Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-05-2016, 18:47   #1

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio
Charles marine battery charger doesn't work with inverter generator

Here is something i noticed last season, and i forgot to post a question on it. I kept my boat at a dock for a couple of weeks where there was no shore power hookup. I wanted to run my onboard A/C, as well as keep my batteries charged while watching TV, etc..., so i bought one of those 1800 - 2200 watt, 110 volt Ryobi RYI2200 inverter generators with a handle and wheels like airport luggage. I placed it on shore to keep the exhaust away from the cabin. I got a Marinco pigtail cable that has a standard male 3-pronged 110 V plug on one end to plug into the generator, and a 3 pronged female shore power connector on the other end for my boats power cable.

My A/C worked great, and the TV and everything. My twenty year old monster sized Charles battery charger that came with the boat even worked fine, as was evident from the usual hum. One thing i did notice was that my reverse polarity light on my onboard breaker panel was lit, and my modern Charles SP series battery charger, which powers my battery bank connected to my onboard inverter used when out cruising to run the fridge or TV, wasnt working. It wasnt charging those two batteries. I looked up the specs on the generator, and it has whats known as a "floating neutral", whereby the neutral is not bonded to the ground.

My questions are:
Why would this make the "reverse polarity" light come on?
Why would my newer Charles battery charger not work, whereas my older one does?

BTW, i overcame the issue by making a plug that bonds the neutral lead to the ground lead at the generator, and plugged it into the unused outlet on the generator while it is running, and my issues went away. This solution leads to another question - I am wondering why this needs to be done, and can it lead to more galvanic corrosion below the water line somehow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	125230  

Old 30-05-2016, 18:55   #2

Re: Charles marine battery charger doesn't work with inverter generator

the reverse politary light is powered between the ground and netreal wire. normally the voltage is 0v since the green and white are joined together at the dock. so it won't light up.

with a floating n-g that voltage could have been anything. 20v, 60, 100v. who knows unless you measured. the light would be on but not full brightness. full brightness would be at 120v if the hot and N were swaped at the plug.

as for the charger I have no idea. it should have worked. I doubt it looks or senses for a ground voltage or fault.

Old 30-05-2016, 19:26   #3

Charles marine battery charger doesn't work with inverter generator

You are right about the light, is is a bit dim. But why doesn't it light when I plug into an extension cord run to my shed about 30 feet away? Is there a potential voltage difference between the ground and neutral on the generator? I will have to measure next time I crank it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 30-05-2016, 23:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post
You are right about the light, is is a bit dim. But why doesn't it light when I plug into an extension cord run to my shed about 30 feet away? Is there a potential voltage difference between the ground and neutral on the generator? I will have to measure next time I crank it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

your shed plug has the N-G bond (back at main panel), just like a dock does. yes your gen will have voltage from N-G. it could be anything between 0-120v since it's floating.
Old 31-05-2016, 00:06   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1999 Leopard 45, 45 foot cat, 1980 Hunter 33, 33 foot monohull

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
your shed plug has the N-G bond (back at main panel), just like a dock does. yes your gen will have voltage from N-G. it could be anything between 0-120v since it's floating.
Does that mean that one can ignore the reverse polarity light in this situation?
Old 31-05-2016, 03:23   #6

A non marine or low quality cord can show reverse polarity when it gets wet from rain or a heavy dew.

I wouldn't ignore the light.

Conall
Old 31-05-2016, 08:01   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

You can eliminate the floating neutral with a transformer between the gen. and the components onboard. If you want for go to the expense. I've had to do it for a piece of electronics that didn't like a floating neutral.
Old 31-05-2016, 08:20   #8

I had a similar problem with a Charles Inverter/Charger on a new-to-me Carver Voyager 46. I think it was a 2500 watt inverter. It would not charge the battery using generator power, but it worked fine with shore power. Unfortunately, I didn't think of checking the floating ground, which may have caused the problem.

I finally just gave up and bought a Freedom 3000, which worked great.
Old 31-05-2016, 08:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbohner View Post
I had a similar problem with a Charles Inverter/Charger on a new-to-me Carver Voyager 46. I think it was a 2500 watt inverter. It would not charge the battery using generator power, but it worked fine with shore power. Unfortunately, I didn't think of checking the floating ground, which may have caused the problem.

I finally just gave up and bought a Freedom 3000, which worked great.
yeah, i would not have figured it out had it not been for the polarity light. while searching for the reasons for that light, i came upon the solution of grounding the neutral line of the generator receptacle. For a $2 plug and a one inch piece of wire, my issue was solved. when the polarity light went out, my Charles battery charger came on. For whatever reason, i guess they dont like floating neutrals.
Old 23-07-2016, 23:38   #10

Old thread, but would me using this solution lead to the zincs getting used up quick? All my anodes on my mercruiser alpha one drives dissolved quick last season. I haven't yet needed to use the floating neutral bonding this season, but I was wondering if my solution of getting my battery charger to work ended up causing greater galvanic reactions.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-07-2016, 23:45   #11

every on board marine gen has the G-N bond. as does shore power at the dock. if you put the gen on shore and it managed to get a ground to earth. then maybe if you don't have a galvanic isolator. though if it was sitting on a wooden dock then I highly doubt it would get an earth ground anyways.
Old 24-07-2016, 00:50   #12

No, it was a portable inverter engine suitcase generator, a bit like the Honda. It sat on the dock next to the boat, and was connected to my shore power connector on the boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-07-2016, 18:50   #13

It sounds to me like the Charles charger may be wired incorrectly if it only works when you bond natural and ground. I'd guess the charger neutral wire is connected to the vessel ground bus rather than the neutral bus, so it had no return path when the ground is left floating.

Bonding the neutral and ground at a source of power (i.e. the generator) is required in marine applications but not in a residence, hence why the portable generator floats it's ground.

Galvanic corrosion may take place any time current flies through a vessel grounding system. The only sure way to check for it is use of a silver half cell and measure your hull potential.

Tags
battery, charger, generator, inverter, marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: