Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-02-2010, 06:22   #1

Cheap Inverters ?

Has anyone heard of, or have installed, a SUNFORCE pure sine wave inverter?

I ask because their pure, or true, sine wave inverters, as opposed to modified sine wave inverters, are priced extremely low! For example, their SUNFORCE Pro Series 11240, a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter, is priced at Amazon.com for $275 and $269 at Home Depot. Other similar pure sine wave inverters such as Xantrex, normally run in price far higher, a thousand bucks and up usually.

I know the old adage, "if it's too good to be true, it usually isn't" but this outfit looks legit, and they are marketed through reputable sources. So I am looking for opinions here. Has anyone bought a SUNFORCE inverter, or have any experience with this company's products?

Old 07-02-2010, 06:59   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
These units are not rated for marine use and will pose some safety hazards, mainly in the neutral ground connection switching. Also they are inverters only no charging like the others. What ever you get get one approved for marine use there is a difference and an inverter can kill you just like shore power can.

Fair Winds

sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:33   #3
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
inverter

Just replaced a trace 1.5 with a xantrex 1800 inverter/charger nice unit alot smaller and less complicated. was $550. I believe the smaller xantrex 1000 inv/chg was $300 something with port supply. well proven company in the marine environment.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:39   #4

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I do not agree that other Inverter run much higher I have a 1800 watt Xantrex that cost $325. you need to shop around.

Dutch
Old 07-02-2010, 07:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnar View Post
I do not agree that other Inverter run much higher I have a 1800 watt Xantrex that cost $325. you need to shop around.

Dutch
I am not a big fan of xantrex products, their customer service in lacking but.. I do have a xantrex inverter 1800 watt that has worked well for the past three years. I payed a little extra a WM and bought the life time warrenty
Old 07-02-2010, 08:55   #6

I do not like the newer charger/inverter combo, I wanted to add another inverter and when I went looking I could only find the inverter on ebay.

Myself I think the true chargers are junk and very costley. Right now I have a WM smart charge that I am also not happy with but have just been working on other things before I move onto that.

Dutch
Old 07-02-2010, 09:53   #7

Quote:

Dutch
Yes a Xantrex HF 1800 is $619, and the HF 1000 is $449 at West marine, but both are the "modified sine wave" not a "pure/true sine wave" inverter. There is a huge difference here. Modified sine wave inverters are a dime a dozen, so to speak!

As far as marine type or not, in my opinion I would agree that the cheap true wave inverter I am asking about in my initial post is most likely non-marine, meaning it is not a sealed spark-proof unit, but because I do not have a gasoline engine, or store gasoline aboard, I'm willing to overlook this issue.

Also, I am not wanting a charger/inverter unit, just an inverter.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:49   #8

for the price I would try it. Did you happen to see the Air X wind generators homedepot has? 400 watt for $585

Dutch
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35   #9

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
We have a "non-marine" inverter, 600 watts pure sine wavw, that works fine on our boat.
Always been a fan of "find it cheaper"
Old 07-02-2010, 16:52   #10

Quote:
for the price I would try it. Did you happen to see the Air X wind generators homedepot has? 400 watt for $585

Dutch
I had an Air-X on my boat for 2 years and found it to be completely useless, I was sorry I ever bought it, ($1200 with stand) as they are in my opinion falsely over rated! I sold it last summer, and then I bought another 135 watt solar panel.
Old 10-03-2010, 19:58   #11

Boat: 41' Colvin Gaff-rigged Schooner
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik
Agree with negative comments on Air-X 400. My brother bought one for his off-grid house, to supplement solar. After the expense and hassle of erecting the tower, then cutting down some beautiful old oak and maple trees to arrange for clear air, he still gets almost nothing from the beast unless the wind is blowing like stink! In this case, you do indeed "get what you pay for."
Old 10-03-2010, 20:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnitfar View Post
Has anyone heard of, or have installed, a SUNFORCE pure sine wave inverter?

I ask because their pure, or true, sine wave inverters, as opposed to modified sine wave inverters, are priced extremely low! For example, their SUNFORCE Pro Series 11240, a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter, is priced at Amazon.com for $275 and $269 at Home Depot. Other similar pure sine wave inverters such as Xantrex, normally run in price far higher, a thousand bucks and up usually.

I know the old adage, "if it's too good to be true, it usually isn't" but this outfit looks legit, and they are marketed through reputable sources. So I am looking for opinions here. Has anyone bought a SUNFORCE inverter, or have any experience with this company's products?
Xantrex PROwatt SW 1000 $233.26 (LINK)

This is a 1000 watt pure sine inverter rated for marine use and has a two year warranty. I have purchased a number of items from manventureoutpost.com and they have been good to deal with, though they do not have phone support, but do have excellent prices and relatively quick shipping.

Re: Xantrex customer service:

I had a long conversation with Marianna, the new head of customer service, about two weeks ago. They are fully aware of their reputation in the marine community and they are actively addressing this.

I gave her several real examples where they could have done better for my own situation and she was very appreciative of our conversation and was taking notes the whole time.

It may not change overnight but they are well aware of the issue and are trying to make it better. I got through to tech support in under 30 seconds the last time I called. Last year it took me over 40 minutes on at least one occasion, so perhaps things are already getting better.

About 7 years ago I had totally written off Raymarine but IMHO they have done a full 180 on the customer service front from where they were, now if they could only build the equipment as well as the support we'd be doing really well...
Old 10-03-2010, 20:40   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
No "marine" inverter that I know of (I know most of them) are ignition protected. Remember that even if it is "marine" you still can't put it in a gasoline engine compartment or mount it over batteries.
Old 10-03-2010, 21:21   #14
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I went real low buck and got a $60 black and decker 700 watt. What's the deal with modified or true sin wave? Is true more efficient? The cheapo seems to have no problem powering laptop or anything else I've plugged into it (under 700 watt). I guess I'm content with airx after gutting it and trashing electronics. No good for day to day charge, but great for stormy weather when solar performance is down.
Old 10-03-2010, 21:32   #15
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
"cheapo" inverters

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
I went real low buck and got a $60 black and decker 700 watt. What's the deal with modified or true sin wave? Is true more efficient? The cheapo seems to have no problem powering laptop or anything else I've plugged into it (under 700 watt).
It's not necessarily about whether the cheapo is more efficient. Rather, some devices just plain won't run under a square wave. If you want to really test a cheapo inverter, don't plug your laptop into it, try your electric shaver, especially an non-rechargeable shaver. Worse yet, try one of the old laser printers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: