Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 17:09   #106
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 11,377
Re: Charging 4 banks from 1 alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Sir, there are many types of current limiting devices, one shot (fuse) resettable (breaker) and continuous (solid state). Wikipedia, search "Current Limiting Device", "A fuse is the most basic current limiting device".
Yes by your definition you can call all sorts of things current limiting devices. A light switch can be a current limiting device. Lots of things will, by your definition "limit" current if you define limit as stopping all current. That does not change the fact that the standard usage for that term is for a device that limits how much current flows in a circuit and to use that terminology, not a device that interrupts current completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Can you please focus on the important matters than trying to force everyone to use your preferential wording.
If this is so critical and distracting to the discussion feel free to focus on more important matters and drop the subject any time you like.

Please note it is not just my "preferred wording", it is the wording used in the industry and the wording used in electrical engineering. I seem to recall at least one other person on this thread called you on that issue as well.

Remember, I walked away from responding to you in this thread and said you could have the last word. You directly addressed me in a post to bring me back into it.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 17:18   #107
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C.
Boat: CS27
Posts: 1,360
Re: Charging 4 banks from 1 alternator?

Using fuses or breakers for current limiting is not precise as that is not their main purpose. For example a 20 amp Blue Seas breaker will not open until about 26 amps of current pass through it continually. This is stated on the breaker. Fuses are even less accurate as for example an ANL fuse will pass approximately 150% of rating under load before blowing. This varies a bit with each fuse size. In both cases the breaker will open and the fuse will blow almost immediately in the case of a short circuit. That is the main purpose of a breaker or fuse.

The best solution is not to try to limit current in the case of charging but to wire for the results as far as cable size is concerned.
__________________

__________________
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 18:58   #108
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Ontario
Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II
Posts: 1,065
Re: Charging 4 banks from 1 alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Using fuses or breakers for current limiting is not precise as that is not their main purpose. For example a 20 amp Blue Seas breaker will not open until about 26 amps of current pass through it continually. This is stated on the breaker. Fuses are even less accurate as for example an ANL fuse will pass approximately 150% of rating under load before blowing. This varies a bit with each fuse size. In both cases the breaker will open and the fuse will blow almost immediately in the case of a short circuit. That is the main purpose of a breaker or fuse.

The best solution is not to try to limit current in the case of charging but to wire for the results as far as cable size is concerned.
Please, focus on the important matters, all devices have certain tolerances including solid state
ones.

A fuse or breaker clearly falls within the definition of a current limiting device. What does a fuse limit? Current. Period. I can't even believe this is being challenged.
__________________
Rod Brandon
Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 19:07   #109
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Boat: Morgan 462
Posts: 320
Re: Charging 4 banks from 1 alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Please, focus on the important matters, all devices have certain tolerances including solid state
ones.

A fuse or breaker clearly falls within the definition of a current limiting device. What does a fuse limit? Current. Period. I can't even believe this is being challenged.

Let it go already, Rod! You sound like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. You made your point, time to move on...


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 20:18   #110
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Ontario
Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II
Posts: 1,065
Re: Charging 4 banks from 1 alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Let it go already, Rod! You sound like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. You made your point, time to move on...


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Maybe your right, because I feel compelled to advise that the quotation in your signature was not actually made by Mark Twain.

Seriously, I have devoted significant time and effort to this thread,
providing sound advise, challenging gross errors, and suggesting valid ideas and alternatives. I get quite offended when the terminology nazis come out and attempt to detract from it. If the terminology I used was wrong or potentially misleading, I would be the first one to admit it for the purpose of clarity and avoiding confusion. Moving on.
__________________
Rod Brandon
Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:42   #111
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Ontario
Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II
Posts: 1,065
Re: Charging 4 banks from 1 alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Lots of things will, by your definition "limit" current if you define limit as stopping all current.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Another example of your misquoting and misrepresenting what others have stated.
[COLOR]
__________________

__________________
Rod Brandon
Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alternator, charging

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar Charging Battery Banks bluenoser613 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 15 12-06-2012 04:55
Battery Banks and Charging SVPennyLane Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 60 18-02-2012 18:11
Charging Voltage on Mixed Banks truant Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 1 09-07-2011 03:16
Charging System and Battery Banks johnar Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 10 18-11-2009 19:04


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.