Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2019, 12:54   #1

Charging batteries in a solar array with AC

I want to topup my batteries to full with AC while moored. Do I need to remove the batteries from the solar setup to charge them? Or can I just connect the AC to each battery terminal while still connected up in the array, to charge each one?
cakesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 13:46   #2

Re: Charging batteries in a solar array with AC

Well, I am trying to learn.
Old 15-07-2019, 13:57   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Welcome to the forum cakesy.

There is no need to disconect solar. To charge the batteries with an alternating current source obviously a battery charger is needed.

Normally rather than connecting the battery charger to individual 12v batteries the charger is connected to the whole 12v battery bank. This will typically consist of several 12v batteries wired in parallel.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 14:00   #4

Hey pro, so I have my solar system set up, it is charging the batteries, the MPPT controllers are here, everything is working fine. I just bought a battery charger to top up the batteries, and had a simple question about charging them up. I thought I would bring you out here just to ask this simple question that could be answered in 30 seconds because the guys on the forum didn't think question like this should ever be asked. Thanks.
Old 15-07-2019, 15:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Welcome to the forum cakesy.

There is no need to disconect solar. To charge the batteries with an alternating current source obviously a battery charger is needed.

Normally rather than connecting the battery charger to individual 12v batteries the charger is connected to the whole 12v battery bank. This will typically consist of several 12v batteries wired in parallel.

Thank you. My concern was that the charger would still know to stop charging when connected to the battery bank.
Old 16-07-2019, 09:20   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesy View Post
Thank you. My concern was that the charger would still know to stop charging when connected to the battery bank.
The charging will be fine with both sources. If you want to leave both solar and the battery charger connected for long periods (weeks or longer) there are some changes that can be made to the settings that will help keep the batteries in the best condition, but there is no need to bother for shorter periods of time.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 09:37   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Guys.. if you dont play nice, you perhaps will find it best to not play at all.

Rudeness will not be tolerated in smug answers. Posts removed. This is CF where help is given to our members.

consider it a warning..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 09:39   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

thanks Noelex for helping out our new member.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 10:03   #9

Boat: Gozzard 36

Isn't there a possible problem depending on the type of battery and the type of battery charger if the battery charger is connected and charging for an extended period of time?

The reason that I ask is that about 10-15 years ago I left the battery charger that originally was on my boat hooked up and charging for about 5 weeks and came back to find that all the water had been boiled out of the lead acid batteries . The explanation I was given at that time was the charger was the old style or cheap type that continued to charge and charge regardless of the state of charge of the battery resulting in 'cooking' and destroying the batteries. This also created a serious risk of fire.
A google search produced this as an explanation:
" A trickle charger can overcharge a battery fairly easily. They run a constant 2A regardless of the state of charge of the battery. For maintaining a charge, you either want a float charger, which maintains a voltage slightly above the battery voltage or a timed charger which cycles on periodically, typically once a day, and checks the current draw by the battery when the charger applies a voltage."

So basically I believe the original poster should be warned (a) it depends on the type of charger and type of battery and (b) you should definitely not leave a battery charger hooked up and charging for an extended period of time and definitely without monitoring both the battery and charger.

Also if the battery charger is being powered by a shore power cord run into the boat that again it should not be left connected if unattended as corrosion will likely occur at one end or another of the shore power cord (especially in a saltwater environment) which again will result in heat build up at the corrosion site with risk of fire or damage to the connectors --speaking from experience :-(
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 10:11   #10

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

Rudeness will not be tolerated in smug answers. Posts removed. This is CF where help is given to our members.

consider it a warning..
We have enough of that nonsense in the world right now
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 13:18   #11

Boat: Gozzard 36

consider it a warning..

HUH?
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 14:00   #12

Hello cakesy

My sailboat electrical system is very basic but I did just install a 400w solar system, 4 6v T105 batteries along with a multistage Progressive Dynamics 9260C charge converter transferswitch and 1500w inverter in our travel trailer. Same concept. Trailer/boat/self contained with periodic shore power.
The multi stage unit prevents cooking your batteries. Basically turns itself into a trickle charger after bulk charging a low battery.
Not terribly difficult to install but a good one runs a couple of hundred bucks or so. My batteries are very happy.

cheers
OkeoverSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 23:28   #13

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesy View Post
Hey pro, so I have my solar system set up, it is charging the batteries, the MPPT controllers are here, everything is working fine. I just bought a battery charger to top up the batteries, and had a simple question about charging them up. I thought I would bring you out here just to ask this simple question that could be answered in 30 seconds because the guys on the forum didn't think question like this should ever be asked. Thanks.
Your question is very reasonable and don't be put off by anything you perceive to be dismissive.

You can connect your AC battery charger to batteries at the same the solar charger is connected. BTW your engine's alternator is also connected to your starting batteries at all times and all these sources work together.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, solar