Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2014, 06:36   #1

Boat: Newell, 1998, 45'8"
Charger for LiFePO4

I'm finished with my 1000 amp hour 12V system in my motorhome. Just have to replace the alternator regulator with the Balmar.
However I'm not satisfied with the Freedom inverter/charger. The best I can set it for is 13.7v and at the end of charge it bumps to 14.2v and alarms the Housepower BMS.
Any suggestions for a better charger? I do have 220VAC available.
I would like a charger that will shut off at end of charge. I have a Victron BMV-600 monitor that could send a signal to the charger at a set point to turn it off. Or the BMS has a (non-adjustable) signal.
Thanks!
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 09:07   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Charger for LiFePO4

How about using the BMS HVC signal to kick a relay to shut off the AC to the charger?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 09:25   #3

I can do that either with the BMS or the Victron. But what charger?
My inverter charges at about 115amps max but I can't get the profile to do what I need.
So, what chargers are out there?
Old 18-01-2014, 09:57   #4
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

The Victron Phoenix Multi-Plus and Quattros both have the ability to receive a dry contact signal from a BMS and either stop charging (before hitting HVC) or discharging (before hitting LVC).

Mark Grasser also has a hack for the Sterling/ProMariner chargers that will stop charging upon receiving a signal from a BMS.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 14:39   #5

Boat: Bayliner , 2001 4788 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
The Victron Phoenix Multi-Plus and Quattros both have the ability to receive a dry contact signal from a BMS and either stop charging (before hitting HVC) or discharging (before hitting LVC).

Mark Grasser also has a hack for the Sterling/ProMariner chargers that will stop charging upon receiving a signal from a BMS.
Hello Folivier,

I have the victron mentioned above as does Chris and Cheri in their technomadia blog and on their bus.

I have had mine for 3 seasons as a live abord ( 6 months of the year )and have not had a single issue with it. Mine is a 120 amp 3000 watt inverter as is the bus set up in technomadia. I also have a second 80 amp victron charger I had installed this summer to charge my battery bank faster.
With both in line I casn put a max of about 150 amps per hour into the bank...have not figured out why I do not get closer to the 200 amps toatal yet. Search through my posts if you wish you will see the details of my install.

Hope this helps,
Pete
steelwrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 09:21   #6

I've been emailing with Tornado Science Group in China. David Parkinsun says he can spec out a charger at 14.0 volt (or 14.1 or whatever I need) which with 120vac input will give me 140 amps. This will be a CC/CV charger that should just do a bulk then absorb mode with no float and should shut off once current goes to zero. This would cost about $420 shipped.
What do you guys think? This sounds like what I'm looking for.

Another option would be this one made by Mastech: VOLTEQ, Power Supply, HY30100EX, 30V, 100A, Battery Charging, 110V Input
But I'm concerned since it's adjustable would the settings hold? With the vibrations of driving the motorhome I may have to set it each time?

Tags
charger, lifepo4