Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2016, 13:25   #1

Choosing an Inverter

Hi sailors,

I'm headed to the Abacos for the summer, but my girlfriend and I will have to work from the boat as we cruise.

I need to charge a MacBook Pro and a cell phone, so I need an inverter to switch from 12v. Any suggestions for solid inverters?

Thanks so much?

Old 19-03-2016, 13:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Choosing an Inverter

If that is all you need an inverter for, it's best to get 12VDC chargers like what is used in a car.
Reason is you lose a little efficiency going from DC to AC then back to DC, which is what happens when you run a plug in the wall charger off of an inverter.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 19-03-2016, 14:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Waeco makes a tiny one excellent for laptops.

You can also have a 12V to (... laptop voltage) charger - they are nice to have but we found them pretty prone to damage. They are also more expensive than going the DC/AC/DC way.

b.
Old 19-03-2016, 14:36   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I bought a little 300W one at Walmart for next to nothing, seemed to work fine, I'm sure it is not a pure sine, but charges phones etc. well.
I don't use it now, it's in spares.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-03-2016, 14:43   #5
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcambon View Post
Hi sailors,

I'm headed to the Abacos for the summer, but my girlfriend and I will have to work from the boat as we cruise.

I need to charge a MacBook Pro and a cell phone, so I need an inverter to switch from 12v. Any suggestions for solid inverters?

Thanks so much?
You can buy any number of cell phone chargers that plug into a cigarette lighter type socket. I'm surprised the phone didn't come with one.

For the computer, I would see if the manufacturer offers a "car" charger. If not' read the label on the power supply and buy an inverter that will handle slightly more than the charger requires.

For small inverters, you can buy ones that simply plug in or you can buy ones that have to be hard wired. These require some knowledge of marine electrical practices.
Old 19-03-2016, 14:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

What else might you need an inverter for? You may wish to consider calculating your total load. What size boat is this and what else might you need one for? What is your battery capacity? If it is only for a cell phone or laptop, the above comments make sense, but perhaps you will consider a heavier, higher output device. A coffee maker or microwave usually need about 1000 watts. The big thing will be staying cool in the summer but an inverter will not likely help there. My only experience with them dictates NOT to buy a Kisae. We installed one and it failed. We installed a second and it failed. So each time was a challenge but West Marine took both and sent them back. Now I got a Magnum and it is working fine.
Old 19-03-2016, 14:49   #7

... for the MacBook Pro a search on amazon.com for "macbook pro 12V charger" will get you started. Have a look if your Mac uses a MagSafe or MagSafe 2 (16.5V) connector.

Regards,

Carsten

Tags
inverter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: