Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 13:16   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Cause of high voltage alarm?

the sense voltage is easy to check with the engine off, just put a meter on the batt volts lead and see if there's battery voltage present.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 10:43   #17

Some new info. Last time I ran the engine I got a high voltage alarm (16V). Today, the batteries don't appear to be receiving any charge from the alternator and the regulator gives an error code: " Batts voltage disconnected ".

I think I should be checking the " Field " wire from alternator to regulator. Also, perhaps the ignition switch:

ON / OFF, (required) . . . an input that that turns the alternator field circuits of the regulator on when battery voltage is
applied. Typically it is connected to the ignition switch.

Coincidentally, my low oil pressure alarm and glow pugs don't seem to work...
Caddy Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 16:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Well I’ll be dammed. I’ve just had my ample power sarV3 fail at the 10 year mark. Although a different failure.
I think I need to replace mine. Did you find a source for another Ample V3, or did you replace it with something else that is compatible?
Caddy Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 20:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy Shack View Post
Some new info. Last time I ran the engine I got a high voltage alarm (16V). Today, the batteries don't appear to be receiving any charge from the alternator and the regulator gives an error code: " Batts voltage disconnected ".

I think I should be checking the " Field " wire from alternator to regulator. Also, perhaps the ignition switch:

ON / OFF, (required) . . . an input that that turns the alternator field circuits of the regulator on when battery voltage is
applied. Typically it is connected to the ignition switch.

Coincidentally, my low oil pressure alarm and glow pugs don't seem to work...

It's not the feild wire. That disconnected would not cause an error. It just won't work. It's probably the voltage sense wire. If it was the ign wire or power wire. It would not be on. And have no faults.

Just Check them all

Yiu should have a power wire, voltage sense wire with 12v all the time. The ign wire will have 12v with key on. The feild will varry between 0-12v depending on battery state. Measure at alt reg
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm