheers
Old 19-06-2010, 00:25   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
WD40 is not ideal but it really depends on what else you can get in your area. CRC electrical contact cleaner would be better but "DeoxIT" by Caig is superior (by far).

The acetone may damage the insulation, I would carefully try it out be splashing it around too much.

Abrasive cleaning works well, suggest a fibreglass bristle bush, a brass bristle bush or even a steel bristle brush and wash off with the WD40 if you can't source the CRC or Caig products in you area.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 00:31   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Piece of emery paper (don't use sand paper or Adjou will have kittens) so they are nice and shinney. Thin smear of petroleum jelly over the top to keep the damp out.

If that doesn't solve it, run a second heavy duty cable from battery to fridge as a temporary measure to see what happens. The first time we used our Waeco on the yacht it wouldn't work on the higher setting and just cut out. Wiring was to thin. Went completely over the top and re-wired with heavy duty stuff and it solved the problem, well sort of it, it then froze me sandwiches

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote