Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 16:41   #46
Registered User
 
Hoohaa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney Aus
Boat: Swarbrick 40
Posts: 518
Images: 10
Re: Cheap Wind Generator - Anybody Tried One ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringWater View Post
Hoohaa,
If the batteries are full with a small load on them then that would be normal operation. If not I'd need to know what the voltage profile during the time of the cycle is like to make a suggestion. Did you fiddle with any of the regulator settings?
Email back if you'd like a faster more direct response, sales@transmarinestore.com. I'm not always checking the forum...
How do I get a battery profile? What will I need to buy?
__________________

__________________
Drinking hot tea on a hot day is like banging your head against a wall . It feels good when you stop.... "Terry" my dad.
Hoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 17:05   #47
Registered User
 
Hoohaa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney Aus
Boat: Swarbrick 40
Posts: 518
Images: 10
Re: Cheap Wind Generator - Anybody Tried One ?

Just a thought, I have 2 house batteries and 1 starting battery which is on full charge. Both systems can run independently of each other. We left the fridge running last night, so the house batteries should be low.
I will see if the unit is running correctly when I get on board by using the run down house bank. Hopefully it is, then I can flick it across to the fully charged starter and see what she is doing?
Also, i will pick up an Amp meter to install in the system. Any suggestions?

Regards

Jeff
__________________

__________________
Drinking hot tea on a hot day is like banging your head against a wall . It feels good when you stop.... "Terry" my dad.
Hoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 18:39   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Boat: Columbia 41
Posts: 522
Re: Cheap Wind Generator - Anybody Tried One ?

I bought a Windmax generator. The cost for the unit was about $900 on Amazon. But, frankly speaking, the final installed cost was about $600 more. I bought an 8 foot long 2" diameter threaded stainless steel pole on ebay. Also a stainless flange to mount the pole to deck. And then there were two stainless steel 1" props with deck hardware from Defender. And a small charge for welding. The final installed item looks good and works okay. It is more for off shore where there is more wind. Here at the marina in Washington DC I have to rely on shore power.
__________________
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:25   #49
Registered User
 
Hoohaa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney Aus
Boat: Swarbrick 40
Posts: 518
Images: 10
Re: Cheap Wind Generator - Anybody Tried One ?

OK. I bought an Amp meter and it is as I suspected. She is cutting out whenever the wind picks up, she will run for a very short time, pumping out a max 3 amps and the switch is flicked and zero.
I have located the "diversion load regulator" & it is the cause of my little problem. The green light is on as the wind and amps build up & then it changes to red.
Green is charge.
Red is Divert.
Now. There is a very tantalising dial built into the unit which I am finding very hard to resist turning in a clockwise direction. Towards the + sign.
Can I give it a go? can I?

Forgot to mention that this is accurring on a depleted battery with the fridge running. Battery is currently at 11.6 volts.
__________________
Drinking hot tea on a hot day is like banging your head against a wall . It feels good when you stop.... "Terry" my dad.
Hoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:40   #50
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Cheap Wind Generator - Anybody Tried One ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
OK. I bought an Amp meter and it is as I suspected. She is cutting out whenever the wind picks up, she will run for a very short time, pumping out a max 3 amps and the switch is flicked and zero.
I have located the "diversion load regulator" & it is the cause of my little problem. The green light is on as the wind and amps build up & then it changes to red.
Green is charge.
Red is Divert.
Now. There is a very tantalising dial built into the unit which I am finding very hard to resist turning in a clockwise direction. Towards the + sign.
Can I give it a go? can I?

Forgot to mention that this is accurring on a depleted battery with the fridge running. Battery is currently at 11.6 volts.
sounds like you found the problem! the load diverter must be at its lowest setting.
sounds like you need to turn the dial up till the batteries are charged.

the load diverter is there so that the wind genny does not over rev,by keeping a constant load on it even when trickle charging at its lowest setting,as it is now.
turning the dial should increase the amount of amps available to charge the batteries before it regulates itself,by switching to the dump load.

some good info on this site,worth a read!

http://www.colemanair.us/vp_asp/Scri...AndBeyond4.htm
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:58   #51
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: Cheap Wind Generator - Anybody Tried One ?

Not sure about your unit, but my Air X has a 3 way switch.
Free spinning, brake and normal generating mode.
It will brake in the brake mode (circuit open)
or if the wind is over 30k
or if the batteries are charged to the set voltage (13.5v)
The voltage set point is adjustable by the potentiometer screw on the unit.
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:59   #52
Registered User
 
Hoohaa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney Aus
Boat: Swarbrick 40
Posts: 518
Images: 10
Re: Cheap Wind Generator - Anybody Tried One ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
sounds like you found the problem! the load diverter must be at its lowest setting.
sounds like you need to turn the dial up till the batteries are charged.

the load diverter is there so that the wind genny does not over rev,by keeping a constant load on it even when trickle charging at its lowest setting,as it is now.
turning the dial should increase the amount of amps available to charge the batteries before it regulates itself,by switching to the dump load.
Thanks Atoll.
I couldn't resist, turned the dial & presto, amps are up and its not cutting out anywhere like it was before.
So the next question is what should be the best setting. But the other question I have is. If this regulates using the speed of the blades. Will it also divert the load when the batteries are full. ie. perform a duel function?
__________________
Drinking hot tea on a hot day is like banging your head against a wall . It feels good when you stop.... "Terry" my dad.
Hoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:09   #53
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Cheap Wind Generator - Anybody Tried One ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Thanks Atoll.
I couldn't resist, turned the dial & presto, amps are up and its not cutting out anywhere like it was before.
So the next question is what should be the best setting. But the other question I have is. If this regulates using the speed of the blades. Will it also divert the load when the batteries are full. ie. perform a duel function?
it should still regulate correctly using voltage to sense the cut out point,all the load dump is doing is reducing the output of the wind gen ie instaed of it being a 20amp charger at the higher setting it becomes a trickle charger putting out a max of 3 amps at the lower setting.

my advice is once the batteries are charged up, set it to match your outgoing house load, ie fridge+lights+stereo @6amp hours,so set it to regulate at about 8 amps output.

the coleman site has lots of good info on balancing your diffferent sources of charging,ie solar+wind etc

read up here!

Wind/Solar Hookup Basics and Beyond - Page2
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 23:37   #54
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: St-Barthelemy Island, French West Indies
Boat: Ericson 34
Posts: 325
Images: 1
Re: Cheap wind generator, anybody tried one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I owned an Air-X (marine) unit. Be surprised because they made all their own stuff.
Hi ! 8 months later... How's your "Made in China" wind generator doing ? Still spinning ? Still giving you its nominal output ? Thanks
__________________
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 16:30   #55
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Boat: Columbia 41
Posts: 522
Re: Cheap Wind Generator - Anybody Tried One ?

After 6 months my Windmax generator works fine. It came with a regulator that can also manage a solar panel. The only issue I have is the Windmax keeps turning itself off when the wind blows over 20mph. I hear it cycling and it keeps me awake. So, I secure the blades with a bit of line to stop the spin.
__________________
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 22:30   #56
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: St-Barthelemy Island, French West Indies
Boat: Ericson 34
Posts: 325
Images: 1
Re: Cheap Wind Generator - Anybody Tried One ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
After 6 months my Windmax generator works fine. It came with a regulator that can also manage a solar panel. The only issue I have is the Windmax keeps turning itself off when the wind blows over 20mph. I hear it cycling and it keeps me awake. So, I secure the blades with a bit of line to stop the spin.
Overall, your cost is not that far from US made Southwest Windpower AIR BREEZE MARINE wind turbine http://www.windenergy.com/products/air/air-breeze that won the Yachting Monthly comparison test & Southwest offers now an extended warranty...
__________________

__________________
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheap, generator, wind generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahe 36: Rig and Sails kev&jo Fountaine Pajot 368 26-11-2017 11:06
High Outpur Alternator vs Wind Generator Strygaldwir Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 90 15-10-2011 12:02
Cheap Charge Controller - Wind and Solar, Two or Three Outputs ? GaryBmth Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 10 05-10-2011 06:02
Cairns to Perth Part 1 Bartlettsrise Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 1 11-09-2011 00:38
For Sale: Raymarine ST60 Wind System clsailor Classifieds Archive 0 30-06-2011 04:42



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.