Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 00:18   #1

Cheap generator alternative to Honda EU2000i?

Woot.com is offering a $300 Onan generator that has outputs nearly identical to the Honda, which I have not been able to price at less than $900.

Problem is, the Onan weighs 99 pounds vs. 46 for the Honda and runs a bit louder - 68 db vs. 59 db.

I can live with the additional db, but at 99 pounds, this Onan generator is probably not workable as a portable unit on a boat. It's also more bulky, obviously, so storage is more of an issue.

Does anyone think it could work on a boat, other than permanently installing it on an aft deck?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 00:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Completely different beasts and can not or should not be viewed as equivilants. Although I am surprised the Onan is cheaper.
Kipor have a copy of the Honda for half the price. Seafox has one and it has run reliably without any problems for a season now. Very quite and is the inverter model, which means the revs vary with load.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 00:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Completely different beasts and can not or should not be viewed as equivilants. Although I am surprised the Onan is cheaper.
Kipor have a copy of the Honda for half the price. Seafox has one and it has run reliably without any problems for a season now. Very quite and is the inverter model, which means the revs vary with load.
Thanks, Alan. Can you elaborate on the first statement? Note that the Onan is normally $500-600. I will probably get one for power outages at home, which seems to be what it's designed for.

I found the Kipor inverter model/Honda copy available from Amazon in the USA for $800, not that much less than the Honda.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:57   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
[quote=speedoo;188961]...Problem is, the Onan weighs 99 pounds vs. 46 for the Honda and runs a bit louder - 68 db vs. 59 db.

I can live with the additional db,.../quote]

Because the decibel scale is logarithmic, 68 db is about eight times the sound intensity compared to 59 db. Not just "a bit louder". I've owned two generators with Honda engines. High quality, and worth it.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:40   #5

Hud..you are right about intensity (SPL) and decibels but in terms of perceived loudness a 3db increase is just noticible by most and a 10db increase is perceived as a doubling of loudness. (Disclaimer...assuming the same frequency noise band.)

So ...I would say that the Onan is nearly twice as loud which is no small thing.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:26   #6

Thanks Hud and cam. That's of course very good to know. I got one of the Onan's (sold out this morning) but for home use only. I'll go with either the Honda or the Kipor for the boat.
Old 02-08-2008, 14:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
loudness a 3db increase is just noticible by most and a 10db increase is perceived as a doubling of loudness.
Yes that is true, but perhaps one other slightly true point should be considered as well. In the case of a Genset, much of the sound is mechanical vibration and should be considered more in terms of Power. 3dB increases is equal to double the power. Much of the noise is transmitted through the hull. So you have close to 8 times more power creating vibration through the hull which results in the noise being heard more easily through out the boat. The boat material will have some bearing on how efficient the noise will travel through the medium. Glass probably not so easily, but steel and Ferro, it travels very easily.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 19:06   #8

1000 Watt Gen set for US$129.00...

Has anyone seen or used the small 1000 Watt generator from Harbor Freight?
Portable Generator — 1000 Watt, Model# TG1200 | 1,000 - 4,999 Watts | Northern Tool + Equipment

For US$129.00 I could purchase one a year for a few years!

I understand it's not as good as the Honda, but still only $129.00.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 19:41   #9

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
I would skip the Chineese generators

I do not own one, but looked long and hard at them before i bought my Honda.

The RV guys had a lot to say about these Chinese built generators. There were several documented instances of very short service lives, and other problems (low output, excessive oil consumption). You might try a search of the RV / camper forums.. I no longer have the links.

I choose to pass on these, as well as the kipor (also Chinese). The Kipor (also marketed under a different brand) is a copy of the Honda, and appears to be a much better unit then the cheaper ones... but they cost almost as much as the Honda or Yamaha 1000.

If I were buying one for camping, or some shore side use only I might try to Chinese ones.. but I would not use them on a boat unless you do not plan to use it long (for instance, if you were cruising, and had a wind gen failure and just needed something to get you by). I doubt they would last long in a salt water environment.

Just a couple pennies worth....
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 19:47   #10

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Here is some info from an older discussion here.

Read this thread;

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...boat-9389.html

Follow the link posted in post 22... follow the link to read the RV guys experiences (some are with the 3000w uint, same mgf though).

Good luck!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 21:48   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Ya get what you pay for......to avoid being called xenophobic......I try to avoid buying anyhting Chinese......

You would be surprised how much of the food on our grocery shelves come from China.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 19:58   #12

Boat: Hughes 38 Thalia
Hi I would avoid the cheap Chinese generators, there's a good reason they are under $150. but if you figure you could use one for a year that's not my experience in watching people throw away unrepairable units. Good luck George
George Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 21:07   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
I'll bet the Chinese can fix them...

Those "cheap" Chinese generators would represent a large amount of money to most in China. I'll bet there are lots of village "mechanics" who know how to fix them.

Exactly what makes them "unfixable"?

I now buy cheap Chinese power tools. Sure they break, but fixing them myself is quicker and easier than taking them back to the shop.

And when they work they work surprisingly well.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 21:38   #14

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
The Harbor Freight generator is actually a two-stroke.
Old 07-08-2008, 22:03   #15

Boat: Beneteau 36
Group :

Can anyone let me know where the lowest price for the Honda EU2000i would be ??

Thanks in advance.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda eu2000