Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 08:10   #1

Boat: 8.7 Columbia
Charging Batteries while Underway . . . without an Alternator

Hello again!
With my Morgan, I only have an 8hp Johnson with no alternator. However, I want to be able to operate a microwave and heater at the same time or maybe heater and tv at the same time. What are the best ways to recharge the batteries while out on the water? All of my lighting has been converted to portable LED lighting. So, there is no drain on the batteries there. I am thinking most you may tell me solar panels. With that said, I guess I would need to know more about the sizes to get and possibly the best place to mount them for the best response.
Sailboats Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:17   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
You can pick up a honda 1000 on ebay for about $500. Then you could run your heater/tv straight off the generator, and charge your batteries through an AC charger. Or do both at the same time.
From what I hear, the generator will burn somewhere around 1 gallon of gas in about 4 hours. So you need a battery charger that is strong enough to charge your batteries in less than 4 hours. something in the neighborhood of 30amps on up (depending on your batterysize) should do the trick.
callmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:50   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Tell us more about what you plan to run and how long you plan to run it. A heater can mean anything. I hope it doesn't mean a 1,500 watt space heater! Microwave usage can be anything from 3 minutes to reheat something to 15 minutes to bake a few potatoes. How long to you watch tv?

Untill we know this it is impossible to say what power sources to use. Power in = power out.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:53   #4

Boat: Endeavor, Sloop, 32', Chrysalis
We currently use a 2000w Honda generated to run appliances and charge our battery bank. You might need something this size to run multiple large things at a time. I know our small space heater consumes more than 1000w so I don't think a 1000w would put out enough for your needs. The gas consumption is great at one gallon lasting about 7-9 hours and there is an eco mode that puts out 1000w and consume a gallon in about 11-14 hours depending on how much load you have on it. IE it lasts about 14 when just running 2 10 amp chargers, then throw 400w on Christmas lights and charge a few small electronics and you'll have 11 hours in eco mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers
Old 06-01-2011, 09:09   #5

Boat: 8.7 Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Tell us more about what you plan to run and how long you plan to run it. A heater can mean anything. I hope it doesn't mean a 1,500 watt space heater! Microwave usage can be anything from 3 minutes to reheat something to 15 minutes to bake a few potatoes. How long to you watch tv?

Untill we know this it is impossible to say what power sources to use. Power in = power out.

David
The average is about one hour and a half to 2 hours at night while anchored out and of course the microwave is optional at times. So, lets just say, perhaps a total of 20 mins to prepare a decent meal for two. The heater on the other hand is 750 watts and it will run until it satisfies itself and then just cut off and on as needed to maintain temp below. Keep in mind, I only have a 27' Morgan. It really doesn't appear to be that much to heat to me. I just am not sure that an inverter running off my batteries was the right way to go or just go with the generator.
Sailboats Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:35   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
You mention some items which have a much higher power draw than many on much larger boats would ever consider using underway.

One thought, is instead of figuring out how to power those items, perhaps consider products that will get the job done with less electric demand. My Ipad has an 8 hour battery life and requires much, much less electricity than a television. Propane can be used to heat your cabin and cook food.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:22   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

BEST way being to purvey one of the two thousand missing ex-USSR aeronautical beacons that no one can seem to find. They are self-powered with strontium piles and will produce generous amounts of power for decades to come.

No one seems to know where they have gone off to.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, charging, battery