Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 17:23   #1

charging relay for generator battery

I want to install an electronic charging relay to keep the generator battery charged (connected between house or start and gen battery).It currently only gets charge from the gen when it is running. Is there any problem with having the generator battery recieving charge from its normal supply and the battery charger when gen is running AND battery charger is selected on. My quess is it would be regulated at the higher setting of the two charging sources.
jerry f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 18:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I think you’re looking for the Balmar “Center Fielder” at:
http://www.balmar.net/PDF/Centerfielder%20Manual.pdf

As an alternative, you might also take a look at the “Auto’ Charging Relay” ~ Blue Sea Systems #9112 at:
https://myeporia.eporia.com/resource...ny_57/6693.pdf
or #7600 at:
https://resources.myeporia.com/company_57/6330.pdf

Although neither Blue Seas device is listed for Dual Source, it appears that you could utilize the double throw switch to lock the Charger out when the Generator (Alt’) is running.
Automatic closure occurs when the higher battery has remained at the required voltage for at least 30 seconds. The ACR opens when the voltage drops below the charging voltage to prevent accidental discharge of an unintended bank.
When connected to an optional ON-OFF-ON switch the ACR can be
turned off, set to Automatic, or manually closed.

If you have a multi-output battery charger, this could also be accomplished by wiring a NC contact on your generator start switch in series with the Gen' Batt output (Charger), such that it opens when Gen' On".

HTH,
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:05   #3

I contacted Blue Sea about their Batterylink ACR and west marine tech support about the Combiner 50 and both said it is no problem having a charging source from both sides of relay. I'm going with the ACR and wiring a 150 amp thermal breaker as added safety. They say it is not needed if your wiring is less than 40" (abyc E-11) but this is the breaker they recommend if wiring is more than 40".
jerry f is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator