Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 19:19   #46
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Ad please stop using the word 'noise'.
Honestly, when you insisted on "roar" rather than "noise," I assumed you were going hyperbolic again.
Old 02-02-2011, 20:14   #47

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Barnakiel-

I guess you didn't read a post I made earlier in this thread. The X does have a higher output at 28 mph wind speed, but how useful is that? The Breeze is optimized for the more common lower wind speeds, and should handily outperform the X at, say, 10 mph. For most cruisers the Breeze is going to produce more electricity. Unfortunately, although the manufacturer has the power/speed curve for the X they don't provide the data for the Breeze on the web site (at least I couldn't find it on the too slick web site).
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 16:54   #48

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Barnakiel-

I guess you didn't read (...)

Unfortunately, although the manufacturer has the power/speed curve for the X they don't provide the data for the Breeze on the web site (...)
How do you name in English a person who has something but will not share? A tightass, I think. ;-)

No such asstightness at Plastimo nor at D400 though.

Both powerfull and SILENT units.

Alas - heavier and way more expensive.

b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D400.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	23481   Click image for larger version

Name:	superwind.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	23482  

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 08:40   #49

Boat: Fontaine Pajot, Venezia 42
Ample power

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
It's called an "Eliminator" by Ample Power. I don't know if they still sell them since we bought ours about 12 years ago, but I did find this link just now:

www.amplepower.com/products/elim/index.html

The device doesn't have large charging current capability but that has never proven to be a problem for us. The idea is to not connect your engine bank to anything other than the starter and the Eliminator. You connect all your charge sources and all other loads to the house bank.

A nice thing it also allows you to do is use different battery types for start vs. house and since it is a dedicated charger it won't over/under charge the engine battery based on voltage sense on the house bank.

When we wired ours we actually did put in an emergency parallel switch between the banks with the thought that if the device failed and/or the engine batt was dead we could always connect the two banks manually. But we've never had to do that.
I am on a cat and using a combiner for the alternators and an Ample Power reg. Off the regulator there is a driver for a relay which goes to the two cranking bat. Relay cuts in just to charge the cranking bat. Works just fine so far. Now I need some decent alternators.
islandguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 22:02   #50

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I am thinking that a post at one side of the transom and offset may be the only way.
Another consideration is to put the wind generator in an area with stable airflow.

i.e. out of the influence of anything like a covered sail on a boom.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, solar