Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 14:24   #1

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Charging Engine for Both ac and dc

So looking at various threads on dc gen sets like the aqua gen or the frankenmaster (sp?) or a dedicated ac genset, I wondered why not hook up both to a prime mover ?
Why couldn't you get a 12 to 15 hp kubota diesel, hook up a PMG 3-5 KW head to the crankshaft output on a electric cluth for when you wanted ac power, and have some big alternators like a 300 amp electrodyne on the front of the engine with PTO's for refrigeration and watermakers, all again on electric clutches? When you just needed dc power just disengiege the generator and run the alternator and the watermaker or refrgation compressors?
What would be the major challenges to such a system? I expect regulation would be the most challenging for the ac side. But it seems more than possible to do this, no?
No one that I know of sells such a device. The aquagen is the closest thing but does't do ac power, and I would want that for the air conditioners.
This wouldn't be cheap, when you add up the engine, the generator head, the alternator, the refrig compressor, and the watermaker pump, plus wireing, and such. But it would be pretty cool.

This is the PMG head that I would consider... PMG - High Power AC Permanent Magnet Generator - Designed for high reliability

Alternator
Electrodyne Alternators high output

The prime mover would/could be this...
Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine diesel engines and generators for sailboats, yachts and trawler boats.

refrigeration compressor
ENGINE DRIVE

watermaker pump
CAT PUMPS® On-Line - Product Selector: Select a Pump

I have room for this in the engine space depending on how much room the brackets would take. The PMG generator would be mounted in the rear coupled to the output shaft of the engine.
A smaller engine would work as well. But the hp curve I would want would favor higher hp at lower rpm.
Just not sure about the voltage regulation of the ac generator....

I xpect something like this using all new parts to cost around 12K to 15K, including the related watermaker and refrigeration parts. But am still pricing stuff.

Interesting stuff.
Old 08-03-2010, 14:48   #2

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Have you looked at diesel (&LPG) APU units being sold to the truck sector in the USA? These units are well priced self contained units & seem to fit the description plus A/C as a bonus.
Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 21:26   #3

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Thanks Bill, but it would not work for this application.

Tags
engine