Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2009, 08:07   #1

Chargers - Again

I am in need of a battery charger. OK so it seems that the xantrex true charge 2 are having some problems and they do not offer a large one yet anyway and the iota chargers are not tempture compensated, What is a decent price charger in the 90 -1oo amp range that will properly charge my 500amp agm lifeline battery bank? What is everybody using?
Thanks in advance
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 18:58   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Newmar makes a three stage, temperature compensated 90 amp/12 vdc: http://tinyurl.com/pevre9

If the TrueCharge2 has failed, and it is less than one year old, you should be able to return it to the retailer for a refund.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 19:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
What is everybody using?
I have a 70 amp but I don't use it often. If you are plugged in enough to use it you usually have the time to let it run. One thing you can do its to put it on a timer if you feel the need to be plugged in a long time. Being plugged in is not the best way to be. I have not used my charger in over a year. It works out better if you don't. It eliminates the ground loop required to really get fried.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 19:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
I have a 70 amp but I don't use it often. If you are plugged in enough to use it you usually have the time to let it run. One thing you can do its to put it on a timer if you feel the need to be plugged in a long time. Being plugged in is not the best way to be. I have not used my charger in over a year. It works out better if you don't. It eliminates the ground loop required to really get fried.
I need the charger most in the summer when spending the weekends on the hook. I just arrived home from a 2 week run up the ICW from Fl to the chesapeake and never really needed it as the alt kept the batteries up
Old 21-05-2009, 19:42   #5

Charliej thanks for the link, I will check it out. Yea the zantrex should be under warrently I bought it on line and now I am not sure were it even bought it from